Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Ultra Portable Slim DVD+/-RW USB External Drive, Black SE-218BB/RSBS
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on October 30, 2012
This Samsung SE-218 external DVD drive is a useful accessory for ultrabooks and tablets that lack an internal DVD drive. It runs on both Windows and Mac OS systems. Also, no problem for Linux, WinCE, and Android tablets.

It is made of plastic and as a result fairly lightweight (255 g or 9 oz). I like that it comes in a small form factor and runs cool and quietly in the background. I bought mine for around $30 from Amazon.

The drive connects to your electronic device via a single USB 2.0 cable and draws its power via your main device's battery. Thankfully, no external AC adapter to worry about. I don't get the sense it drains the main battery too quickly.

Read and write speeds are decent. I haven't run any formal benchmarks on the device but it seems adequate for my needs. I use it primarily to back up data, install apps, and watch movies. The installation is quick and simple plug-and-play style. No special setup is required.

If you think you need a simple, lightweight, portable external DVD drive, you can't go wrong with this Samsung device.
2626 comments| 417 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 10, 2013
Got this for my 2013 27" iMac because it works EXACTLY the same as the Apple superdrive.

The Apple unit is very pricey but you get what you pay for. The samsung has a lot to live up to so here's my direct *comparison between the two:
* Apple's drive is smaller, more solid and matches other apple hardware.
* Samsung's drive is lighter and works as good but at 1/3 the cost.
* Apple usb cable is permanently on the unit, samsung is detachable
* Samsung cd tray slides out, apple sucks in and spits out the disk from a slit
* Both use one usb cable for power/data and have roughly the same dimensions
* Read/write speed on both are limited to USB2.0 speed

Conclusion:
I went with Samsung because of the price (obviously!). Wish it were more solid since it will be used strictly on my desktop but that's not really a complaint. I use this drive with OSX integrated burn tools and iTunes; no need to mess with the Nero software.

*Comparison based on the apple drive on my 2013 27" iMac at work and the samsung on an identical computer at home.
11 comment| 150 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2012
I was looking for an external CD drive to rip some CDs on my 2011 MacBook Air and did not want to pay $80 for an Apple SuperDrive. This drive works great for this purpose. It's not the fastest drive but has decent build quality. I haven't had any compatibility issues using it with my MBA. For the price it's a solid value.
55 comments| 152 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2012
I bought this to watch dvd's on-the-go with my asus transformer infinity. It took a little bit of tinkering, to make it work. So, to save you valuable time, here's how to make it work on your android tablet.

(1) Install mxvideo player on your tablet.

(2) Plug your dvd writer SE-218 into your tablet via usb.

(3) Press the eject button to eject the tray.

(4) While the tray is open, press and hold the eject button until the green light on the tray stays lit. Then release. This brings your dvd drive into av mode.

(5) Close the tray.

(6) Now, eject and open the tray and put in a dvd.

(7) Your tablet will now recognize your dvd as a usb device. Your tablet will appear to be frozen for about 10 seconds. Don't panic! It's just reading the dvd disc. Just leave it alone until it's read it.

(8) Using a file manager, navigate into the usb device and find a vob file that is big, like a couple gigs or so. Play it with your mxplayer.

VOILA! You can now play dvd's on-the-go. Please spread the word. Amazon is only selling this puppy for 34 bucks. Well worth it!

Edited

I forgot to mention. Every time you plug in your drive to watch a dvd, you will have to eject the tray and press the button for 3 seconds.
1717 comments| 181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2012
Let's cut to the chase:

My Dell tower's CD/DVD drive died (with driver problems etc.) Ordered the Samsung DVD External drive.

You don't realize how small this thing is until you take it out of the box.
Forget about plugging this thing in the wall! There's only one wire and you just plug it into any USB drive on your computer/laptob. Installation done.
(If you have no CD/DVD burning software on your computer you'll have to install the included software for a few minutes.)
I put a CD in the drive and opened itunes - there it is! Copied 4 CD's in no time! Picked my favorite songs off of those CD's and put them in a new playlist in itunes. Put blank CD in Samsung drive. Choose 'burn to cd' from within itunes. A few minutes later I had a brand new Favorites CD for the car. That's it! Project done! Problems non-existent.

This drive is simple, noiseless, easily installed, easily carried/put away, and most importantly affordable.
Why did I ever look at internal drives when this is available? No idea!
WHAT A DRIVE! Highly recommended! 5 STARS
22 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 26, 2013
This little external CD/DVD drive is very nice. No power brick required, it's USB powered. New iMacs as well as Macbook Airs do not contain optical drives any more so if you want to burn CDs for backup purposes or you want to play DVDs, you need an external one. Apple's version is $80 and this one is half that. I'm a longtime Mac user but I can't justify spending a lot of money on a drive that only gets occasional use. This one, so far, is terrific.
on January 19, 2013
Simple: plug it in, put in your CD, and it reads.

That being said, DO keep it on a level surface and DON'T move it while a CD is in there. I was watching a movie in my bed and proceeded to move the drive around. As I nudge it away from me, I hear these loud clicking noises. So I open the tray and find the edge of my CD marred slightly. This may very well be my fault since I am using it in an non-ideal situation, but I definitely did not expect it to actually damage the CD. To clarify, the data is perfectly fine; the edge just has flaws that were not there before.

Overall, it's a good ODD, but I would keep it on your desk or table when you use it.
on December 5, 2012
Would highly recommend this drive for it's speed, quality and reliability. Most new Macs are coming without their optical drives these days and I really wasn't in the mood to pay Apple another $80 for their "super drive". This Samsung drive does the job really well.
One thing that you may find exceptionally handy.....you only need one USB port to power it. Some other burners require 2 ports which can really be a problem for notebook users and those of us who don't have ports to spare. In all fairness, this is a USB 2 drive but I have it plugged into a USB 3.0 port. My understanding is that USB 3.0 ports provide more power then 2.0 ports? Maybe this is why it's able to run off of one port.

Anyway, highly recommend it....and for Mac users, go for it!
on April 23, 2013
I liked the idea of an external USB drive that only needed to hook to one USB port rather than two and this drive had a high rating with several reviewers (not on Amazon) so I ordered it. The computer recognized it without trouble and that is the last thing that went as planned. When I try to run a disk I get the "connect" and "disconnect" signals several times before it will even recognize that there is a disk in the drive. Then, when it finally does see the disk, it stutters, stalls and then finally says "disk is incompatible." The disks are new and work perfectly in two other drives. I am returning it today.
77 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 1, 2013
I have a Macbook and unfortunately, my cd/dvd drive went bad. I read the reviews and majority seemed great, but I was on the fence. I decided to call Apple to figure out if there was a difference between the Samsung and the Apple external. The representative told me "To be honest I would go with the cheaper one". I ordered it right there and then. It arrived earlier than expected and worked well enough to allow me to update my hard drive. I would recommend it to anyone who has an apple computer and doesn't want to pay $80.