Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Foo Fighters Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,148 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,295 reviews
on August 4, 2013
I needed an external DVD/CD writer drive for my iMac and it worked great. Saved me more than half what I would have to pay for an Apple SuperDrive. I checked this one out before buying and it was rated the highest on CNET---so I gave it a shot and I love it. Plug it in and the computer recognized it right away and I was off and running. Love the black color, better than the Apple Superdrive white. Highly recommended for either Apple or PC.
2828 comments| 682 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2013
With Windows 8.1, I have had problems with several external optical drives. When all else fails, the Samsung works. It's obviously not the fastest drive in the world. But in the brave new world of Windows 8, it is always wonderful to find something that will actually work. Since buying this little beauty I have run literally hundreds of RW DVDs and CDs through it and it has yet to complain let alone fail. If you're looking for a solid, dependable drive, this is the one.
0Comment| 327 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2014
I've only had the device for three days but I've given it a heavy workout on both a 4 year old MacBook Pro and 2 year old iMac. My wife is also using it on her new MacBook Air. I needed an external drive because my Pro internal drive is dying and often ejects (if I'm lucky) cd's and dvd's without reading or playing them. I live and work in China so listening to cd's and watching dvd's is one of my primary forms of entertainment. I'm mostly a "ripper" when I return to the States because I have thousands of music cd's (including CDR's) that I'd like to listen to again, and I obviously can't travel with the discs. I also watch many dvds on the large screen iMac so I can "retire" the internal drive, even though it continues to work fine. I've yet to try its many other capabilities.

I really like the ease of use of the Samsung. You simply plug it into your computer with a USB cable (cable provided) and pronto, it's ready to go. The Samsung requires one USB cable only, not two cables like many other external drives. This is good news because the MacBook Air has one USB port on both sides of the computer and the USB cable provided by Samsung is too short to reach both sides. I also like the slide out tray because my cd collection is chock full of 3" mini discs that were popular maybe 15 years ago, particularly for international artists that released lavish box sets and ep singles (Ryuichi Sakamoto comes to mind). I can finally listen to the mini discs and rip them to the music library on iTunes.

Now I will tell you why I'm giving the product 4 instead of 5 stars. I'm not surprised with the cheap price and cheap plastic material that some care will be necessary for it to survive long-term use. For example, when the tray is in eject mode, I'm holding my hand under the tray because pressing a cd or dvd in requires a little force. I can see the tray breaking easily if this precaution is not taken. Samsung did not think through this one very clearly, or if they did, a solution was cost prohibitive to remain at the price point.

Finally, my comments are for Mac users. When I read the reviews on Amazon, most reviewers appeared to be PC users and my Mac questions were not answered prior to purchase, like the mini disc use and the ripping to iTunes music library. I'll update this review if the product fails or doesn't withstand heavy use. But for now, hopefully my comments will be helpful as you're making your product purchase decision. So far, so good…………...
on July 17, 2013
Nice little DVD. Can be hooked up to tv or computer. Does a great job with either. I bought this one to go with a small Acer Aspire V5-122P mini laptop. I travel a lot for work and the small compact thin size is perfect. The usb port to allow using it on a tv or other device was a welcome surprise
1515 comments| 233 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 19, 2013
This is quite small, not bad-looking, and worked fine for me with a couple of different PCs and laptops.
It was able to rip a 7.98GB pressed movie DVD in about 17 minutes, which is a lot faster than rip-locked drives.
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 14, 2014
We sell a few dozen of these types of USB drives per year and honestly all of them from the name brands work well and as intended. Even the Amazon Basics "generic" drive is fantastic. Samsung simply makes a sexy device, with a slightly smaller/thinner footprint, and the extra build quality you would expect. I think this is the same price -or only a few dollars more- than the alternatives so if these things matter it is worth the purchase.

With the many devices being carried along with ungodly hours in airports & on the road, I use only ultralight equipment and want (within reason of cost) the smallest & thinnest hardware in my bag during travel. This means saving ounces which eventually turn into pounds matters to me, so also end up with devices from all manufacturers...

You really can't go wrong with this drive.
on September 13, 2013
I used it to put cd's on my laptop (a Mac) and it worked exactly a I hoped (that is, automatically). Good price.
22 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2014
 As you can see in the video, this is a very solid, versatile DVD/CD burner. I forgot to mention that I've also had great experiences in burning and playing not only DVDs but CDs with this machine. It's very portable and versatile. While I don't find myself using it daily, it's very useful for my use whenever I need it (which is probably a few times a month). I haven't had any issues with this product and would definitely recommend it to a friend.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 16, 2016
I've been using the Samsung USB 2.0 Portable drive with my 21" Apple iMac (2009) for about 2 years and it's been a great performer. My internal Superdrive in my iMac quit writing to CD and DVDs so I needed another option. My iMac and associated applications have no issues reading and writing to the drive (I've used it for the following formats: CD-R/CD-RW/DVD-R/DVD-RW). Even at USB 2.0 speeds, the drive can write to a new disc very quickly and reliably.

Like most Amazon shoppers, I count on honest, unbiased reviews. I hope you have found this review helpful in making your purchase decision.
on November 22, 2015
In less than a month, the drive started making noises like it was trying to load, but it wouldn't play DVDs. I contacted the Amazon Marketplace seller, who told me to contact the manufacturer. I filed an A-Z Guarantee (what a joke!) with Amazon, but they said I didn't return product within 30 days, so they can't do anything. The fact is that I made my first complaint within 30 days, but they have no record of it. The following week I made another complaint because I had not heard from anyone, THEN it was over 30 days since my receipt of product! I will never buy another thing through Amazon Marketplace. And I'll never buy another electronic device online. It's not worth the hassle when it needs to be returned. Live and learn!