Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on August 21, 2013
After about 4 years of service my CLP-315 finally quit. The drum unit needed replaced, and as anyone knows that is a hefty price tag. Initially I was excited about seeing what was new, especially "wireless". After reading reviews and reviews and reviews of printers....I decided not to get any samsung model that came before the SL-C410 and was finally leaning towards an HP. After waiting for months I picked up the quest again and saw that the SL-C410 had come out last month...but no reviews. My previous samsung was a work horse and thought its time to give the new one a shot, besides amazon sticks to its customers.

Pros:
-Read the directions...I know many previous "wireless" printers had issues with people not printing correctly....this one worked first time and seems great.
-Great color and FAS; it processes the full picture quality quickly, quietly and surprisingly without the smell that the previous model had been known to cause
-Space saving, one of the smaller printers
-prints quietly
-the wireless connection was surprisingly fast...I was not expecting to process faster than my previous USB

Cons: nothing of consequence, but will gladly update if something arises....

As of now it looks great, it seems to be ready and willing to take its place. It prints fast, almost out before I can reach down to get it. I will come back in a few months with an update...

Update...
The color is definitely an improvement over the older CLP-315, and comparable to any HP Color Laser I have at work. The reason for my update, is that I had to replace my router, and remembered I had to update the printer for it. I literally ran the software, pressed the wifi button, and it completed the task itself. You really can not ask for anything more simple. Great Job Samsung
207 helpful votes
208 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on March 3, 2014
I am upgrading this review to 4 stars for two reasons. First, Samsung made a huge effort to get it working for me. A high level support person spent over an hour with me last night. He was able to get it working when connected through Ethernet to my router, a Cicso/Linksys WRT54GS2. I could also see it through my Chrome book wireless, when connected thus.

He speculated that the problem of making the printer completely wireless (that is to router) might be the router. I looked up the WRT54GS2 and it came out in mid 2010, almost 4 years old. I believe the printer would work completely wirelessly with a new router, but I will probably end up keeping it connected through Ethernet to the current router because it will be faster that way and I'm tired of networking ;) If I get a new router I will update this review.

Also, on the 8 character router password, he said he didn't have that problem with other setups and was probably a limitation of the router and the authentication I was using WPA Personal (and not version 2).

The second reason is that the print quality of the printer is very high and I love that, for a color laser printer, it is light. As a USB printer I would have given it 5 stars for value. I printed a couple of photos and was impressed by the quality (for a laser printer).

FROM BEGINNING

Spent oodles of hours trying to get printer to connect on WiFi. Samsung tech support ultimately came through for me.

My router is a late-model Cisco / Linksys. Turns out the Samsung wouldn't connect to the router with a password longer than 8 characters (mine was 13 characters). When I changed it to 8 characters it worked.

Also, Windows 8 (countless, the number of ways that software is abominable) does not let you change the password on a network by right clicking. You have to "forget the network" first. Yes, Microsoft, I would never want to change the password, I would want to forget the network!

Will post update when I start using the printer. I'm giving it 3 stars because this password issue is either a Samsung software bug, or should be listed as a potential problem in their FAQs.

UPDATE 3/3/2014

WARNING, There may be a factory Wi-Fi problem with this printer. I can't connect to it wirelessly through another PC without FIRST configuring it through USB. This means you would have to drag every computer over to it to get it to connect wirelessly. That is not my idea of wireless ;)

Their tech support sent me to the instructions and there is a link to set it up manually, wirelessly, but the content was changed for USB only. It seems the printer does not correctly broadcast itself properly for Windows to see it so Samsung is not longer supporting wifi setup of this printer.

I am downgrading this review to 1-star until Samsung corrects this, or what I have found.

UPDATE 3/4/2014

I sent an email to Samsung. They replied with one of those emails you can't reply to. They sent the same instructions that don't work. I am giving up on getting the printer to work wirelessly and will use it as a USB printer and throw it out when the cartridges give out.

[...]
35 helpful votes
36 helpful votes
on January 12, 2015
I purchased this printer to use as a wireless printer, hopefully with all my devices. It has more than made that wish come true. It prints from multiple devices and has a nice print quality. I've printed pictures and other high-res images as well as text documents.
I hooked this printer up via it's included usb cable, installed the driver, chose wireless then removed the cable after installation. That's it, it worked first try. I've also been able to print from my android tablet and phone. Also my wife has been able to print from her iphone and her android tablet with no issues. Hope this helps you in your search for a good quality printer.
5 helpful votes
6 helpful votes
Enthusiast: Woodworkingon January 21, 2015
Like a few others, I bought this to replace an older wireless Samsung printer. It was a CLP-315W. The last time I moved, the movers dropped it and it would have cost too much to fix. In comparison, the SL-C410W's image quality seems to be better. The SL-C410W seems to take a little longer to warm up but once it is, it prints just about as fast. For the light duty use I bought it for, it's great. Should last me years, although the starter toner cartridges seem especially small compared to the ones that came in the CLP-315W. The black cartridge is already down ~15% after printing a few financial documents and a few revisions of a "for sale" sign for my old car - maybe 30 or 40 pages total.

My only real complaint is that the printer takes longer to wake itself when I try to print from my computer. Sometimes I go press the power button on the printer to wake it up and get things going faster. Maybe there's a setting for that.

To setup this printer without installing the bloated drivers that came bundled with it, I connected the printer to my router, went to my router's IP address in a browser, found the address that it assigned to the printer, went to the printer's IP address and configured the printer there. Login in to see the "Settings" menu and unplug the wired ethernet cable when you're done, so it will connect wirelessly. Your computer should be able to find it on the network. Not sure if additional steps are needed on Windows.
on April 28, 2015
We have had this printer for just over 1 year now. It worked GREAT when we first got it. The toner cartridges that come with it run out quickly, about 3 mos. Then it is just about the cost of the NEW printer to replace toner - NOT TO MENTION DRUM REPLACEMENT ALSO! You eventually have to replace BOTH the toner AND the drums......it's better to just buy a new printer! Not cost effective at all.

Additionally, compared to our old OKI laser, the print quality is poor - our old OKI 5200N was expensive to replace toner & drums also, but the print quality was FAR SUPERB - waterproof, glossy and really crisp and clean. This printer looks almost like an ink jet, but the depth of color is nowhere near that of a good (Canon) ink jet printer. Also, the OKI cartridges would last almost 10 mos-1 year vs this one at 3 mos, maybe 4 tops.

To ADD TO THE ISSUES, this WiFi on this printer is a NIGHTMARE! First, it was fine, worked with anything WiFi, printed on multiple devices, PC and Mac....then out of the blue it started to have issues - PC no longer able to find it via WiFi, then hook up the cable and the PC finds it, but then the Mac cannot via WiFi anymore. We are 2-technical trainers in the CE industry and tried all kinds of troubleshooting, rebooting, new toners, etc.....and STILL cannot print except from ONE device now!

Just a lesson for us, as this is our first Samsung product. I had doubts, being int he CE industry but thought I'd give Samsung a try - nothing but regrets. We later bought 2 Galaxy Tab's and had nothing but issues with BOTH of those as well! I will NEVER buy Samsung products EVER again (customer care is a nightmare as well, basically they just expect you to eat the cost and buy new after 1 year)!
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on January 24, 2015
I purchased this when it price dropped, but ultimately returned it for the Brother HL-3170CDW, which also price dropped to a comparable range. If you can wait, don't buy a printer until either mid summer or Black Friday/Cyber Monday. You can use amazon price tracking sites to confirm that the prices of most printers plummet at these times of the year.

Pros:
-By far the best quality printing I have ever seen. If quality is your only concern, pull the trigger and buy this badboy. You will not be unhappy.
-Price is on the cheaper end of laser/LED color printers

Cons:
-If any toner color runs out, you cannot print at all (even different colors)
-Toner use is based on total pages printed (i.e. if you print 1000 pages with no print, it will think it is out of toner)
-You need to purchase a chip to override the "out of toner" message
-Wireless connectivity is absolute s*** unless manually connected to your wireless modem/router.
-ePrinting is shotty at best and takes multiple (LONG) attempts to get to work properly.
-It does not automatically double-side print
-The paper tray (which is not visible in any pictures!) sticks out by about 7 inches. The image provided is when the paper tray is not functionally loaded. If you want to have you paper constantly left in the printer (like normal people expect), then plan for a flimsy/breakable piece sticking out of the front.
-Not much paper is able to be loaded
-Thicker papers not able to be loaded easily
-Tray feels like it may break easily and is an office hazard.

TLDR: If you want the best quality images and are not worried about wireless connectivity or using different paper thicknesses, then this is your printer. If you want to be able to print large quantities without disturbance or wired connections, looks elsewhere. This is not appropriate for a home office (or in my case, the apartment of a medical student who prints a few hundred pages of material a month)
11 helpful votes
12 helpful votes
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 14, 2017
UPDATE (1 year after purchase): Printer started adding random marks on all printed sheets. Contacted Samsung, who spent the time and money to send out a technician, who replaced the imaging unit. It appears the imaging unit Samsung supplied them with was defective, as this caused the printer to start jamming. Samsung is now saying the whole thing is an issue with the toner cartridges, even though I went through three sets of toner and had the issue with two of them. Samsung also refuses to replace the toner even though they are claiming the toner is defective.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Very slow to print and constantly has connectivity issues with wifi. Had to switch to USB. Color quality is good but not stunning. Paper tray doesn't hold a lot and also sticks out (as shown in photo). The photo on the box doesn't show this, though, and it's a little less of a clean look. Not recommended.
11 comment|Report abuse
on April 19, 2015
Small little printer. Not easy to setup. Paper tray jams about 1/2 the time--which is just annoying. Colors are so/so but what do you expect for the money? I can live with all that. What bothers me the most about this unit is the fact that it kicks into Econo mode--and Samsung set that up to print to pages to a single page. Or 50%. Why does it do this? Someone at Samsung thought it was a good idea. It's not. Not only that. It kicks into Econ mode--on it's own. What do i mean by that? Try printing from different computers on my network. It keeps defaulting back. I had Samsung service get on my PC's, and they couldn't figure it out. "No idea why Windows 8 does that". They re-installed printer drivers, updated them, and then told me--who if you network it, you should override the install and do it a different way. The kicker is, it still didn't fix the problem. My recommendation. If you don't mind constantly messing with settings, or paper jams. It's not a bad little printer. I wouldn't buy another.
3 helpful votes
on December 19, 2014
This one was nothing but trouble from the start. I had trouble syncing it wirelessly with my PC and Wifi but eventually accomplished it by plugging in with the included USB cable. The printer had many problems from software pre-viewing my photos in black and white and printing them in b&w to jamming upwith every photo paper that I tried until I just settled for a matte photo paper. Then within a few weks it would making a loud rachetting noise like the sprocket wheels would not fully engage. Samsung had me send it back at their expense and they decided to send me a newer model. It has not had the problems of the original except for the photo paper. I purchased 3 name brands but it will not accept any glossy photo paper without jamming. I settled once again on the matte photo paper. Otherwise it seems to working fine only getting error codes occasionally. I found that it is best to go right to the Samsung app on my I-Phone and Samsung Galaxy and locate what you want to print from here rather than try to print from the open item you decide to print. The truth is I have never had any issues with HP printers and I bought this because my Samsung Tablet will not print to anything but a Samsung printer. I should have figured out a way around this instead of buying their printer I guess.
3 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on March 19, 2016
The printer as such is working..also on the wireless connection, ... it is a very small unit for a color laser... the smallest I have seen.
Though beware the dimensions stated on Amazon do not include the paper tray being loaded with paper.... that makes the unit 4 inches deeper.
When not in use the unit goes asleep and stays asleep. Only the power button seems to wake it up.

Do not try to use the "Samsung Cloud Print" software. If you want to print from your I-Pad or I-Phone your are out of luck. This software is a piece of unfinished half cooked junk. In the app store it seems to get a 1 star rating. To print an email you have to configure your email account within the Samsung cloud software...so you can not print from within the normal email application. When trying to setup a basic G-mail account in that software it comes up with "Can't connect to server" ..I called Samsung and they gave me the run around for half an hour, then they finally stated that the software has not been tested on the new iOS 9.2.1....
So the label on the box is misleading to say the least .

Following up on this on line I found that there is a firmware update for the printer. In comparison to a Brother or HP update this upgraded is cumbersome to install. Following all their instructions, the thing has to be hard wired for this, the unit did NOT upgrade the firmware.
There also seems to be a setting that sends the printer asleep and it stays asleep until you hit the power button, then it has problems going back online. So basically every print job gets stuck in the cue, if the unit has not been used for a while.
There seems to be a setting in the printer management which reads something like "Wake on event" ...that is by default disabled!
So I changed that and hope at least that problem will now go away.
33 comments|Report abuse