Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Samsung Series 5 3G 12.1-Inch Chromebook (Titan Silver)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now

on August 14, 2014
It's functional - curser continually gets stuck so we have to turn it off and back on, but - it's functional. Probably would spend a little more for a little more quality if I had it to do over again.
on July 30, 2011
Pros:
It's fast
2 years of VERY LIGHT 3G service
Browses almost everything you need
Overall solid feel

Cons:
No NetFlix support yet
Touchpad is really bad (I have a different Samsung that works a LOT better)
Outlook Web Access doesn't work well
Printing (like from google maps) is difficult at best.

I use it when I am just kicking around, but it's not a laptop replacement for me. It is good because it comes with some light 3G service which during those rare times I'm not on Wi-Fi is just fine. The 3G service is remarkably peppy (~1MB down) and is a LOT better than using it on a phone.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2011
I've used this Chromebook as my main laptop on and off for a few weeks now. It's pretty nice, but a few things make it clear that it's still a first generation product.

Pro:
- It really does start up quickly. Open the cover, you're there.
- The battery really lasts all day.
- It's the chrome browser and nothing else. It's pretty awesome.
- The keyboard is pretty good.
- The trackpad is Macbook-style, not as nice but pretty good.
- I expect it won't easily become slow over time (as normal OS's do) or get viruses.

Con:
- Too regularly, the browser tab crashes on me. I have the feeling they're ironing out these bugs (summer 2011), and I am pretty confident this problem will go away.
- The hardware quality is so-so. It's a little plasticy. Especially compared with a macbook. Then again, it's only 500$, so that's to be expected, and it's really quite acceptable.
- The only thing I really miss about living in the cloud is not having access to my Dropbox files.

In short, when the next version comes out, I'm getting one for my mother in law. And for me.
on July 9, 2011
The chromebook is not a netbook or PC.

To understand the chromebook experience, install the Chrome browser on your current computer, set the home page to tab view, and install multiple apps (gmail, google docs, etc.). If you do not have a google account, get one and experiment with utilizing the Chrome browser and apps for everyday tasks.

After a few days of this experiment, you will realize that you can complete 95% (or more) of your personal tasks within the Chrome environment.

Major considerations (negatives):
- This is not a workstation and cannot run high performance games or professional software like 3D CAD or Photoshop
- This computer is limited to web surfing and running programs (applications) that are available on the web
- This computer has limited hardware (e.g. you cannot directly connect a printer or play a CD/DVD)
- This computer requires a high speed Internet connection
- For the limited functionality, this hardware is too expensive (penalty for being an early adopter)

Major considerations (positives):
- Instant startup (compared to Windows systems, this computer is light-speed)
- Very long battery life (8+ hours)
- Robust construction (Samsung design)
- Keyboard for actual typing (advantage over tablets)
- Promotes (requires) keeping data in the cloud, which makes it accessible from mobile devices and allows you to easily share it with others
- Perfect web surfing experience - no task bar, update notices, lag caused by anti-virus scanning, or other operating system interruptions.
- Simple, no complexity

Bottom line:
The Chromebook is not a PC but can perform most of the typical functions. Try the Chrome-only experience for a few days/weeks and decide if "a life in the cloud" meets your requirements prior to purchasing. At this time, I do not recommend utilizing the Chromebook as the sole computer within your home (primarily due to the lack of hardware support for printers and CD/DVD/Blu-Ray media). I anticipate that hardware solutions will become available in the future but they are limited now.
on February 24, 2014
I got it with Verizon service, it is just as light as my netbook, but now instead of having to look for wifi hotspot I have wifi everywhere through Verizon.
I don't think this laptop will ever replace my netbook or laptop or my MacBook. but for web browsing on the go. it cant be beat it loads up in seconds, has all my links from google chrome and it light enough to carry everywhere.
on January 13, 2014
I got this for my wife and she loves it, i used it myself once in a while and for me it works perfectly to browse the internet. Most of the time is used for school work, at first i taught i was not going to be able tp write essays but to my surprise it works great and i can almost do everything i do in a regular pc.
on December 12, 2014
The Chromebook itself is fine. It boots up fast and is pretty useful if you only use browsers and apps. The charger that comes with this laptop, however, is garbage. The pin is needle thin and snaps from regular use after just a few months. Samsung won't replace the charger unless you send back the ENTIRE computer.
I don't want to have to buy a new charger several times a year...
on September 10, 2011
I love the Chrome book. It is fast and I will trade many things for fast. It brings up web pages fully loaded before I have finished typing in the address. Yes you have to adjust after using other OS for the last 20 years but it felt similar to when I got my first smart phone. This would be perfect for most users. I am very happy I decided on the Chrome book.
on October 1, 2014
Okay, even though I spent some time at the Verizon store, and online with Samsung, to 'erase' the previous owner's 3G mobile number, I stumbled on how to do that: modem-reset. Voila! I have 3G and love the great resolution of the screen.
on December 1, 2011
I've had my white WiFi version for about five months now and its great! Since I do 95% of my work on the web this is the perfect second computer for our household to compliment our desktop computer.

I use it at home via our Wifi network as well as at the middle school, swim center, ski base lodge, etc. In my travels I always seem to have access to a WiFi network. In retrospect I think I probably should have opted for the 3G version with the include monthly time for those rare occasions when I'm not in my usual route.

But otherwise I only experience one probable with it in five months which was fixed by a simple reboot. No virus upgrades, operating upgrades or long boot times. Its always available in a few seconds for web browsing and email. It lives on the coffee table but it likes sitting in family members laps best!

I recommended one to a friend who is looking to get her mother on the Internet. Since all your data lives on the cloud, you can't do anything that will lose it.

One of the biggest surprises to me was how easy it was to connect to our printers connected to the desktop computer.