Top critical review
8 people found this helpful
Reliability and Samsung Customer Support Take A Nose Dive !!
on November 15, 2014
Samsung is a major player in the electronics and HDTV market and there are many excellent in-depth technical reviews on the performance of these Samsung sets. The purpose of this review is to comment on the overall reliability and customer support on Samsung products and to share my experience.
1. Extremely energy efficient- $8/year
2. Clear, crisp picture when working
3. Excellent price on Amazon
4. VESA wall mount
5. A best buy compared to the comparable 2013 40" version.
1. Reliability: If your priority is features then reliability becomes secondary to many. However, I believe reliability is paramount. I received a lemon from the outset on this Samsung. The unit consistently cycled on and off making it impossible to watch. It was subsequently returned to Amazon and I purchased a 40" Panasonic which performs beautifully. Consumer Reports rates Samsung reliability at 4%. The highest reliability on these sets continues to be Panasonic at 2% with an absolutely stunning picture compared to its Samsung counterpart. The small price differential was more than worth it to me.
2. Samsung and many other manufacturers, continue to participate in "panel roulette", purchasing other manufacturer's panels to save cost. So, depending on the model and version of your Samsung set, you may actually be purchasing a generic Chinese, Sharp or Samsung panel...spin the wheel and good luck! Panasonic now uses LG panels for their sets. However, Samsung has earned a reputation for using low-caliber components, resistors, capacitors and power supply's compared to other manufacturers such as Sony and Panasonic. This also impacts overall brand reliability if this is important to you.
3. Customer Support: Samsung continues to have one of the worst customer support networks available. Support is globally-outsourced to non-native speaking associates on poor VOIP lines and the company has a long and well-documented history of making it challenging at best to receive manufacturer-supported and sanctioned customer-focused quality and attention. Over the years, I have owned several Samsung appliances only to be disappointed at the lack of their interest in your purchase at having their equipment repaired or replaced under the terms and conditions of their "warranty".
1. 2 Stars for reliability and consistently unacceptable customer support.
2. Consider what is most important to you in choosing a TV then select accordingly. Reliability and quality components are highest for Panasonic, LG, Sharp and Sony and lowest for Westinghouse, Mitsubishi and Sylvania.