Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 114 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 164 reviews
on January 18, 2015
I am only posting this comment to relate my experience with this television, which is quite disappointing after all of the glowing reviews I have read. I never write an "out of the box" review so keep in mind that the issues I have experienced did start to occur after the TV was in use for just over a year, but I still think that the information may be relevant to some.

Up front, I do want to add that there are some excellent things about this TV. The picture never failed to be brilliant, sharp and just plain exceptional. It is slim and light and just an all around beautiful display. But, I want something that will stand entirely alone and not fail after a year out of the box, this did not deliver.

Failure started a year after we started using the TV. The SmartTv, apps, and internet connection just completely failing. When we first got it, we could do so much through the TV/internet connection with just a USB keyboard. It was a little clunky, but a nice feature. Shortly after, the sound quickly deteriorated, having to turn it up almost all the way to hear anything. I had to hook it up to my receiver -- now I had to worry about 2 remotes. The second year after purchase the power started to cycle and completely shuts the television off and back on. I have read there was an issue with other models, but not this one. This is not a once a day or even once in blue moon problem, it happens several times an hour. We don't watch TV often, which is what makes this even more frustrating.
on April 1, 2015
The Samsung UN40ES6100 does have a nice picture, for that I'll give it a star. If you want to watch a DVD, or perhaps cable programming - this television may be for you. But if you like streaming video - well you are in for a real treat!
One of the nicest things about the UN40ES6100 is the hours of fun you can have trying to watch Amazon prime or Netflix. A 50 minute program can take up to 2 and a half hours to watch on Prime because you get to interact with the television by hitting return and resume every time the little spinning wheel appears (which is frequent). Netflix is not much better. In fact any streaming video at all on this television is subject to freeze and force you to return and then resume (if possible). This television has got to be the dumbest smart television ever made, and sure I'm not far behind in stupidity for paying good money for a television as slow, unresponsive, and constantly updating as this one. I thought it might be the router, so we bought a new one... Then we thought, perhaps the signal is not strong enough, so we bought a repeater for the wifi. We have 5 bars of 5 Ghz and 5 bars of 2.4 Ghz signal in the living room and that thing just sits and spins. But I can get on my computer and watch full movies on Prime or Netflix with not a single problem. My family will never buy another Samsung television.
on May 19, 2013
I will start by saying that I did not buy this TV for the "smart" features. I have an iPhone and a laptop.. I don't need my TV to play youtube for me.

That aside, this TV is absolutely amazing. I just moved into a dorm (I'm in the AirForce) and so the 40" suited me perfectly. I bought the TV purely based on the recommendations for how it looked. Honestly, that should be the only factor in buying a TV - its looks.. & this TV delivers.

I use the TV with Blu-Ray and the movies are amazing. I was tired of the grainy appearance with my other TV and the Samsung is perfect for showing both bright and dark colors.

As a hockey fan, I also love the 240hz refresh rate coupled with the fact-action sports setting on the TV. It shows the puck flawlessly.

Sound is about average on this TV but these days most people use surround sound anyways,

Honestly, I can't recommend this TV enough. It will be the only TV I ever buy (I'll need a bigger one when I get my own house) and my friends love it. Every time I have new friends over for a movie someone makes a comment like "this movie doesn't look like this on my tv.. how much was this?"

I don't typically write reviews but I felt strongly enough about this TV that if it can sway even one person to buy it then I know it was worth it. Summary: don't buy it for the "smart" features, that's what your phone is for; don't buy it for the sound, that's why you have surround sound; buy it for the looks, that's really all it comes down to.
on April 15, 2014
Pros:
Excellent video Quality Colors.
Multimedia USB Port (mp3, jpg, avi, mkv, mp4, others).
Nice Volume Level for a BedRoom.
You can disable the sound of the TV when you use remote control buttons.
It support USB External HDD Devices, I have tested 60GB, 500GB & 2TB of storage. More the bigger more slower to get in.

Cons:
Smart is not so Smart.. is Slow.
Wifi Problems.. TV connect sometimes to wifi network.
Youtube App Sucks.. video freezing all the time, you can't watch videos in this TV, and nop... is not my internet services.. and I'm thinking is not the Youtube App either.
There are less than 1024MB of Memory storage! WTF??? My Phone have 8GB and is not enough.
There are only 3 USB Port.. I would like to have more! :-P
The Black scenes are not so Black.. I'm thinking is because is a LED TV. :-/
Remote Control Keyboard is not friendly.
on April 19, 2013
I had a 7 year old Samsung LCD TV, in my bedroom, that did not have a good picture. My main TV is plasma because of superior picture (color and motion). If you are in the same camp, read on. When my bedroom TV gave up the ghost recently, I started to research other TVs. I knew there are only 3 major LCD panel makers, and really don't know whose panel you're getting in the brand TV you are buying. The real difference is in processing, features, and quality. For LCD TVs, Samsung, Sharp, and Sony are the best (IMHO). Looking at features and price, I decided to go with this Samsung ES6100 40" LED TV.

Let's cut to the chase. The HD picture is extremely crisp, sharp and clean. The color rendition is very good. Flesh tones are excellent. Reds are true (which is a problem with many LCDs). The only minor complaint about color is that some pinks (especially on comercials) pop out really bright. Samsung has really hit a homerun with this TV. My plasma TV is no longer my favorite.
on April 19, 2013
This tv is beautiful, and I'm very happy with the picture quality and extremely slim design, and ease to setup.

HOWEVER - beware purchasing from Amazon Warehouse Deals, even "like new". Mine was supposedly in like new condition, it arrived with no protection on one side of the tv, and significant damage to the plastic casing at the front and large scratches on the back, which will affect it's resale value if I ever move (and annoy me every time I look at the broken plastic on the front). It's probably worth shelling out the extra couple of hundred bucks to get a new TV. I'm pretty sure at least the damage to the plastic casing was a result of poor packaging. I have been emailing and on the phone with Amazon trying to get a discount (update: they gave me a 20% discount, which was nice!), but it's still disappointing to have to see the broken plastic every day. That plus the amount of time wrangling a refund basically means I should have bought a new tv in the first place :(
on April 7, 2012
This is a great tv -- lightweight, nice picture, tons of features, has surprisingly nice sound, and is exactly what I was looking for. I checked it out at Best Buy first, but you can't beat Amazon because delivery was free and faster. We have a 42" LCD smart tv in another room and its amazing how much more natural and crisp the picture is with the LED. It took 5 minutes to set it up, and it has a great swivel stand. Overall, I am really happy with this purchase.
44 comments| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2012
I'm not sure if Amazon and UPS are at fault here or not, but I have received two of these now and they both have had irritating minor defects.
The first one I ordered had a noticeable crack in the frame around the TV on the bottom-left corner. I contacted Amazon and had it replaced. Now the replacement also has something off with it: the TV is slightly tilted to one side. There's about a 1/4" difference in height from the right side to the left side. I'm thinking the TV stand or stand mounting bracket on the back is off. I know it's a minor issue, but when you buy a brand new expensive TV, you want everything to be right! Now this is annoying me to no end and I'm wondering if I should send this one back as well... urghhhhhhhhhh >:(

Other than that, the TV itself is gorgeous and works fine. I would love it if not for these little issues. Do I just have terrible luck?
on January 13, 2013
Pros
Excellent display. Thin, lightweight, elegant case with slim bezel. Average to above average remote control.
The sound is OK. Wifi works and is pretty easy to setup. It doesn't make any sounds when you turn it on or off.
Cons
Smart TV feature works, but is slow and clumsy, sometimes annoying. I'd give it 5 stars were it not for this shortcoming.
The manual states that the wall mount requires a 200mm x 200mm VESA pattern with M6 screws, but my unit required M8 screws. Of course, they did not come with either the TV or the mount.

I read some of the earlier reviews where the TV has developed problems after an hour or even a week.
Most of the reviews were positive however, so I decided to give it a shot. The price was right. I've had mine for about a month now and I can happily say that I've had no problems with wierd or changing colors, network problems, or login issues.
So what are my complaints? Short answer - it can be downright annoying.
Samsung missed the mark where so many other companies miss the mark these days, in the software.
The Smart Hub on my TV works just okay. Getting around is a little slow, but it works. I wouldn't call it a total failure like I read someone else say. Maybe my unit is newer. That doesn't mean it's not annoying.
I got this TV for the bedroom. I like to watch movies streamed from Netflix, and catch the local news and weather once in a while. As a result, I haven't had a need to connect this TV to a cable box. I just watch whatever channels the cable company sends in the clear (all the locals, plus a few cable-only channels). If you plan to use a cable box and ignore the built-in tuner, you'll save yourself one of the headaches that I went through. Programming favorite channels is not at all intuitive, and waaay more complex than it needs to be.
I had to access the built-in manual to figure out how to do it. (The built-in manual is one of those things that you're glad you found, but know you really shouldn't need in the first place.)
The channel programming is divided into two separate functions. Initial channel scanning is under the setup menu (pretty straightforward), and programming favorites is under the Smart Hub menu. I suppose the logic is that the lines between TV and internet are getting blurred, so it makes sense to put channel programming with internet functions. Right. You can't rename channels. You can reorder them, but it's rediculously painful to do. This part isn't very smart. Oh, and if the so-called "Smart Hub" was really smart, it would remember your last selection, and not default to "Family Story" every time you enter. Quite painful if you use the Smart Hub alot. Clearly they have some work to do. The good news is that all hope is not lost. Since the hardware is pretty good and it's the software that's flawed, all we have to do is wait for them to fix it, right?

Well - what's the first thing this "TV" did when I turned it on and connected it to the internet? It downloaded the latest software and rebooted itself! After using this device (or any Smart TV) for a while, one thing will become clear. It's really not a TV. Think of it as a viewing appliance. A computer-controlled cable tuner connected to a display. It boots when you turn it on.
It's pretty quick, but you can tell it's booting. Manufacturers love software based devices because they figure that they can fix it with an update. It doesn't have to be perfect when it ships. That could explain some of the problems people had early on, as well as why problems for some developed later.
on April 30, 2013
This unit is great considering the technology available. It can't be evaluated based on a cable signal considering cable refreshes at 60mHz & this unit is faster at 240mHz. You will be able to see the differences in quality of the input on the other end, ie. digital vs analog, high def vs older tech. Blueray is a dream come true. In short, the rest of the industry needs to catch up to the quality of this unit. As for "Smart TV", I can live without it. It's slow, requires me to get a wireless keyboard & mouse to use it & I have to agree with others who've said..."my lap top is a lot quicker." To be fair, this is the same complaint all of these "smart tv's" have in common. Time & tech will speed things up. I got this to have a wireless monitor for my laptop. Should have done more research. A hard wire is still the best way to stream from a laptop from more than 10 feet away. I guess if all I needed was social media & online services I'd be much happier. But all I wanted was a monitor to stream to.