YED Save up to 90% on textbooks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 New Year, New You Valentines Day STEM Book House Cleaning TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now NYNN

Size: 65-Inch|Style: TV|Change

on October 17, 2015
Okay, let me start this review by saying i'd consider myself somewhat of a tech guru and i'm also a big fan of Samsung products so my expectations of this TV were extremely high as I've always had good luck with every product I've purchased from them which includes cell phones, laptops, and other TV's. Also, I purchased this TV to replace my Top of the line 8500 Series 42" Plasma TV in the living room and that TV has an absolutely stunning picture; in 2012 I paid about $1700 for it (further hiring my expectations of this LED TV). With that being said I'm going to try and be as in-depth as I can in this review because I read a lot of negative reviews that I'd like to address with my experience.

First off, the Shipping (I know this has nothing to do with the product itself but it seems to be something a lot of people worry about and dwell on)
-Like most Amazoner's I was a bit nervous purchasing a $700 TV online, not because of Amazon but because of the possibility of it getting damaged in transit and then having to go through the whole return & replacement process. But the TV arrived in two days from time of purchase (Amazon Prime) via FedEx and the box was in perfect condition, the same as you would expect when purchasing from best buy. As I un-boxed the TV everything was good and the TV was protected with Styrofoam as well as a plastic sleeve covering the base and screen. There was absolutely no scratches or cracks on the screen or any other part of the TV and honestly it would have to be a pretty rough ride for that to happen as the TV is secured in the center of the box by the Styrofoam but these things happen. Before I mounted the TV above the fireplace in place of the old one I wanted to plug it in and make sure the picture and everything was functioning how it should, when I plugged it in it went through the installation process connecting to the internet and updating. Directly after that I went to the Netflix app and that's when I noticed that there was a dead pixel center left. This isn't a huge deal and is in no way a bad reflection on Amazon or Samsung, these things happen (a year ago I bought a laptop from best buy and got it home and it had several dead pixels). This is really the nature of the beast when dealing with electronics and is more of a quality control problem than anything.

Performance & Picture
-Now aside from the pixel issue (which is only noticeable on dark screens) this TV performs like a top of the line LED. The picture is stunningly clear and smooth, the colors are extremely vibrant, and the blacks are exceptionally deep especially for an LED. When it comes to the hertz of this TV I have had absolutely no problems with shadowing or blurring during fast action sequences so I can say it is actively 120hz. I use my TV's for a wide assortment of things, I watch a lot of Sports, play video games, and watch a lot of movies so picture and sound are extremely important aspects for me. This TV performs, I put it to the test with 1080p football games as well as first person shooters on the PS4 and I was extremely pleased. When watching sports I'd suggest turning on the "Sports Mode" too, this further optimizes the picture as well as the Audio. Like other reviews have said The factory settings for the picture will need some tuning (factory is a bit dark) depending on how you like it, I like the dynamic setting with the brightness up but that's all a matter of personal preference. Also, Samsung had a real problem with the 2013 &14 Smart Software in terms of freezing and lag, I can say without a doubt that these have been solved with the latest Smart Hub updates. Keep in mind that this TV doesn't have the Dual Core Processor like the models above it but it is quite snappy when searching the internet browser or opening up your Netflix apps. A lot of other TV Brands have done away with incorporating a web Browser in their iOS and I'm pleased that Samsung has kept it because I think its a great feature. The speakers on the TV are truly impressive, the volume goes 0-100 and in my fairly large living room I would never need it about 40. I was listening to Sirius radio and had it on 75 and it was clear and loud for a TV. Also the pre-programmed Audio settings are great, generally they really don't do much when you put it on "clear voice" or "Movie" but with this TV you can hear a noticeable difference. My favorite aspect of this TV is that it can Identify and open my 2TB Seagate desktop HDD. Now, this is great for people like me who have a ton of videos, movies, pictures and other media on an external HDD and want to be able to open and access it in one spot for a true multimedia center. My other TV did not have the capability to read this, but this smart TV not only reads it but it has all the codecs to be able to play a wide range of media; So with 2 USB ports you can plug in 2 thumb drives or HDD's and switch between them by pressing the Source button on the remote. Lastly, I had read a few reviews about how terrible the viewing angle on this TV was and the fact that it could only be viewed from certain angles, I really don't understand this. I have this TV mounted on a telescopic full motion articulating mount that can go in just about every possible position and I put the TV in the most skewed positions (positions no one would ever watch TV in) and it was just the same as perfectly level. I saw absolutely no difference in picture quality or anything else. I can imagine that in some of those positions there might be a problem with glare in high lighting rooms but that's not the TV's fault.

If I had to have a complaint
--If i had to have a complaint it would be that the TV is fairly thick for a 2015 TV. We have come to expect everything to be as thin as possible with today's technology but this really doesn't bother me, id rather have something with a little substance and built solid. However, for someone that low profile is their number one they may want to look elsewhere. And when I say thicker, I mean about 3 1/2 inches -- the TV is light in weight though. Also, the remote is very simple, I would have enjoyed a TV remote much like the one that comes with Vizio's 70" TV with the built in QWERTY keyboard but oh well. Finally, the HDMI situation, like others have stated this TV does only have 2 HDMI ports, which is a bit disappointing because if your like me you like to have your cable or satellite box, your PS4 or Xbox, and an HDMI cord running to your laptop plugged in all at once. It's inconvenient but it is easily fixed. All you have to do is buy a 3 or 4 port HDMI switch that automatically senses which port has a signal for 10$ here on Amazon. This TV only having two HDMI ports should in no way deter your from buying it, especially when there is such an inexpensive easy fix.

Return & Replacement
-Because of the Dead pixel I obviously had to contact Amazon for a replacement. Now instead of going through the online process I called Amazon's Award winning customer service to talk with a Rep Directly. Keep in mind this TV was delivered on a Friday at about 3PM, I called customer service at about 7pm and after talking with them briefly they issued me a replacement and had it ordered in about 20 Minutes. Within that time I was emailed a packing slip and a shipping label to attach to the box. Amazon then arranged for UPS to come to my house and pick up the TV for return. This worked out great because Monday morning UPS delivered the replacement and picked up the damaged one. I mean honestly, what else could you ask for from a company that deals with online products, they go above and beyond what anyone else in the industry is doing and they truly strive to keep there customers happy and coming back. I will choose to deal with a company like Amazon who treats you like a valued customer rather than give my business to a circus like Walmart who makes you jump through every hoop possible when returning or replacing an item every time.

I highly recommend this TV for anyone who is looking for a Mid Level priced LED TV that performs like the top classed models. This is a great choice if your not quite ready to spend the money to make the jump to 4K and I can't imagine the 60 or 65" TV's in this class perform any different.
1818 comments| 1,092 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 18, 2015
Huge crystal clear picture. Bright and sharp. Bought this to replace a 51" Samsung I had in my bedroom. Fills my room with picture and sound. The smart function works perfectly. Now I have no need for any other machines in order to watch Netflix or Amazon. Nice feature. Very happy with this product. If you are going to spring for a TV this big, you're going to want to get a sound bar and sub-woofer as well. I purchased a Samsung sound bar to go along with this TV. The internal TV speakers work fine, but you won't get that big booming surround sound without an external speaker system. For price and quality, you can't beat Samsung. I won't buy any other. My old 51" Samsung is going on 7 years without a problem, and is now in my living room to replace an LG TV I had out there. I had a 51" LG, and the 4 HDMIs burned out within 3 yrs. I had a Vizio, which went to crap on day one, and if you ask me, Sony is just an expensive name. Nothing but Samsung from now on, as far as I'm concerned.
99 comments| 424 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2015
This TV has excellent, vibrant color, much better than avg. especially when the picture mode is set to "dynamic" instead of standard. There are enough contrast, backlighting, etc. controls to tweak it even better for those so inclined.
UPDATE 9/22/15: I'm slightly red-green colorblind (I fail those dot tests but see bright reds and greens ok) and I am thrilled at how vibrant the reds and greens are -as well as the rest of the colors. For example, I've been watching "Everybody Loves Raymond" for years including frequent reruns and only after getting this TV did I realize that Marie usually wears a pretty blouse that has a lot of red or pink or purple in it. END UPDATE
When you turn out the room lights, the blacks don't become grays as happens on many sub $1000 TV's.
It is a true 120 Hz TV that uses software to push it to 240 Hz, which helps give a tremendously short response time of 7.8 ms - the shortest time measured on any TV by rtings.com - resulting in very minimal motion blur, which not only makes movie video pop. but it is great for those playing state-of-the-art video games.
At least one review says the picture quality drops off when viewed at a 17 degree or greater angle, but I think it's close to optimum (dynamic setting) at least to 30 degrees.

The same review says that it plays, full screen, 1080i and 480i with a very excellent picture, but for some strange reason 720p (ABC, Fox, Ion, some shows on PBS, old movie/TV show channels, etc.) seems a little softer than normal but "probably not noticeable by most." I think the 720p picture clarity looks as good as on other sub $1000 TV's and, of course, the color looks much better than avg.
UPDATE 9/22/15: After a couple weeks of regular season NFL games, I've been comparing the 720p video quality from ABC and Fox with the 1080i video quality from CBS - flipping channels back and forth - and I don't notice any "softness" from 720p which, by the way, has twice the refresh rate of 1080i so motion blur is slightly less - which is why big-on-sports ABC and Fox chose it over 1080i. END UPDATE

Another review complains about poor smart TV response to WiFi, but I had no problem setting up my Amazon Prime account directly with this TV (no computer, no Roku, etc. needed) and right now I'm streaming, with a slower-than-recommended 1 Mbps broadband service, the movie Star Trek: Into Darkness from Amazon Prime, and I'm getting a just slightly less than DVD-quality picture, in terms of resolution, with wonderful color stretched horizontally all the way across the screen. I'm over 1 hr. into the movie and haven't experienced any interruption at all.
No smart TV's are quite as good as computers for finding things. You can browse the web from the TV, where the up, down, left, and right buttons on the remote move the cursor and a keyboard display appears when you need it. But it's still MUCH easier to browse the web on a computer. I browse Amazon Prime shows with my laptop and store those I want under my Watch List. That makes them easier to find on this Samsung TV.

I do NOT have cable TV, and this TV picks up 52 broadcast stations with the top-rated, indoor Winegard FL5500A Flatwave Amped Antenna ($50.59 here at Amazon as I write this), a thin plastic sheet 13" x 12", pinned (1" diagonally in from each upper edge) to the top of my 1st floor TV room's 8 ft. wall. I live 7-10 miles from most Baltimore TV towers and 30-45 miles from most Washington, D.C. towers.
This TV picks up the schedules of all the channels - broadcast or cable or both - and shows a choice of a detailed Menu list on the entire screen of whats scheduled including details for each show or it shows a list of what's currently playing on the other channels on the right side of the screen while watching your current show.
The audio is not phenomenal, though there are several settings including "movie," "music," and "clear voice."

Personally, I planned to spent up to $599 for a TV but went an extra $50 when I got this much better TV for $649.99 with a 2-yr warranty thanks to a $150 off coupon at Costco (where it's sold as the model ...620D instead of ...6200, but is the same TV) that ran thru 8/2/15. But I've done my homework and believe this to be the top under $800 TV because of the great picture quality and the decent quality other aspects. This Samsung looks better to me than the similar-to-$800 offerings from LG, Vizio, and Sony in the same size.
1212 comments| 259 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2015
Purchase this in Oct 23, On Dec 28 picture went bad... talked to amazon, they worked with me and said it was an internal problem with the TV itself. they said it was still in warranty and courteously sent me to Samsung warranty dept. The department had a more than acceptable amount of background noixe and hard to understand or hear customer service person. They repetivitively tried to blame the tv problem on the cable box. The television does not have a cablebox. They tried to say it was the HDMI cable. The TV is hooked to a CATV coax cable. They kept trying to blame this and that, none of which anything applied, the lady said hold one minute ....line went dead... never left me any number to call. I WILL not reccoment Samsung or any of thier products to anyone. Still have 2 month old tv under warranty that is not working properly. screen keeps going in and out.
1313 comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2015
I bought this TV even after reading some of the bad reviews below. But my experience with the TV has been all positive. It arrived in perfect condition, was easy to set up and the picture quality is excellent. I didn't buy it for its smart TV feature but that feature does seem to work great, even has a web browser . I don't use Netflix but I did stream some movies from Amazon and they look awesome on the 55 inch screen. So I'm totally happy with it.
11 comment| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 29, 2016
First of all not sure if we have scam reviews on this thread but:
The packing was amazing samsung box inside a huge unbelievably sturdy outer box (think running of the bulls :). Tv is just great! The smart tv I plugged directly into my router. Setup was very easy. The smart tv part is fast responding and smooth (getting to Netflix etc) anyone saying that it lags between screens is scamming as far as I am concerned!! The sound is good for a tv speaker. If you want real quality then sound bar but its very nice for me. The TV arrived at my door in a day and a half!!!!! Rushed home so it wouldn't sit out there. Beautiful picture for sure!!
on July 3, 2015
The picture quality on this TV is great, but the electronic features are minimal. I bought this with a Samsung HW-J450 soundbar, the two being sold by Amazon as a package. This TV does NOT have ARC on its HDMI, or Samsung Anynet+, so as a result the TV remote will not control the volume on the soundbar. (A Samsung TV with Anynet+ will control the soundbar from the TV remote -- ultimately I moved the soundbar to another Samsung TV where it worked just fine.) This lack makes it difficult to use this TV with a surround sound system, or even with a soundbar from the same manufacturer, unless you are happy using multiple remotes or you are willing to program a universal remote to work with the various components of your system.

The picture quality is quite good, however, and if that is all you need, this is a good value.
88 comments| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2015
Just installed it last nite so still have to work out alot of the settings, but it took me longer to run the wires through the wall and get my cable box working again than it took to get the TV itself going. Very easy to walk through the initial settings, quickly connected to my wifi, and had Netflix up and running in minutes. The smart part of the TV does run a little slow, but i knew that before purchasing. If you want something that moves lightning fast then this isn't for you, but if you can wait 10-15 seconds for apps to load up then all's fine. Colors are a little bright but that's just a matter of playing w/ the settings. I would suggest having a 2nd set of hands if mounting on the wall like i did, less chance of accidentally pushing on the screen and causing a problem. Sorry for the bad pics, couldnt get the glare out of the pictures, but TV works well with lights on or off, didnt notice much reflection off the screen. First pic is with lights on, second pic is with lights off.
review image review image
on April 22, 2016
My tv was cracked and broken. I wish I could have seen an actual picture on it. There were scratches on the screen and the base which indicates this was not a transit issue. Someone had this television set previously. Below is a picture after I plugged this baby in.
on December 14, 2015
This review is about two lessons I learned after buying TV on Amazon.

Lesson 1: don't buy TV on Amazon
I ordered that TV and was super excited the day it was supposed to arrive (it was just before Holidays), as I had so much stuff to watch/play using it. Unfortunately, after unboxing it, I saw what you can see on the attached picture. Very disappointed, I had to order a replacement from Amazon and postpone my plans after the Holidays. Additionally, I had to send it back to Amazon on my cost. Amazon reimbursed me, but only for $20, while cheapest option I found to send it back was $50, and it was using UPS. I ended up paying $70 at USPS (cheapest option available), as it was closest to the place I live.

Lesson 2: always check the specification of any device on manufacturer's website - don't believe Amazon's description
When it finally arrived in working condition, the second big disappointment happened - this TV does NOT support hdmi-cec or anynet+. What does it mean? It means that if you have a device that you want to connect to your TV (as I do) and control using the Samsung TV remote, you won't be able to. The worst thing is that the product page mentions anynet+ in two places, so I believed this TV indeed supports that standard.
review image
77 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse