Samsung a157 GoPhone (AT&T)
This item at this price, sold by Amazon.com, is currently reserved exclusively for Prime members.Prime free trial and invitee customers: We will automatically apply an Amazon.com Gift Card to your Gift Card Balance in the amount equal to the Prime exclusive discount after you become a paid Prime member. If you cancel your paid Prime membership or return the qualifying smartphone within the first 3 months of your paid Prime membership, we may void your Gift Card or charge you in the amount of the Gift Card. Terms and Conditions apply.
- Easy-to-use clamshell phone for voice communication and text messaging-
- Pay for just the minutes you use with no annual contract--easy refill via Internet or prepaid cards
- Up to 6 hours of talk time, up to 240 hours (10 days) of standby time
- What's in the Box: handset, rechargeable battery, charger, operating instructions
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
- Size (LWH): 1.83 inches, 0.65 inches, 3.76 inches
- Weight: 2.88 ounces
- Network Compatibility: GSM
- Phone Book Capacity: 100 Entries
- Minimum Rated Talk Time: 360 minutes
- Minimum Rated Standby Time: 240 hours
- Battery Type: Lithium Ion
This is a GSM Samsung A157 cellular phone that was activated through AT&T(formally Cingular).This is ONLY compatable with AT&T/Cingular service.Its the phone and battery only with **NO CHARGER** Its in good condition,is a used phone,was tested and works. *****PLEASE NOTE:If you are buying this phone for use on a carrier other than what this is listed for or for use outside of the United States please see the following: It is the BUYERS RESPONSIBILITY to check for compatibility on their carrier and understand what technology this phone uses.This phone is currently LOCKED to the listed carrier and would need to be unlocked to use on another carrier*****
The sleek and stylis Samsung a157’s compact design is perfect for those who primarily want a device for voice calling, but also want the ability for SMS text messaging. It also gives you access to AT&T’s 3G network so you’re connected with speed and style. It’s the technology you want – without the big monthly commitment.
Other features include mobile web browsing, SMS text messaging, and speakerphone for easy hands free talking. It also comes with AT&T mobile care that allows you to get up-to-date account information, add funds, and manage your account right from your phone. You can also download ringtones and wallpapers.
Pay As You Go with GoPhone
With AT&T's GoPhone pay-as-you-go service, you get all the benefits of wireless without the surprises--no long-term contracts, credit checks, or deposits. You can easily refill your minutes via prepaid cards or the Internet, or choose to prepay each month and roll over unused minutes.
You can choose from a variety of plans that suit your individual needs--including monthly and daily plans with unlimited talk and text messaging as well as a simple per-minute plan. And with Rollover Balance, you can carry over your unused account balance when you refill before your balance expires, up to the account maximum (learn more below).
The Samsung a157 weighs 2.82 ounces and measures 3.76 x 1.83 x 0.65 inches. Its 800mAh li-ion battery is rated at up to 5 hours of talk time, and up to 10 days and 6 hours of standby time. It runs on AT&T's dual-band 3G network (850/1900 MHz; HSDPA/UMTS). It has an internal memory of 256 MB.
What's in the Box
Samsung a157 handset, rechargeable battery, wall charger, user manual, phone and feature guide, SIM card, PAYG quick start guide, and PAYG user guide.
AT&T GoPhone Service
AT&T's pay-as-you-go GoPhone plans are wireless plans made easy, simply pay in advance for what you need. No long-term contracts, credit checks, or surprise bills--just all the benefits of wireless, with no complications. In addition, AT&T's Rollover Balance feature lets you carry over your unused account balance when you purchase refill minutes before your balance expires.
Other great GoPhone features include no long distance or roaming fees across AT&T's national service area, the ability to track usage via text messages with an updated balance after each call, and the ability to refill your minutes 24-hours a day, 7-days a week. You can also choose to add international long distance for calling to over 50 countries (including Mexico landlines and Canada) for just $10 for 250 minutes. And you can cancel any time without penalty.
GoPhone Plan Options
- $50 Monthly Unlimited Plan includes unlimited talk, text (both U.S. and internationally), and access to Internet data and web browsing (smartphone users must purchase a separate data package).
- $25 Monthly Plan includes 250 minutes of talk time, unlimited text messages, and international texting at 25¢ per message. Data and mobile web browsing is charged per use, or you can buy a package.
- $2 Unlimited Daily Talk & Text is a good plan for those who do not use their phone every day, and data packages can be added. It's charged ONLY on days when the phone is used to make or receive a voice call (including a call to voice mailbox), use IM, or send a text or picture/video/sound message. Data is charged per use, or via a package.
- Per Minute enables you to make phone calls at just 10¢ a minute--perfect for those looking to use their phone very infrequently or for emergencies. You can also send texts at 20¢ per message (25¢ per international message), or choose a monthly package. Data is charged per use, or via a package.
Smartphone users can use any of these GoPhone plans, however, a smartphone require a data/web package to use data/web services. Pay-per-use data/web is not available on smartphone devices. Data packages for all GoPhone plan options (for mobile web access for e-mail, Facebook, Twitter, and more) include the following:
- 500 MB for $25
- 100 MB for $15
- 10 MB for $5
Data packages are good for 30 days, as long as your account balance is not expired. Standard rates apply if feature package is not renewed after 30 days.
How to Refill Your Account
For your convenience 24/7, you can add money to your account in a variety of ways and in a variety of amounts.
- With Rollover Balance, if you refill your account before your balance expires, you keep your unused balance.
- Purchase a refill card at any AT&T store and over 200,000 other retail locations in the U.S. Most refill cards will let you dial *888* to refill using the PIN number on the card.
- Use a credit/debit card and visit att.com/mygophone to refill online. You can also set up Auto Refill and Text to Refill, which enables you to refill directly from your phone.
To check on your current balance, dial*777# and press SEND to receive a text massage indicating your account balance and expiration date.
AT&T GoPhone refill cards are available in these amounts:
- $15 (30-day expiration)
- $25 (90-day expiration)
- $50 (90-day expiration)
- $60 (90-day expiration)
- $100 (1-year expiration)
Top Customer Reviews
The only issue I have with this phone is that if you press the middle AT&T logo button it starts to connect to the web (although it warns me first). My issue with that is I can't change the default setting to something more useful (or disable it). That is a really trivial point, so no star lost.
A word of caution: One can easily insert the Sim card backwards as I did on my initial attempt. Going back, I re-placed it with the notch in the card matching the notch on the inner lining of the phone itself. Had I carefully read the instructions, I would have known this but haste made for frustration. The same could be said for setting up the phone with the basic functions so a word to the wise there. The call quality is very good and once back up to 'old speed', the various navigation movements can be done with minimal drama.
I plan on carrying the a157 fulltime in my main vehicle along with the appropriate mobile charger for those times I might forget taking my Note II with me OR when one of the phones is outside its calling zone. The a157 is AT&T while my other phone is with Sprint. I elected to bite the bullet and take the 10cents a call package, paying the $100 for a full year so I wouldn't have to renew the thing every few months or so. AT&T dings you for EVERYTHING on this unit! Checking voice mail? Ding. Setting up voice mail? Ding. It does provide a current standing after every usage as to where you stand with the financials so that's somewhat helpful.
Summing up, it's an okay phone and if what you want or need is the basic stuff or, like me, a seldom used backup, I think you'll be okay with it too.
Please don't ask me how but you can change the cell tower address. I left this feature alone because it is working fine but in the future if need be you can make the adjustments. The other feature I wish it had is a way to send your photos from your computer to your phone to use as wall paper. Over all I would recommend this phone to any one.
This phone does not have an external caller ID display - so you'll have to flip it open first to see who is calling - but if you're like my uncle, it's mainly for him to call out so he really could care less.