Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,488 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,573 reviews
on March 23, 2012
I just received the card today, so not a lot of time logged... But it is smokin' fast! I had some issues recording 1080/30fps on my D5100 with previous PNY Professional card. Several tests with HD video and consecutive still frame bursts never even hiccuped! I'm 99.4% sure this is going to cure all of the past woes. (The PNY is now relegated to my sweet new Samsung TL500. No HD video on it, so No worries!)

What I wanted to point out to those looking is that this IS the latest 45MB/s SDHC Extreme 16GB card. AND it's at the same or better price as others selling the previous models!

Maybe I'm the only one that's confused about the different versions of the SanDisk SDHC cards. But I searched and searched trying to make sure I was getting the latest card instead of overpaying for old stock. I even contacted SanDisk, and their customer support didn't even know that the Extreme is now 45MB/s! They actually told me that I would have to buy the (now outdated and overpriced) SDSDXP1-016G to get 45MB/s. I researched this for a couple of evenings, and still knew enough to explain to SanDisk that the SDSDXPA-016G is the new version of what they told me to buy, and it's now 95MB/s for the same price!

So here's the breakdown of what I found as of 3/22/12:

Lower price Extreme SDHC:
SDSDRX3-016G - 30MB/s - OLD
SDSDX-016G - 45MB/s - CURRENT (Apparently Brand New)

Higher price Extreme Pro SDHC:
SDSDXP1-016G - 45MB/s - OLD
SDSDXPA-016G - 95MB/s - CURRENT

The cards are all about the same price if you buy the same classification and GB size. (A 16GB Extreme is going to be twenty-five to thirty bucks regardless if it's 20MB/s, 30MB/s, or 45MB/s.)

I don't know if you really need this Extreme card vs. Ultra or Extreme Pro. You can determine that... But don't Overpay for the same performance! Be sure you Get the Latest Version of whichever you choose.
1818 comments| 511 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2011
The speed of this card may be overkill for standard shooting/filming. However, I use Magic Lantern on my 60D, which is a firmware modification that runs off of the SD card. I noticed that my Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E had a hard time keeping up with some of the functions of the additional software. I decided to give the faster card a try, and the functions (such as magic zoom and focus peaking) work much better now.

Of course, pulling pictures and video off the card is also quicker than with the Transcend. Although both cards are "Class 10," the SanDisk is 50% faster than the Transcend.
1717 comments| 485 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2013
I bought this card because the card that Amazon recommends you buy if you buy a Nikon D5100 from them is the Transcend Class 10 memory card. Well when using the Transcend card in my camera everything was fine, UNLESS I tried to use auto-focus in P,S, A, or M modes then it would just try to focus all the way one way then all the way back and never lock in. So I called Nikon Tech Support thinking my new camera was broke. They asked which brand of memory card I'm using, I said "Transcend, that's what Amazon recommends". They said "That's not an approved brand of memory card. You need to get an approved brand of memory card and call us back if that doesn't resolve the issue". Well I have worked many years in computer tech support and I'm used to company's pointing the finger at another company's product if they can feasibly tell you the other product is what is causing their product not to work properly. So I (unfairly as it turned out) told Nikon they didn't know what they were talking about and were just pointing their finger at the only thing that was not made by Nikon.

So, then I grudgingly ordered this Sandisk Extreme memory card, having very little faith that it would solve my problem. Well I'll be damned if it didn't resolve my focusing issue! Nikon was RIGHT! So, if you own a Nikon DSLR, save yourself some frustrations and buy an approved brand of memory card and don't take any chances. I'm keeping my Transcend card as a backup because it works as long as I don't use one of those 4 modes, even then I can use it if I manually focus. I mean it stores the pictures fine but it somehow interferes with the electronics in the camera's auto-focusing circuitry.

So the bottom line, at least for my needs, is this: The Sandisk Extreme gets 5 stars. The Transcend gets 3 stars.
Hopefully I've saved someone from buying the wrong card.

And for the record, the Nikon approved brands of memory card (at least for my D5100) are: Sandisk, Toshiba, Panasonic and Lexar Media.
on July 13, 2017
Was good for my T3i, until I tried to go into burst mode. Buffer filled too fast, and I missed too many shots. Got a 80mb/s card, and gained 1fps on my burst. Still too slow, but that is the best a T3i can do. I now have the Canon 80D, with a 7fps burst. The 80mb/s card keeps up well, and gives me 20-25 shots (jpeg) in burst mode. The 46mb/s card, not so much, it's more like 10-15.

For the money, you would be better off getting a newer 32GB 80mb/s card for about 15 USD. But if you never shoot video or burst mode, this card would be fine, but I don't think the cost difference from the recommended card is enough to justify (like 3 bucks).
on December 20, 2013
I am completely satisfied with the SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC 45MB/s Class 10 UHS-1 memory card. I have a few other SanDisk SD cards that have performed flawlessly for years. Thought about saving a few bucks by buying the Ultra version but went with the Extreme as it has a considerably faster transfer rate as well as built in ECC error correction.

I generally take photos with my camera's image capture mode set to RAW+JPEG, at 14 bits per channel for RAW. That generates a fairly large image file size so I prefer SD cards with high write speeds. My camera is a couple of years old so it doesn't support UHS-1.

My PC is four years old with USB 2.0 ports. Since the internal card reader in my computer is unreliable at times, due to driver issues with Win 8, I bought a Transcend TS-RDF8K USB 3.0 multi-card reader here on Amazon for $16. It is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and is UHS-1 rated as well. It also has firmware upgrade capability.

Amazingly, I get transfer speeds in excess of 45 MB/s when transferring images from the SanDisk Extreme 16GB SDHC card to my computer using a Transcend TS-RDF8K card reader over USB 2.0. This speed is indicated by the Win 8 file transfer dialog box. Don't see any point in using a specific software utility to benchmark the transfer speed with greater accuracy on a four year old PC with SATA 2.0 and USB 2.0.

The transfer speed does vary depending upon which internal hard drive I use. One HDD is a four year old WD 640 GB Caviar Black, the other is a one year old Seagate Barracuda 2TB. Both are connected to a SATA 2.0 internal bus. While the WD Caviar Black HDD reaches a transfer speed in excess of 45 MB/s, the Seagate HDD lags behind at around 35 MB/s. That may be due to a firmware issue with the Seagate HDD. There is a firmware upgrade available for it, but I will not upgrade firmware for a HDD that has data on it. It's not worth the risk.

Judging from the reviews I've read here regarding SD cards, there seems to be a good deal of confusion regarding what the speed class ratings mean as well as how different capacity cards are formatted. Here's a quick rundown:

Rated Speed: 45MB/s, 30MB/s, 20MB/s, etc. Maximum write/read speed of card
Applies to still photography. Primarily large image files created when shooting RAW, high resolution, or burst mode.

Speed Class: Minimum transfer speed in MB per second in worst case scenario.
Class 10 - 10MB/s minimum, Class 6 - 6MB/s minimum, etc.
Applies to video capture which is a steady stream of data. Minimum speed required depends on video format and resolution.

UHS-1: Up to 104MB/s data transfer rates when both SD card and device support UHS-1.
Some newer cameras are UHS-1 compatible, some are not.

SD: up to 2GB, FAT16 default format.
SDHC: 4GB to 32GB, FAT32 default format.
SDXC: 64GB to 2TB, exFAT default format.

SDXC and SDHC are not supported by all cameras or devices. Check the specs for your device.

Win 7,8 and OS X 10.6.6 and above natively support exFAT as do some Linux builds. Older OS's, such as Win XP and Vista require a patch. Most operating systems support FAT16 and FAT32.

Format the SD card in the camera or device it will be used with for best results.

A low-level format in camera can be used to revive a memory card which is running slow due to bad sectors. Not necessary to use every time you format in normal use.

If the memory card becomes corrupted, it may sometimes be revived by using a computer with a card reader to format first, followed by re-formatting in the camera or device.
on June 13, 2014
I have been benchmarking SD cards for a couple of years now. The new release of this card, which has a gold background and states 45MBS on the front, is very fast and beats the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MBS card in my benchmarks.

If you are considering a Raspberry Pi, for an XBMC media center, for example, you will need a fast card. The Sandisk cards are the best I have found to date.

Here are my results, fastest to slowest, in overall benchmark including random i/o:

1) Sandisk Extreme 45MBS
2) Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MBS
3) Sandisk Ultra 30MBS
4) Lexar Pro 400x
5) Swissbit Industrial SFSD8192L1BN2T0-E-N2-141-STD
6) Sony 64GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10

By the way, the maximum sequential transfer speed (90MBS vs. 45MBS) on the Sandisk cards is not as important for the Pi, since the SD slot maxes out at about 20MBS.

Please note that for camera applications, the sequential i/o is much more important, assuming that your camera hardware can take advantage of the higher write speeds.
on December 4, 2012
I got this card for my Canon 60D. It works great.

I also tried an Extreme Pro 95MB/s card in my 60D and there was no measurable difference in the number of burst shots before the camera's buffer filled up, in the time it took to write the buffer to the card (when the red light stopped flashing), or in the time it took to copy images from the card to my mid-2011 iMac using its built-in card reader. With both cards, my camera can write a burst of 13 Raw (18 Megapixel) images to the card in about 20 seconds.

If you are not sure what speed card to buy, go to SanDisk's web site. They have a calculator which shows which speed cards they recommend for your particular camera or other device. In my case they (correctly) recommend this Extreme 45MB/s card for my 60D. It appears that only the newest (i.e. Nikon D3200/5200) or most expensive (i.e. Canon 5D Mk III) cameras can take advantage of the faster Extreme Pro cards. If you are fortunate enough to have one of those cameras, go for the Extreme Pro. Also, If you have a USB-3 card reader, then you might see faster read times with the Extreme Pro even if your camera can't take advantage of the faster write speed.

In all other cases, go for the 45MB/s Extreme, and you will be very happy with the results.

It is obviously too soon to know how reliable this card will be. However, I have used several SanDisk cards in all of my digital camera's since 2004, and I have never had one fail.
on April 15, 2014
I will say that prejudice forms my opinion about SanDisk cards. I say it without reservation
because there has never been a problem with any flash cards I have purchased in over 10
years.

No problems of any type when cards were purchased for my DSLR, Full HD movie camera,
media player or any of the assorted jump drives. Maybe I am due to receive a faulty card;
statistics being what they are. Nothing is perfect and that is life.

There has been some comments on the color of this particular card. The yellow card shown
on the Amazon web page for months now is the new color of the card. My card, in its original
SanDisk packaging, is the standard red and black label configuration. For what it's worth at
bottom of the package, in very small print, is a copy- write date of 2013. Meh.

It still has all the correct specs on the card and packaging: 16GB, Read/Write Speeds of up
to 45MB/s, SDHC, UHS-1, and "FULLHD Video". The operating temperature of the Extreme is
-13 degrees F to 185 degrees F. Maybe I got what was left of the old color. Doesn't matter
to me.

What is important is that it is working and without problems. Again, I would kindheartedly
recommend this flash card, no matter what the color, to any and all who need a reliable card
for advanced photography and Full HD video
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side Bar: Just between you and me, I like the old color. The yellowish color seems wimpy and
just plain homely.
on May 8, 2013
I bought this card to replace one of my Transcend 16GB Class 10 cards, which was going into use in another device. This one had finally come down in cost enough for a cheap skate like me to give it a try. I primarily used the original Transcend card in my Canon T3i camera, which I bought at the same time as the card. The Transcend card did a good job and I never really had any big complaints aside from the burst mode, which would only allow me to take about 9-10 shots before the buffer would slow down to write to the card. The first time I used the SanDisk card to take a series of burst shots, I kept waiting for the camera to slow down to write, but it never did. I took about 20 or 25 shots before I finally just took my finger off of the shutter button, and it never once slowed from the 3.7 (approximate for you purists) shots per second that the camera is capable of. I had read the specs on the write speeds of this card vs. other Class 10 cards on the market, but didn't expect it to make that big of difference. I like some, assumed Class 10 was all the same, but I am happy to discover that I was wrong after buying this card. If you intend to do any burst mode photography, I suggest paying more attention to the write speed than I did initially. All of the Class 10 I have used now, will take fairly quick shots, and handle 1080 video with no real issue, but for continuous shooting, this is the one I will buy from this point forward.
on May 22, 2013
I have always brought SanDisk cards but never went with the extreme cards because I didn't have a need for them. I brought myself a DSLR and wanted something that was high speed and could transfer fast. I came down to deciding between the Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card (TS32GSDHC10E), which is not extreme but at the time I comparable in price and had more memory. I ended up going with the SanDisk and never looked back.
I shoot my pictures in mostly .RAW and the files can be upwards of 35MB's. I have a Nikon D5100, I keep it on the highest megapixels, 16.1 and I am able to shoot about 500-750 pictures in .RAW and about 1500 in .JPEG. Sometimes I use the setting to have both .RAW & .JPEG and i can shoot about 250-300 pictures. This is if i do not use the video option on the camera. Since my camera only allows me to record in 20 minutes intervals I dont really know how much video I can fit on this card.
When transferring photos this SanDisk is very responsive. I have a Lenovo Ideapad Laptop and I get transfer speeds of about 32 to 45MB/s, it always varies between those two figures but i have never seen it go below 32MB/s.
I am very satisfied with this SanDisk card and I am planning on buying more. I would definitely recommend the Extreme line of SanDisk cards to any photographer.