BCA Month Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 27, 2013
I bought this card because the card that Amazon recommends you buy if you buy a Nikon D5100 from them is the Transcend Class 10 memory card. Well when using the Transcend card in my camera everything was fine, UNLESS I tried to use auto-focus in P,S, A, or M modes then it would just try to focus all the way one way then all the way back and never lock in. So I called Nikon Tech Support thinking my new camera was broke. They asked which brand of memory card I'm using, I said "Transcend, that's what Amazon recommends". They said "That's not an approved brand of memory card. You need to get an approved brand of memory card and call us back if that doesn't resolve the issue". Well I have worked many years in computer tech support and I'm used to company's pointing the finger at another company's product if they can feasibly tell you the other product is what is causing their product not to work properly. So I (unfairly as it turned out) told Nikon they didn't know what they were talking about and were just pointing their finger at the only thing that was not made by Nikon.

So, then I grudgingly ordered this Sandisk Extreme memory card, having very little faith that it would solve my problem. Well I'll be damned if it didn't resolve my focusing issue! Nikon was RIGHT! So, if you own a Nikon DSLR, save yourself some frustrations and buy an approved brand of memory card and don't take any chances. I'm keeping my Transcend card as a backup because it works as long as I don't use one of those 4 modes, even then I can use it if I manually focus. I mean it stores the pictures fine but it somehow interferes with the electronics in the camera's auto-focusing circuitry.

So the bottom line, at least for my needs, is this: The Sandisk Extreme gets 5 stars. The Transcend gets 3 stars.
Hopefully I've saved someone from buying the wrong card.

And for the record, the Nikon approved brands of memory card (at least for my D5100) are: Sandisk, Toshiba, Panasonic and Lexar Media.
Was good for my T3i, until I tried to go into burst mode. Buffer filled too fast, and I missed too many shots. Got a 80mb/s card, and gained 1fps on my burst. Still too slow, but that is the best a T3i can do. I now have the Canon 80D, with a 7fps burst. The 80mb/s card keeps up well, and gives me 20-25 shots (jpeg) in burst mode. The 46mb/s card, not so much, it's more like 10-15.

For the money, you would be better off getting a newer 32GB 80mb/s card for about 15 USD. But if you never shoot video or burst mode, this card would be fine, but I don't think the cost difference from the recommended card is enough to justify (like 3 bucks).
on December 20, 2013
I am completely satisfied with the SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC 45MB/s Class 10 UHS-1 memory card. I have a few other SanDisk SD cards that have performed flawlessly for years. Thought about saving a few bucks by buying the Ultra version but went with the Extreme as it has a considerably faster transfer rate as well as built in ECC error correction.

I generally take photos with my camera's image capture mode set to RAW+JPEG, at 14 bits per channel for RAW. That generates a fairly large image file size so I prefer SD cards with high write speeds. My camera is a couple of years old so it doesn't support UHS-1.

My PC is four years old with USB 2.0 ports. Since the internal card reader in my computer is unreliable at times, due to driver issues with Win 8, I bought a Transcend TS-RDF8K USB 3.0 multi-card reader here on Amazon for $16. It is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and is UHS-1 rated as well. It also has firmware upgrade capability.

Amazingly, I get transfer speeds in excess of 45 MB/s when transferring images from the SanDisk Extreme 16GB SDHC card to my computer using a Transcend TS-RDF8K card reader over USB 2.0. This speed is indicated by the Win 8 file transfer dialog box. Don't see any point in using a specific software utility to benchmark the transfer speed with greater accuracy on a four year old PC with SATA 2.0 and USB 2.0.

The transfer speed does vary depending upon which internal hard drive I use. One HDD is a four year old WD 640 GB Caviar Black, the other is a one year old Seagate Barracuda 2TB. Both are connected to a SATA 2.0 internal bus. While the WD Caviar Black HDD reaches a transfer speed in excess of 45 MB/s, the Seagate HDD lags behind at around 35 MB/s. That may be due to a firmware issue with the Seagate HDD. There is a firmware upgrade available for it, but I will not upgrade firmware for a HDD that has data on it. It's not worth the risk.

Judging from the reviews I've read here regarding SD cards, there seems to be a good deal of confusion regarding what the speed class ratings mean as well as how different capacity cards are formatted. Here's a quick rundown:

Rated Speed: 45MB/s, 30MB/s, 20MB/s, etc. Maximum write/read speed of card
Applies to still photography. Primarily large image files created when shooting RAW, high resolution, or burst mode.

Speed Class: Minimum transfer speed in MB per second in worst case scenario.
Class 10 - 10MB/s minimum, Class 6 - 6MB/s minimum, etc.
Applies to video capture which is a steady stream of data. Minimum speed required depends on video format and resolution.

UHS-1: Up to 104MB/s data transfer rates when both SD card and device support UHS-1.
Some newer cameras are UHS-1 compatible, some are not.

SD: up to 2GB, FAT16 default format.
SDHC: 4GB to 32GB, FAT32 default format.
SDXC: 64GB to 2TB, exFAT default format.

SDXC and SDHC are not supported by all cameras or devices. Check the specs for your device.

Win 7,8 and OS X 10.6.6 and above natively support exFAT as do some Linux builds. Older OS's, such as Win XP and Vista require a patch. Most operating systems support FAT16 and FAT32.

Format the SD card in the camera or device it will be used with for best results.

A low-level format in camera can be used to revive a memory card which is running slow due to bad sectors. Not necessary to use every time you format in normal use.

If the memory card becomes corrupted, it may sometimes be revived by using a computer with a card reader to format first, followed by re-formatting in the camera or device.
on June 13, 2014
I have been benchmarking SD cards for a couple of years now. The new release of this card, which has a gold background and states 45MBS on the front, is very fast and beats the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MBS card in my benchmarks.

If you are considering a Raspberry Pi, for an XBMC media center, for example, you will need a fast card. The Sandisk cards are the best I have found to date.

Here are my results, fastest to slowest, in overall benchmark including random i/o:

1) Sandisk Extreme 45MBS
2) Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MBS
3) Sandisk Ultra 30MBS
4) Lexar Pro 400x
5) Swissbit Industrial SFSD8192L1BN2T0-E-N2-141-STD
6) Sony 64GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10

By the way, the maximum sequential transfer speed (90MBS vs. 45MBS) on the Sandisk cards is not as important for the Pi, since the SD slot maxes out at about 20MBS.

Please note that for camera applications, the sequential i/o is much more important, assuming that your camera hardware can take advantage of the higher write speeds.
on December 4, 2012
I got this card for my Canon 60D. It works great.

I also tried an Extreme Pro 95MB/s card in my 60D and there was no measurable difference in the number of burst shots before the camera's buffer filled up, in the time it took to write the buffer to the card (when the red light stopped flashing), or in the time it took to copy images from the card to my mid-2011 iMac using its built-in card reader. With both cards, my camera can write a burst of 13 Raw (18 Megapixel) images to the card in about 20 seconds.

If you are not sure what speed card to buy, go to SanDisk's web site. They have a calculator which shows which speed cards they recommend for your particular camera or other device. In my case they (correctly) recommend this Extreme 45MB/s card for my 60D. It appears that only the newest (i.e. Nikon D3200/5200) or most expensive (i.e. Canon 5D Mk III) cameras can take advantage of the faster Extreme Pro cards. If you are fortunate enough to have one of those cameras, go for the Extreme Pro. Also, If you have a USB-3 card reader, then you might see faster read times with the Extreme Pro even if your camera can't take advantage of the faster write speed.

In all other cases, go for the 45MB/s Extreme, and you will be very happy with the results.

It is obviously too soon to know how reliable this card will be. However, I have used several SanDisk cards in all of my digital camera's since 2004, and I have never had one fail.
on June 2, 2013
I have tried a wide variety of sd cards for photo taking. This disc is a great size for both photography and videos. I videotaped a friends father's memorial service using this disc as well as taking photographs which were later committed to a video with music. The sound of the footfalls of the military flag folding were clear. The photos were amazing and very clear. If you are looking for a smaller disc for holding special photos this is the right sd for you.

It held 4 hours of photos as well as the video I took of the memorial service with no problem and with room to spare. I always reformat my disc once I download the photos and video but I also have reinstalled photos and video for sharing on SD compatible devices and used my camera cord to show my footage on a large screen tv. I always shoot in the highest pixels possible when doing photography so I have plenty of wiggle room for cropping and enhancing. I was very happy with this purchase and it worked well in both my DSLR and my daugthers DSLR. I have a T4i and she has T3i Canon cameras. For the money you cannot go wrong I give this product two thumbs up for the price and the mass amount of storage it holds.
on November 21, 2012
I purchased my first Sandisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 with my camera (a Rebel T4i) at a physical retail, so I was already familiar with the quality of the product.

My first one is also 16GB. When I bought it the guy at the store said to me that is a common practice among some videomakers to not rely on high capacity cards (32, 64 and up) but instead go with smaller ones and have more of them in quantity. When I asked him why, he said that this is a "forced" practice to keep your files more secure, since if you're relying on a huge capacity card and it fails, the chances you're going to lose most of or all your material are high. I thought that was weird at first, but it did make some sense. Then when I started working, I noticed that this indeed happens more often than one can imagine and I'm SO GLAD I followed his advice. The other thing he said, obviously, was to get a quality card from a well-know brand, which I did.

So those advices were still decisive when I felt the need to buy more SD cards. I ordered two 16GB ones, exactly as my primary one.

I never tried the "frustration free" package before, but I'm glad I did. The package is amazingly simple, small and environment-friendly. It's really frustration free and produces minimum waste.
Those willing to try shouldn't be afraid of it. And don't worry, it still comes with the plastic housing to keep the SD card - but that's about it.

I'm really satisfied with Amazon for this.
on August 7, 2015
I always purchase 16MB cards and change the card every four or five days whether it is full or not. If a card fails (which I always worry about) I would loose less photos that way. I have 3 of these cards and have used them over and over for about 10 tours and cruises to very hot and freezing cold climates and none of them has never failed. I pull them out of my camera every night (sometimes twice a day) to load the photos onto my iPad. I take about 150 - 200 photos a day so I would say I am a heavy user. I highly recommend this card.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 22, 2014
According to the card stats this has what my camera needs for HD recording etc. When I was taking photos at my 3 year olds birthday the camera kept freezing up and because of it I missed a lot of pictures. My interim card I had been using did not do this. I ordered a second and the same thing happened. I finally gave up on this and bought a Lexar with similar stats and have had ZERO issues.
My online research said that the cards that were fake caused these sort of issues. I would not buy this again, I was able to return both.
This card was specifically developed with Nikon for a D7000 maximum compatibility. I shoot Nikon FX, DX, Fuji-X, and Olympus M4/3rds, this card as stated in a report released by Sandisk, and Nikon,(note it is labeled extreme!), this card was a combined effort tailored to the release of the D7000. Owning one, along with a D3(+buffer), and other Nikon DSLR'S, I can attest to its efficiency in both RAW, and full HD video. For the Prime deal, i highly recommend.