Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on March 23, 2012
I just received the card today, so not a lot of time logged... But it is smokin' fast! I had some issues recording 1080/30fps on my D5100 with previous PNY Professional card. Several tests with HD video and consecutive still frame bursts never even hiccuped! I'm 99.4% sure this is going to cure all of the past woes. (The PNY is now relegated to my sweet new Samsung TL500. No HD video on it, so No worries!)

What I wanted to point out to those looking is that this IS the latest 45MB/s SDHC Extreme 16GB card. AND it's at the same or better price as others selling the previous models!

Maybe I'm the only one that's confused about the different versions of the SanDisk SDHC cards. But I searched and searched trying to make sure I was getting the latest card instead of overpaying for old stock. I even contacted SanDisk, and their customer support didn't even know that the Extreme is now 45MB/s! They actually told me that I would have to buy the (now outdated and overpriced) SDSDXP1-016G to get 45MB/s. I researched this for a couple of evenings, and still knew enough to explain to SanDisk that the SDSDXPA-016G is the new version of what they told me to buy, and it's now 95MB/s for the same price!

So here's the breakdown of what I found as of 3/22/12:

Lower price Extreme SDHC:
SDSDRX3-016G - 30MB/s - OLD
SDSDX-016G - 45MB/s - CURRENT (Apparently Brand New)

Higher price Extreme Pro SDHC:
SDSDXP1-016G - 45MB/s - OLD
SDSDXPA-016G - 95MB/s - CURRENT

The cards are all about the same price if you buy the same classification and GB size. (A 16GB Extreme is going to be twenty-five to thirty bucks regardless if it's 20MB/s, 30MB/s, or 45MB/s.)

I don't know if you really need this Extreme card vs. Ultra or Extreme Pro. You can determine that... But don't Overpay for the same performance! Be sure you Get the Latest Version of whichever you choose.
511 people found this helpful
|1818 comments|Report abuse
on November 4, 2011
The speed of this card may be overkill for standard shooting/filming. However, I use Magic Lantern on my 60D, which is a firmware modification that runs off of the SD card. I noticed that my Transcend 32 GB Class 10 SDHC Flash Memory Card TS32GSDHC10E had a hard time keeping up with some of the functions of the additional software. I decided to give the faster card a try, and the functions (such as magic zoom and focus peaking) work much better now.

Of course, pulling pictures and video off the card is also quicker than with the Transcend. Although both cards are "Class 10," the SanDisk is 50% faster than the Transcend.
485 people found this helpful
|1717 comments|Report abuse
on September 27, 2013
I bought this card because the card that Amazon recommends you buy if you buy a Nikon D5100 from them is the Transcend Class 10 memory card. Well when using the Transcend card in my camera everything was fine, UNLESS I tried to use auto-focus in P,S, A, or M modes then it would just try to focus all the way one way then all the way back and never lock in. So I called Nikon Tech Support thinking my new camera was broke. They asked which brand of memory card I'm using, I said "Transcend, that's what Amazon recommends". They said "That's not an approved brand of memory card. You need to get an approved brand of memory card and call us back if that doesn't resolve the issue". Well I have worked many years in computer tech support and I'm used to company's pointing the finger at another company's product if they can feasibly tell you the other product is what is causing their product not to work properly. So I (unfairly as it turned out) told Nikon they didn't know what they were talking about and were just pointing their finger at the only thing that was not made by Nikon.

So, then I grudgingly ordered this Sandisk Extreme memory card, having very little faith that it would solve my problem. Well I'll be damned if it didn't resolve my focusing issue! Nikon was RIGHT! So, if you own a Nikon DSLR, save yourself some frustrations and buy an approved brand of memory card and don't take any chances. I'm keeping my Transcend card as a backup because it works as long as I don't use one of those 4 modes, even then I can use it if I manually focus. I mean it stores the pictures fine but it somehow interferes with the electronics in the camera's auto-focusing circuitry.

So the bottom line, at least for my needs, is this: The Sandisk Extreme gets 5 stars. The Transcend gets 3 stars.
Hopefully I've saved someone from buying the wrong card.

And for the record, the Nikon approved brands of memory card (at least for my D5100) are: Sandisk, Toshiba, Panasonic and Lexar Media.
5 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 17, 2016
I bought this for my digital camera. I had previously been using a 2GB card, but with HD pictures you can chew threw those pretty quickly if you are constantly snapping like we do. Having kids really makes a larger card very important. I went with SanDisk because of the reliability and speed of the Extreme brand and it held up exactly as I would have expected.

I didn't actually benchmark the speed, so I can't say for sure what the read/write speeds are, but they don't seem to be slow by any means. I've never noticed a slowdown because of the card. After I bought a DSLR I pulled this card out of my point and shoot and started using it in the DSLR. 8GB is a good size for this, but I would recommend a couple of cards. The reason for that is you don't want to take a lot of pictures at an event and then have it go bad for some reason, and lose everything. So switching cards from time to time is good to partially limit the loss if you were to have one.

That may be irrelevant though, because this card has never failed on me and I've never faced a loss. I've owned a lot of generic brand cards over the years, and just "feel" like this card would write faster to my computer.
on June 11, 2016
So this is an 'Extreme' Flash Memory Card. Not sure what's extreme about it. I thought it may have a punk hairdo or something, or maybe it could snowboard, or possibly it may be a fan of the rock band 'Extreme', who had that hit song 'More Than Words' then disappeared like a dodo at a typewriter convention in Atlantis. But no, it's none of those things. It's actually very ordinary. I suppose calling it: 'Sandisk Very Ordinary Run Of The Mill Typically Mediocre Average Kind Of Normal Flash Memory Card' doesn't have the same ring to it. But then again, not much has the same ring to it... except a bell... a bell usually has the same ring to it, Day after day, night after night. Maybe I'll invent an “extreme bell”. What would that even sound like? It wouldn't sound like a bell, that's for sure. It would probably sound like a hybrid human-coconut swallowing a porcupine, or something like that.

Sorry if I went a bit too far with that analogy, but I have a habit of taking things to the extreme.
|11 comment|Report abuse
Was good for my T3i, until I tried to go into burst mode. Buffer filled too fast, and I missed too many shots. Got a 80mb/s card, and gained 1fps on my burst. Still too slow, but that is the best a T3i can do. I now have the Canon 80D, with a 7fps burst. The 80mb/s card keeps up well, and gives me 20-25 shots (jpeg) in burst mode. The 46mb/s card, not so much, it's more like 10-15.

For the money, you would be better off getting a newer 32GB 80mb/s card for about 15 USD. But if you never shoot video or burst mode, this card would be fine, but I don't think the cost difference from the recommended card is enough to justify (like 3 bucks).
on December 20, 2013
I am completely satisfied with the SanDisk Extreme 16 GB SDHC 45MB/s Class 10 UHS-1 memory card. I have a few other SanDisk SD cards that have performed flawlessly for years. Thought about saving a few bucks by buying the Ultra version but went with the Extreme as it has a considerably faster transfer rate as well as built in ECC error correction.

I generally take photos with my camera's image capture mode set to RAW+JPEG, at 14 bits per channel for RAW. That generates a fairly large image file size so I prefer SD cards with high write speeds. My camera is a couple of years old so it doesn't support UHS-1.

My PC is four years old with USB 2.0 ports. Since the internal card reader in my computer is unreliable at times, due to driver issues with Win 8, I bought a Transcend TS-RDF8K USB 3.0 multi-card reader here on Amazon for $16. It is backwards compatible with USB 2.0 and is UHS-1 rated as well. It also has firmware upgrade capability.

Amazingly, I get transfer speeds in excess of 45 MB/s when transferring images from the SanDisk Extreme 16GB SDHC card to my computer using a Transcend TS-RDF8K card reader over USB 2.0. This speed is indicated by the Win 8 file transfer dialog box. Don't see any point in using a specific software utility to benchmark the transfer speed with greater accuracy on a four year old PC with SATA 2.0 and USB 2.0.

The transfer speed does vary depending upon which internal hard drive I use. One HDD is a four year old WD 640 GB Caviar Black, the other is a one year old Seagate Barracuda 2TB. Both are connected to a SATA 2.0 internal bus. While the WD Caviar Black HDD reaches a transfer speed in excess of 45 MB/s, the Seagate HDD lags behind at around 35 MB/s. That may be due to a firmware issue with the Seagate HDD. There is a firmware upgrade available for it, but I will not upgrade firmware for a HDD that has data on it. It's not worth the risk.

Judging from the reviews I've read here regarding SD cards, there seems to be a good deal of confusion regarding what the speed class ratings mean as well as how different capacity cards are formatted. Here's a quick rundown:

Rated Speed: 45MB/s, 30MB/s, 20MB/s, etc. Maximum write/read speed of card
Applies to still photography. Primarily large image files created when shooting RAW, high resolution, or burst mode.

Speed Class: Minimum transfer speed in MB per second in worst case scenario.
Class 10 - 10MB/s minimum, Class 6 - 6MB/s minimum, etc.
Applies to video capture which is a steady stream of data. Minimum speed required depends on video format and resolution.

UHS-1: Up to 104MB/s data transfer rates when both SD card and device support UHS-1.
Some newer cameras are UHS-1 compatible, some are not.

SD: up to 2GB, FAT16 default format.
SDHC: 4GB to 32GB, FAT32 default format.
SDXC: 64GB to 2TB, exFAT default format.

SDXC and SDHC are not supported by all cameras or devices. Check the specs for your device.

Win 7,8 and OS X 10.6.6 and above natively support exFAT as do some Linux builds. Older OS's, such as Win XP and Vista require a patch. Most operating systems support FAT16 and FAT32.

Format the SD card in the camera or device it will be used with for best results.

A low-level format in camera can be used to revive a memory card which is running slow due to bad sectors. Not necessary to use every time you format in normal use.

If the memory card becomes corrupted, it may sometimes be revived by using a computer with a card reader to format first, followed by re-formatting in the camera or device.
on March 23, 2015
THIS REVIEW WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FOR THE , (Digital Optics dslr Pro MC-AF Digital Wide Converter W/Macro 0.44X52mm,, I however read a lot of reviews on this add on lens, Ok! Its not a real photographers pro lens, but an addition to a lens, I got one new, in a box, with a nikon D810, all new, with over $70,000 in lenses, so with tripod, a product label on a floor mat, I used an 18-55mm with this add on !! WOW! I have compared it to a $600.00 pure macro lens, and got some spectacular shots, I could no see much differences, settings on nikon d810, d7100, d600, d90b d5500, still no changes, Oh! I am no professional, no know it all, but do make a lot of money with my hobby, spend a lot on my toys, and very much helping others with their product choices, uses, outcome . For some of you, good toy, others are expecting miracles, yes! Miracles can be made, How!!! Read, practice, know what you will be photographing, ighting, reflections, shaddows, camera settings, lenses to use this on, For me! I use this add-on quite a bit, It goes with me most everywhere, , for now, in closing, JR. Massachusetts, USA
on April 15, 2014
I will say that prejudice forms my opinion about SanDisk cards. I say it without reservation
because there has never been a problem with any flash cards I have purchased in over 10
years.

No problems of any type when cards were purchased for my DSLR, Full HD movie camera,
media player or any of the assorted jump drives. Maybe I am due to receive a faulty card;
statistics being what they are. Nothing is perfect and that is life.

There has been some comments on the color of this particular card. The yellow card shown
on the Amazon web page for months now is the new color of the card. My card, in its original
SanDisk packaging, is the standard red and black label configuration. For what it's worth at
bottom of the package, in very small print, is a copy- write date of 2013. Meh.

It still has all the correct specs on the card and packaging: 16GB, Read/Write Speeds of up
to 45MB/s, SDHC, UHS-1, and "FULLHD Video". The operating temperature of the Extreme is
-13 degrees F to 185 degrees F. Maybe I got what was left of the old color. Doesn't matter
to me.

What is important is that it is working and without problems. Again, I would kindheartedly
recommend this flash card, no matter what the color, to any and all who need a reliable card
for advanced photography and Full HD video
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side Bar: Just between you and me, I like the old color. The yellowish color seems wimpy and
just plain homely.
on June 13, 2014
I have been benchmarking SD cards for a couple of years now. The new release of this card, which has a gold background and states 45MBS on the front, is very fast and beats the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MBS card in my benchmarks.

If you are considering a Raspberry Pi, for an XBMC media center, for example, you will need a fast card. The Sandisk cards are the best I have found to date.

Here are my results, fastest to slowest, in overall benchmark including random i/o:

1) Sandisk Extreme 45MBS
2) Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MBS
3) Sandisk Ultra 30MBS
4) Lexar Pro 400x
5) Swissbit Industrial SFSD8192L1BN2T0-E-N2-141-STD
6) Sony 64GB SDHC/SDXC Class 10

By the way, the maximum sequential transfer speed (90MBS vs. 45MBS) on the Sandisk cards is not as important for the Pi, since the SD slot maxes out at about 20MBS.

Please note that for camera applications, the sequential i/o is much more important, assuming that your camera hardware can take advantage of the higher write speeds.