Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11,841 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 12,873 reviews
on September 18, 2009
I owned the first generation clip, and the new 8gb clip+ retains everything that was great about the first while adding all around refinements.

Pros:
- Overall build quality has improved, but especially with the clip mechanism.
- Files on MicroSD integrate seemlessly with the on board memory.
- The volume and power buttons have more ergonomic placement on the device.
- Sound quality remains great.
- Audiobook files can be sped up slightly to save some "reading" time.
- The interface is a little smoother and nicer to move through.
- The square trackpad makes it easier to navigate without looking at the player. (good for runners)

Cons:
- No cap on the MicroSD slot, so that could potentially get dirty.

If you don't need gimmicks such as touch screens and web browsers, then this player is quite possibly the best on the market for value, size, and quality. The Clip+ is definitely worth the few extra bucks over what the first gen clip is selling for now.

UPDATE: Having used the product for a while the one thing I'm disappointed with is battery life. The meter drains down to 50% at the expected pace, and then goes from 50% to 0 quite fast. I haven't timed it but i'm sure the battery life (using all default settings) is quite less than the advertised 14-15 hours.
5150+ comments| 2,503 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 10, 2011
The sound quality is very good, and as evidenced on the web that people use $500 earbuds with this player.

It's an excellent product despite some issues:

This player sometimes does experience "sudden death" (not turning on/responding) when absolutely nothing appears to revive it.

Previously, I bought a clip+ from BB. In less than a week, it just stopped playing and turned itself off in the middle of a song. There was nothing that I could do to turn it back on. After reading many similar experiences on the web and thinking it was defective, I returned it back to BB.

I knew the battery was fully charged, and the wma file had been played successfully on the clip+ several times before. So it's not a corrupted song file that caused the player to "crash." Even so, it should "reboot" when the device was reset.

All signs pointed to the battery that might have been internally dislodged although it's new and has never been dropped or abused.

However after seeing some clip+ disassembled pictures on the Internet, it seems that a new clip+ that hasn't been abused, the chance of "real" hardware failure is probably remote. The abundance of refurbished clip+ for sale on the web supports this thought. The death of clip+ was thus mostly likely due to quirky firmware issues.

Try the following steps if the clip+ does not response, the first two from Sandisk clip+ manual/forums:

1. Press and hold the on/off button for 20 sec to reset,

2. Press and hold the Select (center) button while connecting the device to the PC forcing it into MSC mode. Leave it connected for approximately 2 to 3 hours to "charge,"

3. If neither step 1 or 2 works, disconnect clip+ from charging device and let it "discharge" for 2 to 3 days or more to simulate a "true" on/off or "cold" reset/reboot.

To minimize the firmware related problems, steps below may help:

1. Put clip+ in MSC mode (Settings | System Settings | USB Mode | MSC).

2. Use built-in memory only for original Sandisk stock files (a 2G clip will suffice), and store music files only on the external card. A 4G or 8G Class 4 microSDHC is quite inexpensive (faster card is not needed).

That's internal storage used only for "boot" and the external only for "data." Although the Sansa firmware supposedly runs entirely from flash memory and unlike Rockbox that resides on your drive.

During troubleshoot, the external card can be removed so the firmware can be up in a simpler environment (as in Windows/browser "safe" mode). However, the microSDHC card may be "locked" and cannot be removed if clip+ is not power on (a sophisticated design feature).

3. If the device will not be used for a long time, the battery should be fully charged. Otherwise charge (<35%) the device as needed. During charging, the computer cannot be suddenly put in sleep mode. Lithium polymer battery charges 70% in 1/3 of total charge time.

Power indicator icon sometimes can be deceiving, perhaps due to arithmetic rounding. Use (Settings | System Settings | Info | Power).

4. Proper tagging is both useful and file integrity. mp3tag is excellent.

5. Press Home button "twice" returns back to the display where the Music was playing/left off (as in Power Saver timed out).

Hope that helps with clip+ not turning on/responding problem.
review image
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2013
where was this all my life!?

It sounds AMAZING. It obviously comes with a set of earphones too, but I use my Phillips one with this and It works like a charm.

This sansa looks very stylish and it is so tiny and light i barely feel it on me! It weights NOTHING. The clip is great, I added a 16gb card and i'm currently LOVING my little baby!

It's a great gift for people who love listening to music without having to use a bulky, annoying buggy and laggy smartphone for that. Come on.

It is just a pleasure to have this little thing! I am looking forward to installing rockbox on it, thought i can't complain of the original firmware program. It does more than enough and I am incredibly satisfied with this wonderful product!
review image review image review image review image review image review image
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on October 26, 2014
This is a good music player if you want something small, light and relatively inexpensive with a large storage capacity. It has a few flaws that can be overcome with open source firmware. If you are going to use the open source Rockbox firmware with this player you can add another star to my review. I took one star away because of the poor firmware included.

Pros:
Small
Light
High internal capacity (8 GB)
External SDHC slot (up to 32GB)
Very good sound quality in lab and listening tests
Included Headphones sound good
FM Radio
Voice Recorder
Relatively inexpensive
Standard miniature stereo jack
Standard mini USB connector for charging / data transfer
Supports MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) and MSC (Mass Storage Class)
Button placement is good
Button lock function in firmware

Cons:
Musical pitch error of +0.25% (can fix with Rockbox firmware)
Battery time may be shorter than advertised (may be worse with Rockbox firmware)
May not see some or all files on external SDHC (can fix with Rockbox firmware)
Only basic features in firmware (can fix with Rockbox firmware)
SDHC file support is flaky (can fix with Rockbox firmware)
Can't record FM radio (can do this with Rockbox firmware)
Small display
Headphone jack is not well constructed
Construction quality is mediocre
Included Headphones do not stay securely in ears
Included USB to mini USB cable is ridiculously short (6 inches)
A/C adapter / charger is not included
Case is not included

If you are not going to buy the 8GB version of this player nor use an SDHC card, you may want to look at other players. The large internal storage versus the size and price are what makes this player unique Most other players are less expensive with less storage, or more expensive with better construction and features.

The standard firmware is poor considering the price of the player. If you don't want to use the open source Rockbox firmware, look at more expensive players to get better construction and firmware, or save your money with less expensive players. In my opinion, the Roxbox firmware makes this player worthwhile and without Rockbox the player is just an overpriced, mediocre player.

The small display means that you will not be able to display much information about the song being played and menus will require a lot of scrolling. The standard firmware uses a large enough font to be readable and wastes a lot of space with flashy icons in some places. Rockbox can display more information using tiny fonts, but I found those to be unreadable for someone like me with less than perfect eyesight. Using Rockbox with the Classic theme works well and I can read most of the information except the simulated keyboard without a problem.

The buttons are large enough and positioned well. With a silicone case (not included), the "home" button is hard to find and the cases do not have markings to indicate the location or function of the buttons.

The size and weight of this player make it very convenient to keep in a pocket or clip to clothing. That was one of my reasons for choosing the player along with the high capacity (40GB with external SDHC card).

The sound quality is excellent and even the included headphones sound good. The only flaw here is the ridiculously high error in musical pitch (+0.25%) using the standard firmware. Most other players have musical pitch accurate to about (0.05%) or better. The Rockbox firmware fixes the problem and reduces the error to (+0.05%) at the expense of somewhat shortening the on-battery time. Sandisk obviously made a tradeoff between pitch accuracy and power requirements that I think was misguided. If you're considering the older Sansa Clip beware of the pitch problem since it is off by (+0.70%). Whether any particular person can hear a less than 1% difference in pitch is rather subjective.

The external SDHC card slot is in a convenient position on the right side of the player. When inserted, an SDHC card is almost entirely inside the player. The edge of the card sticks out less than 1 mm. I doubt that the card can be damaged because of the slight edge sticking out. You will probably need to use your fingernail, paperclip or small screwdriver to eject the card. It is necessary to be careful when ejecting the SDHC card because the spring is much stronger than needed and will launch the SDHC card at high speed. Keep your finger or palm in front of the card slot when ejecting the card to avoid possible damage. It is best to leave the card in the player as much as possible rather than swapping cards frequently. I haven't seen any comments about the durability of the SDHC slot but the spring tension makes card swapping hazardous.

The FM Radio is decent but does not receive weaker stations well. That isn't surprising considering the size and lack of an antenna. The standard firmware does not allow allow recording of FM stations but the Rockbox firmware can. There are probably better portable FM receivers though they may not be as small and lightweight.

The built in monaural microphone is good. It is designed for voice recording, not recording performances or entertainment. This feature is most useful for dictation or recording nearby conversations. I haven't tried it for recording lectures.

The manual for the standard firmware is horrible, and gives very little information except the basic functions of the buttons and menus. In particular it does not say what the requirements are for the directory layout, file names, tagging and playlist formats. Nor was there any more information available on the Sandisk web site.

The most frustrating thing about this player's firmware was transferring files. Both MTP and MSC worked as expected when the device was connected to the computer. However, files transferred to the external storage were often not found by the player's firmware and did not appear in either the database or the file browser. Yes, I did safely eject the devices each time! Placing files in the root directory of the external storage worked better. Also, files transferred using MTP were not visible when using MSC mode. The Rockbox firmware had no problem finding files on the external storage. If you're planning to use the external SDHC storage you will probably want to install the Roxbox firmware. Another minor problem is that for MSC mode the player must be connected to the computer after the power is already on. If I plugged in the player using MSC mode with the power off, Windows would often report that the internal or external storage was not formatted (because the firmware had not finished booting). As long as I did not choose to reformat the disk, it caused no problem. A non-technical user is likely to choose yes and erase the files already stored in the player. The Sandisk user manual for the player and the Sandisk support site provide very little help or information about these issues.

The standard firmware supports play lists that are downloaded to the file storage (cannot be created or edited by firmware). Online posts have mentioned that the playlists must use relative (not fixed) path names, especially for files on the external storage card. I did not test playlists. The open source Rockbox firmware has better support for playlists.

The package includes Windows software from Sandisk and the player is compatible with Windows Media Player, Media Monkey and other programs. Configuring software to work with the player may be challenging due to the lack of any documentation about the directory, file and tagging requirements of the player firmware. It may be necessary to use MSC mode with Linux and Apple operating systems.

The price is OK considering the sound quality and decent electronic design of the player and the ability to run open source Rockbox firmware. You should decide if you want accessories such as a silicone case, wall charger, car power adapter and miniature phone patch cable. Those extras will cost another $5 to $15 depending on what you want. The device is light enough and sturdy enough that I don't think a silicone case is required. Any standard USB wall charger can be used with the included cable, though the cable is very short and leaves the player dangling in mid air.
on January 25, 2017
This is a little workhorse of an mp3 player. I bought it in April, 2015 for 42$. I see now that it's more than twice that price and that it's discontinued. I don't think it's worth 91$, but I do think it's a shame this thing was discontinued.

I use this approximately 35-40 hours a week. Mostly I use it for when I'm writing for extended periods of time, and I use it, with guided imagery and delta waves, to go back to sleep if I happen to wake up in the middle of the night.

I took this on an extended trip to Europe and used it to listen to Gregorian chants while I wandered through great cathedrals. I use it listening to Credence Clearwater Revival while I do house work. As I wrote above, this thing is a fine little workhorse.
on November 25, 2014
I purchased this as a Christmas gift. I researched a lot of MP3 players and decided on this one since it had so many good reviews. I opened it up and tested it out to make sure it worked when I received it. It was defective or so I thought. I could not get sound out of the earbuds. I even tried a different set of earbuds and same thing. I only got sound sporadically. I thought the earbud jack was loose. I contacted Amazon and they immediately shipped me a replacement. When the replacement came it was the same way, so I figured it must be something I was doing wrong. I looked at the reviews closer to see if anyone else had had the same problem. I discovered that there was. I found a link to SanDisk's web page with pictures showing that I was not pushing the plug into the jack fully. I thought it was in all the way, but it was not. The metal prong should be all the way into to player and not showing. You have to push hard but it will go all the way in and when it does you will hear a click. No problems with the sound if it is inserted all the way in as it should be. The player is small but it has a clip on the back to clip on you. I liked the fact that it is expandable with a micro sd card slot.
on July 15, 2016
I bought this little guy for my husband to take on deployment with him, because he wanted
something that was small (check)
could clip onto his shirt (check)
had a screen (check)
This really is a great little MP3 player. Its nice that it accepts MicroSDs, so even if you fill up a 32gb (the highest size that it takes), you can load more music onto subsequent cards and insert them as you wish. A little bit of a hassle, but moreso to actually keep up with those tiny buggers. As this already has 12k+ reviews, I wont go into excruciating detail...it works great, the battery life isn't bad at all, and it has a very simple interface that isn't overly flashy. If you want an iPhone, get an iPhone. If you want something that just plays music, is lightweight, and doesn't get in the way, get this.
review image review image review image review image
on November 29, 2016
I have two Sansa Clip+ players and a Clip Zip. I used to have a second Clip Zip, but it got fried from a bad usb port (very rare thing). They all have Rockbox installed, which I think is the best for these players, as it vastly improves the functionality, despite being a bit more complicated. But Rockbox of course is optional and may not be worth the hassle for most.

Anyway, the players are great, I've used them a few years now, but now that they are discontinued, I would not recommend purchasing at the latest prices. Even though I love these things, it's still a cheap chinese plastic player. A few years ago there were not many options for Sansa Clip-like players, but there are more options in 2016-17. If I was going to spend a hundred bucks, I would look at players by Fiio, for example. Sansa players are great because they are usually only around thirty or forty bucks, so if one gets fried, or lost, it's not a big deal.

That said, if you've used the clip+ in the past and love them, then it could be worth it. I paid almost seventy for the last one I bought, but only because I already had experience with them. I won't be buying anymore unless they bring it back.
on June 11, 2014
Installing open source Rockbox firmware makes this one of the best players on the market. If you are using the stock firmware, you're missing out.

This music player is fully supported by the latest Rockbox release 3.13. Rockbox 3.13 supports the audio codec Opus and it supports SDXC cards. SDHC only goes up to 32 GB. SDXC is 64GB and up. Rockbox has a much improved mixer and a slew of other features. Check out the Rockbox manual online.

To use a SDXC card (64GB class 10 SDXC works for me), you have to intall Rockbox and reformat the card as FAT-32. exFAT (default for SDXC) will not work in Rockbox or the factory firmware. If you're using Windows, you may need to look for third party utilities to reformat it. I used Linux.

SanDisk should ditch their firmware and use Rockbox instead.
on March 6, 2017
Great ! This is my second one in the last 10 years, and it far surpasses the IPOD NANO which is so very expensive and it plays any MP3's, no matter what type of file, and it will play in the order in which you have it in the folder, and it is STILL the LOUDEST little tiny MP3 player I've ever had ! Wish they had not stopped making these, and I hope there will still be some discontinued ones just like this in the near future, if I ever have to replace. I tell EVERYONE about this one, but no one else can buy it now ! Sad !