Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

You have to understand that my life happens in slow motion imposed upon me by cerebral palsy so I don't have much in the way of high speed requirements. I do not take pictures of animals, babies or atheletes taht move in the wink of an eye. I take pictures of buildings, bridges and people standing still. I might take a picture of something moving slow that can be captured using camera settings.

That said I have taken pictures of buildings and other things using a digital SLR recording in both JPG and RAW formats which taxes the memory card. So far these SanDisk Ultra 16GB SDHC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash Memory Cards have performed well under the most harsh demands I've made of them. The cards serve me well in all sorts of weather. the save times are not terribly long. I have not had problems with corruption, bad formatting or data loss. I've taken movies on my little sony handi-cam camera and never had issues with fluttering or jumpy pictures. As always I can only share my experiences with a product and as such having had no adverse issues I must give the SanDisk Ultra 16GB SDHC Class 10/UHS-1 Flash Memory Card a five star rating.
on October 31, 2013
I would not recommend this card for anyone with a very high Megapixel camera.

30MB/second is not very fast. I'm not great at math, but this is a pretty simple problem:

A Nikon D800 has a 36 megapixel sensor and RAW files coming out of that camera can be around 50MB.

Writing a 36 MP photo that is 50 MB being written to a 30MB/sec card will take almost two seconds to write to this card. And that is under IDEAL conditions.

Now consider that you are taking 10 photos in a row in succession (such as with a burst mode. It will take you potentially 1/250 or 1/500 of a second or however fast your shutter speed is (plus lag) for the shutter to open and close and capture each photo.

BUT the photos then need to be added to the camera buffer and written to the card.

So, assuming the buffer of your camera can actually hold all 10 or 20 or 30 photos you took in burst mode, the camera needs to write them to the card and you will be waiting to use the camera in the meantime.

If, for example, you took 20 photos in burst mode and are capturing in RAW format, that's going to be 1000MB you need to write at 30MB/second.
In this example with a card of this speed, you will be waiting around __33 seconds__ until you can use your camera again!

That being said, for high megapixel cameras, you are going to be much better off with a faster card. If you can double the speed of the card, or even increase it by 50%, you are going to be writing faster and saving files faster and therefore able to using your camera for more shots faster.

But, for standard point and shoot users, who are taking a single photo at a time, this card should be fine.

JUST REMEMBER: You do not want to store ALL of your photos on one card ever. Make sure to change cards frequently (before they fill up) because if the one card you are using fries or dies, you will lose all of your photos.
on January 5, 2014
I have used Sandisk flash cards almost exclusively since 2003 and have only once had a failure requiring me to use Remo Recover to extract photos from a corrupted card. That's a pretty good record, and I trust Sandisk more than any other brand to not crash on me when I am taking important photos. This particular card was purchased for use with a Canon 6D and Canon 60D. As a 30 MB/s class 10, it has more than enough bandwidth to shoot 20 megapixel RAW still images in bursts of up to 10, and Video clips up to 1920x1080 at 30 Fps. These Canon DSLR's capture MOV video at a very high data rate, about 6 MB/s, but this card can handle it, at least for clips up to 5 minutes long. If you shoot a lot of video from a DSLR, you might be better off with the Sandist Extreme, which is a 45 MB/s card, but these are substantially more expensive. NOTE: The "30 MB/s" rating on the card is READ speed only! The Write speed is much less, about 10 MB/sec, but this should be fast enough to keep up with my Canon 6D videos. When shopping for SD cards, keep in mind that the "sweet spot" in terms of Price/Capacity changes frequently: only a year ago, the 8 Gb cards were the best value, and I expect that by summer of 2014, the 32 Gb cards will be a better value than this 16 Gb card. Another issue to keep in mind is that the larger the card, the more photos it can carry, and consequently, the more photos you put at risk should something happen to the card. A 64Gb card might be able to hold all the photos of an entire 2 week vacation trip, but do you really want to put your entire vacation on that one card? What if the camera were to be stolen the last day of your trip? I suggest that you might to consider using several smaller cards, like the 4 Gb or 8 Gb size and have no more than one day of photos on each card, stored separately from your camera pack so that you don't lose all the photos should that pack be lost or stolen. Of course, if you are downloading your camera cards to a laptop or backup storage each night, the loss of a large card isn't so much of a concern.

SUMMARY: This Sandisk SD card offers excellent Price/Performance/Capacity (as of Janjuary 2014), and Sandisk's reputation for reliability. The rated performance of 30 Mb/s read speed, and 10 Mb/s Write speed are enough for most digital cameras up to 20 megapixels for either stills or HD video. If your camera skips frames or refuses to shoot video with this card, you probably need to upgrade to the 45 Mb/s Sandisk Extreme or Extreme Pro cards.
VINE VOICEon April 5, 2012
I just got my card and replaced the 8GB card I had in the camera. I've had that one since 8GB was considered a large card.

I use a Canon 60D, and shoot in RAW. On the old 8GB card, I could shoot 8 images and the buffer would fill, it would take 4 seconds before I could get another shot and 40 seconds to clear the buffer entirely. There is room on the card for more than 999 images.

On this card, I can get 18 shots, take another in 3 seconds (actually 2 more in 5) and clear the entire buffer in 45 seconds (that's 2x images in just a bit more time).

Copying from the card via my Lexar UDMA reader and USB 2.0 port is also cut nearly in half. This test was done by copying my 2GB outlook PST file to the card and back to another directory.

I should note that when I use my laptop's built-in SD card reader, the read time is unchanged. Clearly, the limit is imposed by the laptop's circuitry.

Different cameras and different PCs will have different test results. According to the Canon specs, my 60D can use these cards but not take full advantage of them.

For me, SDXC Class 10 is a winner.
on March 1, 2013
My SanDisk Ultra arrived on time -- and in a GIGANTIC, crazily-oversized package that the SanDisk people somehow reasoned was a good idea.
Example: The 32-GB card measures about 1inch x 1 1/2 inches, while the SanDisk packaging measured 10 inches x 13 inches -- and the envelope the SanDisk arrived in measured 11 1/2 x 15 1/2 inches !!
True, the monster-sized package protected the contents, but the waste of resources doesn't make the idea worthwhile, in my view..
Anyways, the SanDisk 32 GB card itself is just what I wanted to modernize my daughter's Wii. The 32 GB card is as large as the Wii will accept, and a VIEWHD2HDMI 720-1080 Upscaling Converter thru a MediaBridge 1.3b Ultra High-Speed HDMI cable brings the old Wii up to more modern capabilities. The VIEWHD2 and the MediaBridge Ultra HDMI cables are available from Amazon.com.
Coupled with a modern, 1080p-capable HDTV, the old Wii can now run those AMAZON INSTANT VIDEOS and NETFLIX with clearer, sharper pictures than ever before -- and the 32 GB SanDisk will give you plenty of room to stash your downloads.
on January 4, 2014
There are three computers in my house, and I had uploaded different but overlapping sets of photos to each one. In an effort to get all of my photos onto one iPhoto account, I used this SD card to download all the photos on all the computers, and wound up with over 9000 files! Some very large (5-6 MB each) and not all of them survived the transfer to the one computer--30 of them were rejected, but I still have them on the other computer.

If your camera saves photos in a large format, you might only get 700-800 photos out of this card. My Nikon CoolPix L110 would start working funny around 750, then just shut down without warning after about 800 photos, because each photo is about 2-5 MB. I was photographing ancestral graves in a town where many generations of ancestors lived, so I was taking hundreds of photos a day. I couldn't figure out how to adjust the file size without sacrificing quality, which is why I went back to a Canon PowerShot, which was my first camera. My new one is great. I haven't taken that many photos, so I don't know how the card will hold up if I ever get to that number.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 30, 2013
The cards arrived with no packaging. After a test with other Ultra cards I found these to be about 30% lower speed on the read, and 50% slower on the write speed than a REAL SanDisk Ultra.

Amazon has been allowing their third parties to sell counterfeit cards since atleast 2007 when we had this issue with their CF cards. I am shocked SanDisk does not sue the pants off Amazon.
Fast, flawless memory for my cameras. Although I do have a few chips from other manufacturers, these are the best. I've never gotten a bad one or had one fail me despite heavy usage -- frequently taking it out of the camera to be read in the computer, then clearing and reinserting it into a camera. These chips are fast and improve my camera's response time regardless of which camera I am using (I have three).

I have never had a problem with a SanDisk chip. Any SanDisk chip of any size or type. They seem to have superb quality control. I have had problems with other chips from different manufacturers, especially the ones that seem to come "free" with "kit" purchases of various types. I keep those for emergencies, but all my workhorse chips are now SanDisk.

I wait until they are on sale, then buy a couple at a time. I prefer to use many medium size chips to just a few bigger ones. Huge ones just encourage me to over shoot or download too infrequently. That being said, 8 GB is a pretty good size chip, even if your are shooting RAW+jpg.

I don't think you can go wrong with a SanDisk Class 10 of any size.
on March 18, 2015
A good solid memory card. I've come to love and respect the power of SanDisk Extreme, but the Ultra is a solid memory card in its own right. It's not the fastest card out there, but you won't likely notice the difference with a point and shoot camera. If you're using a DSLR, you will notice that this is a mid-range card. For the price you really don't have a legitimate complaint.

The 16gb card is a nice, cheap, and reliable memory card for the price. It is faster than the lower end cards and much more reliable, too. SanDisk makes a good memory card and the Ultra line is a prime example of that. If you don't want to get an Extreme card, get this one. The Ultra is perfect for your pocket camera and good for expensive DSLR cameras. It's a solid buy for the price.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on February 22, 2013
For those of us not technologically astute, "speed" is relative. For those of us who had 186 computers even before Internet, email, and dial-up, "slow" was measured in minutes - sometimes hours if you were writing to a tape drive - not second. That said...

Funny, I've been getting different results than others who have used this card. This is my second SanDisk Ultra 16 Class 10 etc. etc., and my wife and I use each in a Canon Powershot camera. I initially thought that the shutter lag was because of cold weather, but when my wife complained that, except in burst mode, she was seeing quite a lag (less than a second, but enough to miss a shot) between shutter and writing to the card. That may or may not make a difference to others using this card, but it's all I use it for.

On the "bright" side, when I download from the card, it's really fast. To be fair, my Dell computer has a specific slot for SD cards, and that may have a lot to do with the download speed.

ew