Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 22,847 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 23,975 reviews

So my lovely wife bought me a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 for Father's Day and I've been loving it ever since. Just as other with Samsung products, the Galaxy Tab 4 has the ability to add a microSD card to expand the memory on the device. Since it's been over a year, I decided to do some more research to see if SanDisk offered anything new. As of 6/19/2014, their product lineup for microSD cards from worst to best (performance-wise) are the as follows:
SanDisk
SanDisk Ultra
SanDisk Ultra PLUS
SanDisk Extreme
SanDisk Extreme PLUS
SanDisk Extreme PRO

Now, the difference between all of these cards are simply the speed in which you can read/write data to the card. Yes, the published rating of most all these cards (except the SanDisk regular) are Class 10/UHS-I but that's just a rating... Actual real world performance does get better with each model, but with faster cards come more expensive prices. Since Amazon doesn't carry the Ultra PLUS model of microSD card, I had to do direct comparisons between the SanDisk Ultra ($34.27), Extreme ($57.95), and Extreme PLUS ($67.95).

As mentioned in my earlier review, I purchased the SanDisk Ultra for my Galaxy S4. My question was, did I want to pay over $20 more for a card that is faster than the one I already owned? Or I could pay almost double to get SanDisk's 2nd-most fastest microSD card.

The Ultra works perfectly fine for my style of usage (storing/capturing pictures & HD video and movie playback) on my phone. So in the end, I ended up just buying another SanDisk Ultra 64GB card. I use my cell phone *more* than I do my tablet and if the card is good enough for my phone, it's good enough for my tablet. I don't own a 4K HD camera or anything like that, so I honestly didn't see a need to get one of the faster cards at this time.

I am now a proud owner of 2 SanDisk Ultra cards and have absolutely 0 issues with it in my Samsung devices.

I haven't had to buy a microSD card in a long time. The last time I bought one was for my cell phone over 2 years ago. But since my cellular contract was up, I knew I would have to get a newer card in addition to my new phone, the Samsung Galaxy S4. Reason for this is because I knew my small 16GB microSD card wasn't going to cut it.

Doing research on the Galaxy S4, I wanted to get the best card possible that had decent capacity (32 GB or greater). This led me to find that the Galaxy S4 supports the microSDXC Class 10 UHS-I card, which is the fastest possible given that class. Searching for that specifically on Amazon gave me results of only 3 vendors (as of April) that makes these microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 cards. They are Sandisk (the majority), Samsung and Lexar. Nobody else makes these that are sold on Amazon.

Seeing how SanDisk is a pretty good name out of the 3 (I've used them the most), I decided upon the SanDisk because Lexar was overpriced and the Samsung one was overpriced (as well as not eligible for Amazon Prime).

But the scary thing is that when you filter by the SanDisk, you literally get DOZENS of options. All of them have different model numbers, different sizes, etc. Then there's that confusion of what's the difference between SDHC & SDXC?

SDHC vs SDXC:
SDHC stand for "Secure Digital High Capacity" and SDXC stands for "Secure Digital eXtended Capacity". Essentially these two cards are the same with the exception that SDHC only supports capcities up to 32GB and is formated with the FAT32 file system. The SDXC cards are formatted with the exFAT file system. If you use an SDXC card in a device, it must support that file system, otherwise it may not be recognizable and/or you have to reformat the card to FAT32.

FAT32 vs exFAT:
The differences between the two file systems means that FAT32 has a maximum file size of 4GB, limited by that file system. exFAT on the otherhand, supports file sizes up to 2TB (terabytes). The only thing you need to know here really is that it's possible your device doesn't support exFAT. If that's the case, just reformat it to FAT32. REMEMBER FORMATTING ERASES ALL DATA!

To clarify the model numbers, I I hopped over to the SanDisk official webpage. What I found there is that they offer two "highspeed" options for SanDisk cards. These are SanDisk Extreme Pro and SanDisk Ultra. SanDisk Extreme Pro is a line that supports read speeds up to 95MB/sec, however they are SDHC only. To make things worse, they are currently only available in 16GB & 8GB capacities. Since one of my requirements was to have a lot of storage, I ruled these out.

The remaining devices listed on Amazon's search were the SanDisk Ultra line. But here, confusion sets in because SanDisk separates these cards to two different devices. Cameras & mobile devices. Is there a real difference between the two or is this just a marketing stunt? Unfortunately I'm not sure but I do know the price difference between the two range from a couple cents to a few dollars. Since I wasn't sure, I opted for the one specifically targeted for mobile devices (just in case there is some kind of compatibility issue). To find the exact model number, I would go to Sandisk's webpage (sandisk.com) and compare their existing product lineup. From there, you get exact model numbers and you can then search Amazon for these model numbers. That is how I got mine (SDSDQUA-064G).

As for speed tests, I haven't run any specific testing, but copying 8 GB worth of data from my PC to the card literally took just a few minutes.

One last note is that Amazon attaches additional characters to the end (for example SDSDQUA-064G-AFFP-A vs SDSDQUA-064G-U46A). The difference between the two is that the "AFFP-A" means "Amazon Frustration Free Packaging". Other than that, these are exactly the same. If you're wondering what I got (and want to use it in your Galaxy S4), I got the SDSDQUA-064G-u46A and it works like charm.
5150+ comments| 2,247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I have tested dozens of SDHC and micro-SDHC cards. One disturbing trend I noticed is that: the speed class rating for micro-SDHC is typically inflated. For example, a 'class-10' rating means the card must deliver a sequential write speed of at least 10MB/s. But somehow, a class-10 microSDHC cards is always slower than a class-10 SDHC card from the same manufacturer. Case in point: the PNY 32 GB microSDHC Card (P-SDU32G10-EFS2) claims to be 'class-10', yet it can only write at 8.6MB/s maximum, while the full-size PNY P-SDHC16G10 achieved 13.4MB/s according to CrystalDiskMark v3.01.

This SanDisk Ultra 32 GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 card (SDSDQUA-032G-U46A), however, proves to be the exception. It achieved a sequential write speed of over 10MB/s according to two different benchmark programs (11.8MB/s in "CrystalDiskMark", 10.6MB/s in "H2testw v1.4"). This is faster than all my other microSDHC cards, including two 'class-10' cards from PNY and Polaroid.

A closer look at the file transfer speed using "Flash Memory Toolkit" revealed another nice surprise: For writing small files, this Sandisk Ultra microSDHC card performed just as well as its full-size counterpart, the SanDisk Ultra SDHC (SDSDU-032G-AFFP). In contrast, all my other class-10 microSDHC cards perform poorly while writing smaller files. See the benchmark results I uploaded to 'Customer Images' for details.

When you use a memory card in a digital camera to record HD video, it needs to store a huge video file each session. That means its sequential write speed is most critical. When used in a tablet or a smart phone, however, the card's random write speed for small files is more important. That's why in such applications, the Sandisk microSDHC will perform faster than the PNY and Polaroid cards, even though they are also rated as 'class-10'.

[Bottom Line]
As of this writing, the Sandisk Ultra microSDHC card ia actually priced lower than other class-10 cards from PNY and Polaroid. This makes the Sandisk the best value - especially if you need honest class-10 performance across all platforms.

[Side Notes]
- Do not confuse this Sandisk Ultra card with SanDisk Mobile Ultra microSDHC (SDSDQY-032G-U46A). The latter is rated for class-6 only.
- The size of this '32GB' card is 29.7GB according to my computer. This is actually normal because computer people count one Gig as "2 to the power 30", which is 7.3% larger than one billion. So 29.7GB translates to 31.9 billion bytes, which is '32GB' according to marketing people.

[Update on Feb 4, 2013]
1. Amazon combined the Sandisk Ultra 32GB and 64GB cards on the same product page. Please beware that your intended appliance must be compatible with 'SDXC' in order to used the 64GB version. My original review refers to the 32GB 'SDHC' version.

2. There are two part numbers for the same card. If you start from the Amazon product page and select 'Retail Packaging', you'll see the part number of SDSDQUA-032G-U46A. But if you click on 'Frustration Free Package', the part number changes to SDSDQU-032G-AFFP-A.

[Update on Oct 5, 2013]
The Sandisk microSDHC card works great in my new Samsung Galaxy S3, without the need for reformat (the default format is FAT32)

[Update on Dec 26, 2013]
My old test results were limited by the card reader and USB 2.0 port used. I re-tested the Sandisk UHS1 micro card using the Transcend RDF5 Card Reader connected to an USB 3.0 port. Here are the results from 'CrystalDiskMark 3.01 x64':
- Sequential Read speed = 40.0MB/s (was 34.8MB/s when connected to USB 2.0 port)
- Sequential Write speed = 13.1MB/s (was 12.6MB/s when connected to USB 2.0 port)
review image review image
5150+ comments| 1,616 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2014
I for one have not bought into Google's, or anybody else's, idea that streaming everything is so great. With all the regressive data caps and sketchy throughput, I never want to rely on something being available to me online. Much better to have it local. And with this new card I can finally pack all of my music (~56GB), all of my photos, dozens of reference ebooks, and a few videos to boot and still I have around 9GB free as breathing room for my podcatcher. The only real bummer with this card is the speed. Just as I got acclimated to SanDisk's 64GB Extreme Plus level of speed, going back to ordinary class 10 speed that this card has is a little painful. Luckily playing music or even playing videos doesn't oversaturate the read performance. What WILL trip you up however is doing a straightforward copy or move operation while you're listening to something. This card does not seem to handle multiple simultaneous operations without something going awry. So long as you understand it's limitations and you can live with them, the enormous amount of storage you can pack into your phone or tablet is very welcome.

So far I've used one of these in a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100, LG G Pad, and a Sony Xperia Z1 Compact - all with success.
on April 22, 2016
Physical Design and Speeds
The 64GB microSDXC is red and blue, a bright change from existing black memory cards. That makes it harder to lose. As someone that uses (and loses) microSD cards on a regular basis, I can tell you that this simple change in color makes a big difference. It also looks snazzy.

If this is your first microSD card, you should know that it's really, really tiny, about the size of the size of your pinky nail. It comes with an adapter that allows you to use the card in any SD slot, so it'll work with digital cameras and be easily readable in computers.

The actual amount of space available on the card is 59.46GB. It's faster than most phone and tablet memory cards, with Class 6 speeds of up to 30MBps. I tested the read and write speeds using the Antutu benchmarking app on a number of Android-based smartphones. The read speeds consistently reached 30MB and slightly above for each test, while the write speeds averaged out to 13.5MBps. That's about identical to the results I got for a 32GB microSDHC card.

Compatibility and Conclusions
My biggest fear was compatibility. Most phones support microSDHC, which maxes out at 32GB. MicroSDXC is the new standard announced in 2009 that allows small memory cards like this to support storage sizes up to 2TB. The thing is, current phones don't have SDXC slots. Luckily, the card worked in every phone I tested it with. I threw it into a Motorola Droid Bionic, Samsung Galaxy S III, and a Sony Ericsson Xperia Play 4G, and it worked without a hitch each time. I also tried it with a Motorola Droid (4 stars), to see how it would work in an older device. Again there was no problem, and each phone was able to recognize the card at its full capacity, as well as read and write without a problem.

The card also worked fine in multiple Windows 7 PCs and a 27-inch iMac. One Lenovo Windows 7 laptop had a problem reading the card using the included SD adapter, but that laptop also couldn't read a 32GB MicroSDHC card.

If you're considering the 64GB SanDisk Ultra microSDXC card, it ultimately comes down to two questions. Do you need this much storage, and are you willing to pay for it? If you listen to lots of music, capture HD video, and take a bunch of photos, the microSDXC doubles the amount of storage available to you. And it may be costly, but it's less expensive than a brand-new iPod Classic.
review image
I needed a 32 GIG micro SD card to use in an Android tablet to expand the memory. This SanDisk card has such a good reputation and price that it is hard to pass up. I have used a lot of SanDisk memory cards in the past and I have never has any issues with them. I wanted a Class 10 card for the speed as I will be storing a lot of apps, videos and photos on the tablet and making sure that they were quickly transferred to the SD card and that they play with the maximum speed and quality.

I did multiple speed tests using a bench marking program to check the claimed speeds. One test was using a UBS 2.0 adapter and the other test was using a USB 3.0 adapter and both were plugged into the same computer's USB 3.0 port. I included the color graphs of the test results in my short video for your information. Using USB 2.0 I got a write speed of 16.661 MB/s and a read speed of 21.682 MB/s. I then used the USB 3.0 adapter and the same USB 3.0 port on the computer and the write speed was 19.889 MB/s and the read speed was 45.041 MB/s. That is a very good result for a Class 10 memory card.

I rated this as a 5 star item for testing so well and being sold at a great price. I also like that the card comes with a 10 year warranty. It also works perfectly in the Android tablet.
For some devices using micro-SD cards, 32GB is the maximum size you can use. If you are considering a larger card, make sure your device can support a larger capacity. And to be safe, check that your device can handle the 32GB size as well.

My intended purpose for using this card is in my GoPro Hero 3 Black and in another sports cam I have, the Polaroid XS100 Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Video Camera With Full Mounting Kit Included

The SanDisk Ultra 32 MicroSDHC is a Class 10 card. A card with a high data transfer rate is a must for a sports cam such as the GoPro. Some of the issues users experience with their cameras ultimately can be blamed on a card that is too slow for the device.

I have been very pleased with the way these cards work in my GoPro. No problems whatsoever and the capacity is huge.

These are priced very reasonably and are a great value.
55 comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2017
Works exactly as it should.

SanDisk is a brand name with a good reputation and this 32 GB micro SD memory card certainly lives up to it. I needed a larger memory card for my Android smart phone because frankly, I had outgrown my 16 GB SD card. I like to do a lot of picture-taking and video-recording and my 16 gig SD card was completely out of room, so I needed a low-cost but good quality 32 gig SD card. This one did the trick.

I also like the fact that it comes with the memory card attachment so you can put in your computer or other gadget that on takes the standard size SD card.

Overall, it's definitely worth the money. I'd buy another one if the need for it ever arises.
on June 28, 2014
I got my wife a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 for Christmas, and it took awhile for her to start figuring out all the things it can do. Once she did, that led, of course, to her wanting to watch movies on it. That was my signal to spring into action, that is, if I wanted to prevent her from running wild, buying "digital copies" of every movie we already have in DVD or Blu-Ray. You can't play DVD or Blu-Ray movies on this device, but you CAN use your computer's DVD or Blu-Ray drive and commonplace third-party software to convert movies in this format into ".mp4" and/or several other types of video files that CAN be played on this tablet.

Since this particular tablet is capable of playing high-definition video (screen resolution is 1280 x 800 pixels), and we want to use ALL of that high-def capability, my conversion files tend to be pretty large (average 5 to 10GB per movie) ... way too big to be stored on the tablet's limited internal memory. That's where the tablet's microSD slot ... and this SanDisk flash memory ... comes in. I make HUGE mp4's, store them separately on a 1.5 terabyte drive, and then load as many of them as I can on this chip, which shows up in the tablet as a separate memory source. Then all you have to do is pull up one of the movie files from the card, and hit play. You can use the device's standard video player, or get an app with more controls.

Watching high-def video on a tablet that's streaming the data from a memory card (rather than the tablet's internal memory) requires a memory card with very high "read speed," and this SanDisk card's "Class 10" rating fills that bill. That's the difference between cheaper microSD that's primarily designed for simple data storage, and microSD that's designed for higher active transfer/read speeds. The "Class 10" designation generally means that the subject card will transfer data at a MINIMUM rate of 10MB per second. This SanDisk "Ultra" card is capable of transferring data at speeds of up to 30MB per second, depending on the speed of the device you're using it in, and other particulars of the way you're using the device.

"Frustration free packaging" means the chip, SD adapter, and plastic case comes in a little, sealed cardboard envelope with a pull tab opener. This card comes pre-formatted for Android, and my use of it in the Galaxy Tab 3 for watching high-def .mp4 movies has thus far been flawless.

Finally, don't let yourself get burned by counterfeiters in trying to save a buck. While pricing on memory tends to fluctuate, Amazon's current pricing on this card is VERY competitive with any/all vendors out there selling GENUINE SanDisk "Ultra" memory. Buy from Amazon, or other trustworthy vendor, because I just learned the hard way that these memory cards are being counterfeited in huge numbers ... that is, the counterfeiters are placing SanDisk labeling/packaging on inferior, generic microSD, and selling the bogus chips on Ebay and anywhere else they can. I bought THREE from Amazon after I got burned by a Chinese seller on Ebay. The counterfeit packaging and labeling was good enough to fool me, until I actually tried one of the chips in the Galaxy Tab 3 ... the write speed (that is, the amount of time it takes to transfer files ONTO the microSD card) was dramatically worse than the speed of a genuine SanDisk "Ultra" card, and the read speed was totally inadequate for playing movies on the Galaxy Tab 3. I may never have figured it out at all if I didn't already have one other, genuine SanDisk "Ultra" with which to compare the fakes.

If you want the best, most reliable memory for the microSD slot on your shiny, new Android device, look no further ... this is it.
on June 14, 2014
This card is pretty cheap for how tiny (physically) and large (digitally) it is - at least in mid 2014. I got it to extend the storage capacity of my Surface Pro 3, and it has done just that. I can store files on it so that I don't have to take up precious space that can be dedicated towards programs since the Surface Pro 3 has a full Windows 8 on it. It also doubles as a storage device for my GoPro Hero 3 Black, but I have a faster card for it to prevent the freezing issue. The size of this micro SD card just does a great job in storing data like videos, photos, and music. It fits in most devices that are moving to Micro SDXC, such as phones, tablets, and my beloved Surface Pro 3. I highly recommend this card if you just need to extend the storage of your device. Reconsider a faster card if you want to record video straight to it, like with a GoPro.
on October 8, 2012
I purchased this from Amazon. It failed after 60 days. All files lost. Card unformatable and unreadable. Unreturnable to Amazon after 30 days. I just returned from UPS dropping this off. Its back to Sandisk. I am now at their mercy and their return and replacement policies. I will keep this review updated as this plays out. From what their reps said on the phone I should have a replacement within 2 weeks. Let the clock begin ticking.

update 10/19/12
The replacement micro sdxc card came by UPS yesterday. I am loading 50gb of vids and music. So far no problems. Copy is going swiftly and without glitches. If the process should fail or data lost I will update again. There seems to be no problems with the replacement. I will say that the Samsung Galaxy S3 recognized the card out of the box. exfat format. The original card had to be reformatted into Fat32 for the phone to see it. This alone is progress.
Should there be any problems I will update this post again