Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on February 7, 2016
The music of the J. Geils Band is of such a good time R&B boogie nature that sometimes when I'm in a mellow, good mood, its such a pleasure to indulge in their material like this release in Sanctuary. The songwriting duo of keysman Seth Justman and vocalist Peter Wolf turn in a solid, assured and overlooked classic release, in my opinion. The ballad, "Teresa" is at the center of the album's length and is a powerful song with some beautiful piano playing and a heartfelt vocal from Wolf, as well as great harmonies from Justman and drummer Stephen Bland. Cuts like "I Could Hurt You", "Take It Back" and "I Can't Believe You" feature such a natural groove that instantly hits you with their melodic hooks and exceptional tight ensemble playing. Guitarist, leader J. Geils gets in some awesome guitar spotlights on the album's title track as well as the sharp and steady "One Last Kiss", while the sentimental soul/groove of "I Don't Hang Around Much Anymore" shows off the group's sense of dynamics and musical dexterity.

Closing with "Jus' Can't Stop Me", which would serve as another rave up, especially in the proceeding concerts that the group would perform, fitting alongside nicely with such live staples as "(Ain't Nothin' But a) House Party", "Southside Shuffle" and "Pack, Fair and Square", they manage to capture some of their live performance energy onto the studio cut of this number with great success. It would take another album before the group found its greatest success in 1981's "Freeze Frame", but "Sanctuary", I think, remains a great album overall with nary a bum tune attached to its near 37 minute length. Great album. 4 solid stars
on May 17, 2017
I had this on 8 track, I guess that tells my age, when it first came out. For years I looked for it on vinyl but was unable to find a copy. After J geils passed away I remembered how much I used to love this album and looked again for it on Amazon. I am very happy to have this in my collection on CD.
on May 29, 2017
old favorite
on August 15, 2015
One of J. Geils best albums! Really enjoy listening to this album.
on March 9, 2011
The J Geils Band has (and will always have), a special place in Rock & Roll history, and THEY are the true Bad Boys from Boston! If anyone disagrees with that, than you need to go and "Blow Your Face Out" (another great LP). It's been my honor to see them 6 times ('73 - '81), and they always steal the show, no matter where they go. Like most other Geils fans, I've always been drawn to their earlier original Funk party, Boggie Blues sound, that no one else even dare attempt, no less, make it happen. "Sanctuary" is a LP that captures some of their old style best of Boggie, Ballards, and Blues, with the newer sound of where this HOF Group was going.

J's Guitar work really comes out of the shawdows on this Album (esp on "One Last Kiss" & "Wild Man"), Magic Richard (once again), reinforces just how Hip the Harp really is, DK & Steve are as smooth in the grove as ever, and Seth and Peter wrote some real master heart-breakers and mood makers like "Teresa", "I Can't Believe you", and "I Don't Hang Around Much Anymore". Seth (as always), rolls his distinct Harmond Black & Whites on tracks like "Sanctuary", "Wild Man", Teresa", and Peter's voice is as bold, seductive, and mature as it's ever been. "Ladies Invited" (another great), but I would strongly suggest for everybody to get educated with this LP! Watch Out!
on February 27, 2013
If you love The JGB, you'll love Sanctuary. A bit more polished and just as fun as previous studio efforts. Contains no clunkers. The live bonus tracks are the cherries on top of this sundae. (I Do and Land of a Thousand Dances from Showtime)
on December 15, 2009
The general public may only know Freeze-Frame and maybe one other J. Geils song but they are missing out on so much more. This album should be a classic, with some very moving songs. It really brought back memories and I think I can even appreciate it more now then when I first heard it years ago.
on November 20, 2015
ALLLLLSOME
on May 9, 2015
Perfect
on June 26, 2014
It was just what I expected no problems, arrived quickly and in good shape. The packaging was fine and the deliverly was spot on, Thanks