Industrial Deals HPC Spring Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Made for you. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18PP_gno

on October 25, 2012
This is a great mala, the beads are large and it fits my wrist perfectly in four loops. I've purchased other malas that were unexpectedly tiny, but this exceeded my expectations. The sandalwood beads smell lovely and feel good under the fingers. This is a high quality item.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 27, 2014
I am enjoying using this lightweight mala. The fragrance of the sandalwood gently scents the air around me during meditation. It is so light, it is not distracting. I've been using a natural stone mala for years and there are two reasons I like this one better: my thumb gets sore using the heavier natural stone; my thumb is comfortable going through these wood beads; and second, the 8 mm bead is more comfortable to work than the 6 mm of my stone mala.

This is a very inexpensive mala, but I don't think that should be equated as 'cheap' or of less worth than others. It is strung on heavy, elasticized cord, suitable for winding around the wrist as many monks do while they are doing other things so that it is handy when they want to use it. The tassel is very pretty. I hope I can salvage it and rework it as part of the mala when this mala needs to be restrung.

Where the ends of the cord were brought through several beads after the knot before being clipped, the cord end is visible/sticking out a bit from the bead where it ended. Someone experienced with beading knows that this doesn't affect the stability of the knot. If it poked out any more than it does, I'd simply cut a bit off the end, but I don't find it a problem in how the mala looks or its use.

If you haven't had much experience with using a mala regularly, you should know that all malas, no matter how costly or inexpensive must be restrung from time to time because of the abrasive nature of using them. This cord is very sturdy, so I doubt I'll have to restring it for at least a couple of years (I use my mala 6-8 times a day).
on March 25, 2013
I just received my sandalwood mala today. It shipped much faster then they estimated (April 10-26th was the dates given and I got mine by March 25th).

It's very pretty and seems to be well made. When I got it, it was a little oily so I did have to wash it, but overall I think it's really beautiful and comfortable to wear, both around the neck and on the arm. As others have said they used an elastic material so it stretches, which I quite like.

The stone at the bottom is actually carved into a small swastika, that is hard to notice at first! I have no idea if it's real sandalwood because I'm no wood expert, but it does have a sandalwood smell and for the price, I think it's worth it regardless...I would buy from this seller again in the future.
review image
on December 13, 2015
I have been ordering malas from Ovalbuy-Jewelry for years. I order a bunch of diverse ones as gifts for my sanghas 10 year anniversary. I have been ordering the Tibetan green sandalwood mala for myself. It is on stretchy material so you can wear it around your neck or wrap around the wrist. The last one broke because it was getting tangled in my arm and elbow while I slept. So I'll start taking it off at night. It has a nice sandalwood smell and greenish tint to the beads. They used to ship from shenzen China but last two shipments came from within the US and arrived in just a few days. Great for self or gifts. Good price malas.
on May 16, 2013
This is my first set of mala beads, so I have nothing to compare them to. The expected delivery date was about 3 weeks. They arrived much sooner than that. The beads came in a nice little pouch for storage. When you open the package, you can immediately smell the sandalwood. It is pungent so if you have any problems with perfumes and such this could bother you. The beads are a beautiful green and about the size that you would find on a traditional Catholic rosary. I have small hands and you'd think the size of the beads would work well for me when I use them, but I am having some trouble. I'm not sure if it is the size of the beads or it's just that I'm not use to holding the malas and going from bead to bead. I understand it is appropriate to wear them around your neck or wrist if you want. They fit nicely either around my neck or wrist, and I understand why someone might want to wear them. I wasn't sure I'd like using the mala during my practice so I bought these because they were inexpensive and got a good customer rating.
on January 30, 2016
These arrived way before they were scheduled to arrive. They arrived neatly packaged and the moment I took them out I smelled their incredible scent. I wear them daily around my neck and at night wrapped around my wrist so I constantly smell the sandalwood while sleeping. The only thing is, they are on a stretchy string so I am little concerned about their durability. So I plan to purchase some stronger string and take a needle to restring the beads. Not a big deal, easy fix. I can do that while the other string is attached and then cut the stretchy when finished. I read where someone said theirs was oily but mine was not. I am very pleased with the purchase. Very good quality and fast service. Thank you!
on February 21, 2017
Ohhh I do love it's scent. I am prone to anxiety especially with the way the world seems to be these days. I use this or another mala bracelet as many would use worry stones. They help me feel grounded.
on March 22, 2013
I have been under a lot of stress lately and have been seeking a number of ways to divert some of that negative energy that is driving bad health. I decided based on previous reviews to purchase the sandalwood meditation beads. Now I am not Buddhist, nor follow any of its tenets. However, much like a rosary for Catholics, or other beads, I just wanted something to use while I mediate on scripture and my own thoughts of calm and relaxation.

It only took about 8 days to be delivered from Hong Kong, packaged in a small padded mailer. It is well constructed and smells wonderful! My only concern is the small greenish decoration.. It looks a bit like a swastika. (And I do understand the true origins).

Overall I am quite pleased I am sure after a lot of use the elastic will break or loose its elasticity. I will just restring it.

I could not find any real reason to give it less than 5 stars. The cost was minimal and the product was a very good value and quality.
on April 22, 2013
So, not only did these beads arrive about two weeks before their earliest estimated delivery date, which floored me, but they're better than I expected! They look cool, they smell AMAZING (my teenage sister can't stop smelling them when she sees them around my neck, which has become problematic), they have a great feel to them, and they make it easier to focus when meditating. Definitely satisfied with what I bought, and the low price doesn't hurt either. I'd recommend them to anyone in the market for some meditation beads, and if I ever need any more, I know where to buy them!

EDIT: Upon further thought, I thought I might add that unlike other reviewers, it doesn't loop around my wrist four times for a perfect fit, but my wrists are on the small side, so if you have a small wrist (like if a 6-inch bracelet is still a bit loose on you like they are on mine) then you might want to just wear them around your neck.
on May 28, 2017
I recently received these finely crafted mala beads and have been pleased overall. However, upon opening the packaging I was hit with a very powerful scent of something akin to lemon Pledge...not sandalwood. Not necessarily a bad smell, but overbearing. I had to air the beads outside for about 4 days before the scent was bearable. Perhaps my idea of how sandalwood is skewed, but my wife was the one to compare it to lemon scented Pledge.