Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Sanderson Delivers a Killer Finale

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2008, 8:08:17 PM PDT
N. Bilmes says:
I just finished reading an advance reader's copy of Hero of Ages, and can't say enough about how good it was. Apart from one desultory chapter in the early going, Sanderson's book is a page-turner that'll blow you away with revelations that you will not have seen coming. Sanderson connects all the dots by the end, and leaves nothing unanswered. It was a pleasure to read a trilogy that in no way is going to keep going.

At least I hope it doesn't keep going. The ending was terrific, and one more chapter would have ruined the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2008, 5:26:37 AM PDT
I totally agree. I got an advanced copy and it is one of the best books that Brandon has written yet. A must read for anyone who is interested in some fresh fantasy that breaks the mold.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008, 2:56:10 PM PDT
Erika says:
I loved it! Sanderson really knows how to end a series and leave readers feeling satisfied. This series, in addition to his debut novel, Elantris, make wonderful additions to the fantasy genre.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2008, 3:46:24 PM PDT
Bravo, Sanderson! This book was amazing.... I forced my roommate to stay awake until 1 AM so I could finish it. Oh well, it was amazing! The ending had some sad parts to it, but it was a greatly satisfying conclusion! Everyone should read this!

Posted on Feb 13, 2009, 11:54:37 AM PST
C. B. Harris says:
yeah i totally loved the finale. great ending that left me satisfied.

Posted on Mar 3, 2009, 10:08:40 AM PST
E. Nwaoha says:
I'm half way into The well of ascension.

Posted on Mar 24, 2009, 11:31:34 AM PDT
I've read all of Brandon Sanderson and enjoy Robert Jordan/ JV Jones/ Terry Brooks/ --who else who you guys recommend to me for 1st class Fantasy??

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2009, 8:25:46 PM PDT
jessica says:
David Gemmell Rigante Series is very good. I love all his books except Troy Series.

Posted on Jun 5, 2009, 4:45:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 5, 2009, 4:46:23 PM PDT
<<*spoilers*>> I thought that was one of the worst endings ever. Elend allows Marsh to behead him?! Vin finds comfort in that because she already let him go at the Well of Ascension?! Overall the book was at least 200 pages too long. Sazed going on and on about him losing faith. Everything didn't need to be explained. Terrisman, Kandra, Koloss, Allomancy, Mistborn, etc. Elend's character should never have allowed Cett to speak to him like that. Ruin was an empty headed bully even though he was actually controlling everyone all the time even everything they wrote. *snooze*
The whole 16% thing was obvious especially with a chart listing 16 metals at the back of the book.
All through the book Vin didn't give up and wanted to see the world transform. I guess her Misty Self will have to do.
Loved the first 2 books and it's sad that this book was so "SueDoe Sycho Logical MumBo JumBo".
Leave the depressing stuff to Joe Abercrombie.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2009, 7:22:12 PM PDT
"spoilers"
Overall -- I enjoyed this series very much. Although the last book was probably a little long in the 'self-doubt' category. I don't think Peragulator thought through the Elend beheading very much. Elend's goal was to use all of his allomancer to burn up the Atium. He knew that the battle was probably going to end in all of their deaths from the beginning. He said as much. Burning up the Atium was his 'revolution' against Ruin, and he succeeded. Once completed he knew he couldn't fight Marsh anymore.

The best chapters were the 'Spook' chapters. Here's where most of the action and character development took place. Without them, the book would simply be a long crisis of faith, which was needed to reach the final conclusion, but excessive.

I certainly don't believe that Ruin controlled everyone all the time and everything they wrote. He was not omnipotent, nor omnipresent.

I think the one character that I truly didn't understand at the end was Yomen. He was too smart for his own good, but at the same time he was too stupid for his own good. The character at the end of the book that sounds rational and intelligent would have accepted the offer Elend offered at the first ball.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012, 6:16:20 AM PST
Alan Duggan says:
** spoiler alert ** Another fantastic read, Book 3 was a delight. Lots of questions were answered in this book as i expected due to this being the final book set in the age of Vin, Elend and the Crew.

Did i have an idea how it would end ? No

What i will say is that this has to be one the best endings to a book i have read, i could see the world in my head as clear as if i was there!

The setting, the colours and the faces of the people who must have been amazed and what they had just experienced (i know its not real). AWESOME!

One thing that i am still unsure of was when Vin destroyed herself and took ruin with her. To me this felt as if she had given up, happy to say that the world was doomed and she would happily sacrifice the chance of saving the populace to kill Ruin.

Or did i miss something ?

Did she know someone else could possibly take the power ? or did she indeed decide that the world was doomed ?

I have a feeling i missed something which would not be the first time...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about
The Hero of Ages: Mistborn Book Three
The Hero of Ages: Mistborn Book Three by Brandon Sanderson (Paperback - February 1, 2010)
4.6 out of 5 stars (841)