Your Garage Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 546 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 574 reviews
on April 14, 2014
So this little radio worked perfectly for me for about six weeks - just until my first set of batteries ran out. After the radio auto powered off I put in some new batteries and the screen was dead - nothing. I looked through the other Amazon 1-2 star reviews and there seem to be a bunch of others reporting this arm problem.

Before sending it back for repair (or to the trash) I read the manual and learned that this radio has a feature so that you don’t have to reprogram the radio when changing batteries. It has an internal capacitor to give you enough time to change the batteries. So what I did was to remove the new batteries and let that capacitor fully discharge. I left mine out all day, but I bet 30 minutes would be sufficient. After 8 hours w/o batteries I put them back in and the radio now works perfectly!

I think this is probably a design/manufacturing problem with the radio that hopefully will be addressed in a new rev. The headphones aren’t great, but other than these two things I love this little radio.

Fix those two complaints and I'd give it five stars.
on September 4, 2016
This cute radio looks so clean and elegant.

The reception is great! Crystal clear audio and the digital bass bost is a charmer especially with FM audio quality.
And fyi, this radio doesn't have a built-in speaker so you need to plug this to the earphone or at the aux input of any bt speaker.

The most annoying thing about the design of this radio is that when you plug this to the aux input of any speaker, the speaker, being a magnetic device, creates interference with the FM signal so when the FM reception is not that great, this can severly affect its signal :(

But overall, great look, reception and quality deserves a 4 star review from me.
review image
on January 28, 2011
I bought this radio to replace a 4 year old Sangean DT-200vx. The DT-200vx was excellent in every way, but unfortunately I dropped it in a bucket of strong ammonia based disinfectant where it remained totally submerged for 45 minutes. I pulled it out and ran it under a cold water faucet for 30 seconds to rinse out the disinfectant. I figured that radio was a goner and set it aside to dry. I decided to buy a replacement and ordered the Sangean DT120 since I had such good luck with Sangean products. In the meantime my DT-200 dried out and, to my surprise, it actually worked after I put batteries in it. I couldn't believe it. I must have dropped the DT-200 at least 6 times on hard floors, and it was submerged for 45 minutes in disinfectant, and it still worked! Now I had 2 working Sangean pocket radios, the DT-200 and the DT120, so I decided to compare the two. I put the 2 radios in one hand and walked around my house for 45 minutes changing the earbud jack back and forth to see if there were any differences. In terms of reception the 2 radios are very similar, which is to say the performance of the DT-120 is excellent. Strangely enough, the DT-120 has much better bass response though. I tested the radios with the Yuin PK3 earbuds from my I-Pod. The Yuins alone cost almost as much as the DT-120, but they are a great pair of earbuds. I will be using the DT-120 as my main radio now, with the old DT-200 as backup.
on June 20, 2016
Sangean DT-120 AM/FM: Complete Review!! So I got my radio today and it's slightly smaller than a deck of cards or pack of cigarettes. As you would expect from Sangean it's very well made but also very light. There is a clock on it that I probably won't be using much. There is room to save 15 stations (10FM, 5AM) As is typical with Sangean the reception is pretty good. I am able to rotate the included antenna/headphones and receive the co-channel within 100 miles. I noticed slight bleeding next to strong signals, but it's nothing to worry about. Example, I was able to tune in 107.7 WRKR, right next to my strong local on 107.9. I say this radio is a success.
review image review image
on February 18, 2016
This is a great little personal radio with stable reception and 10 FM presets. It replaced an old analog Sony that I used when I walked and lost (Of course, I found it after I ordered this one) But this has presets and two features (other than it's digital and has presets) that I really like. You can lock the buttons so that they can't be accidentally changed by hitting something in your pocket and it defaults to turning itself off after 90 minutes, which can be over-ridden by holding the power on button for a few extra seconds when turning it on. I would recommend it whole heartedly. I really like this radio.

***UPDATE**** April 10, 2016
I have really enjoyed this radio for all the reasons the reviewers have noted: easy to use; digital; 15 presets; button locking. etc. Up to now. I usually take this on my walks and went to use it today, and it was dead. I thought it was odd, since I had just replaced the batteries a few days ago after my last walk. I replaced the batteries and tried again, and again, it was dead. I looked in the manual and found a means to reset it. That didn't work either. This thing is just dead. I can assure you, that it was not abused. It hasn't moved from my desk since my last walk, when it worked fine. So I went online to see what the warranty is on this and it's 90 days. However, not only do you have to ship it back to them in California at your expense, but there's an $8 fee fpr them to fix or replace it under warranty. It was $32 on Amazon. Not a great buy if you have to add another $12+. I am very disappointed as I really liked this radio. It's the weekend, so I will call on Monday and see what they have to say for themselves. I'm hoping they have good customer support, as it's just under 90 days from when I got this on Jan. 21, 2016.

***UPDATE*** April 13
I called them and the tech I spoke to said to leave the batteries out for a day to see it would re-set itselt. It turns out, it was a much simpler fix than that. I use rechargeable batteries. It turns out, one of them was bad. It had nothing to do with the radio; it works just fine, as it always has. I thought I had put in a different set of batteries, but I didn't, so this is my fault. I would definitely recommentd this and their tech support was very helpful in tracking down the problem.
on January 5, 2016
I have a Panasonic RF-NA030 pocket radio which has analog tuning and no preset memory. I never appreciated the stable and clear reception of this radio and thought that is the standard and also I was annoyed to move the wheel every time I want to change station.
So I was glad when I came across the Sangean DT-120 which has all the functions that I was looking for. I read some reviewer saying the reception is bad and which I thought they must be very fussy and this radio can't be that bad.
I have been using this radio for a week and is happy with the preset memory but the reception and selectivity for AM is not very desirable. My only explanation for some of the review's complains may be because the tuning for this radio is increase or decrease by 10KHz. So if the station's frequency is 874KHz. The DT-120 can only either tune to 870K Hz or 880KHz, but never exact. So the reception is always off tune and unclear. I find if the station's signal is strong the listening is acceptable, but if the signal is average then it would be a pain to listen.
I also find this radio is sensitive to pick up hiss and hum if you turn the radio incorrectly, which I don't have the same issue with the Panasonic.
I only listen to AM stations, but FM may be alright, because when I turn the radio on, it will go to FM first and the reception seems to be quite good and the tuning is going up by 1KHz instead to 10KHz, so you can get spot on FM station's frequency.

Update: Thanks for Larry's comment I change the tuning step set up from 10KHz to 9Khz. The AM stations that I want to hear becomes loud and clear. Hence the upgrade from 2 stars to 3 stars because the hiss and Hum problem still exist.

on November 27, 2012
I cannot believe how bad the reception of both AM and FM stations is on this radio. More unbelievable is that the poor reception decreases over time. Yes, that's right, every week the reception gets weaker. Hey, it looks pretty, its very portable, and everything about it works EXCEPT the reception. I like to listen to talk radio, and it is very disconcerting to hear the sound dropping in and out in the course of every program I listen to. I got better reception from my 1960's portable radios than this one. I had heard good things about SANGEAN products from other sources on the internet, but I should have heeded one AMAZON customer who made a complaint about the poor reception problems he got using this radio. I have used the SONY WALKMAN with no problems ever in the past. Great reception, great product, great price. But, I wanted something smaller and different. Yeah, it is smaller, and it is different...it is a bad excuse for a portable radio. Just my opinion.
on March 18, 2015
In one of my reviews "I said get headphones, earbuds suck." Since I use headphones I never tried the Sangean earbuds that come with the DT-120. I just tried the Sangean earbuds and I am very impressed. The Sangean earbuds are more efficient/sensitive than any of my 3 headphones. That is for a 1 milliwatt signal its SPL (sound Pressure Level...a spec that is included is much higher than stated on the earbud/headphone package of all other brands)!

And even more importantly I believe the response of the earbuds is designed to match the output caused by the top-left bass button on the DT-120. The bass is deep, very pleasing, and balanced with the mid and treble response of the Sangean earbuds. Before you but headphones, try these most excellent earbuds. If thy don't stay in your ears when you run/jog then buy the headphones. If you buy the headphones from Amazon, make sure you compare the SPL levels and the audio responses of all candidates.

One crazy reviewer said it was flimsy, but it is an adequate sturdy design (coming from a patent holder). It is frugal with batteries lasting 16/18 hours (alkaline...steps down bat display) and up to 32 hours with lithium (goes instantly to zero bats).

Every switch is about as cleverly designed as possible, with an icon displayed for each switch action. Reception is better than my Nissan radio and it is digitally rock solid.

April 15: Replacing batteries rest th unit and restore buttons 3 and 4 to normal operation: Cancel:My only complaint is that after many months of operation top buttons 3 and 4 on band one retrieve the same station and I can no longer change to any other FM station on band one. This problem does not affect Bands 2 and 3. So, perhaps the failure was caused by static electricity (the internal circuits must be static sensitive CMOS for extremely low power consumption!

I am extremely pleased with the Sangean DT-120 and I will buy another when my current device fails. Excellent buy, better than later Sangean models.
on July 6, 2013
This little radio does just what I bought it for. I can turn it on, adjust the sound, lock down station and sound, tuck it in to my shirt pocket, and just let it do its thing while I do mine. It does not use battery life - but when it is locked, it turns itself off automatically, which is disconcerting, because you think it has died. Just unlocking it and turning it back on takes care of that problem. Reception has been very good - substantially better than my Sony Walkman. And it is so light and small that it is easy to take anywhere. Great value.

Have now had this radio for 15 months. I use it at least 4 days a week, for hours at a time. Still going strong. 9/8/2014
I really enjoyed this radio for about 10 months until the digital tuner quit working. I can occasionally get it to work by repeatedly pulling and reinserting the two AAA batteries until it responds for a short while before failing again. Other than this showstopper, the radio is fantastic: small, light weight, easy to tune, has five buttons on the top that can be present for three separate bands (two FM and one AM). The ear phone cord is the antenna for the radio and the sound quality and ability to pull in stations is excellent. The volume buttons are located on the face of unit along with buttons for Dynamic Bass Boost (DBB) and adjustable tuning step. I didn't like the comfort of the earbuds that came with the radio and replaced them with Sony earbuds. When turned on: the display shows the station, band, and signal strength. The radio also has a 90-minute turn off timer (that can be turned on and off) which shows on the display. When turned off: the digital display shows a digital clock. The radio has a switch on the back which locks the controls. Based on the reliability problems I have had with my radio, I cannot recommend it.