Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Color: White|Style: Radio|Change

Showing 1-10 of 1,322 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,486 reviews
on December 30, 2016
This radio is *twice* the size and weight as the venerable Sony ICF-79S and the audio is noticeably better (audio quality in the shower is not critical for me). However, despite other reviewers' comments, I did not find the receiver sensitivity (AM or FM) to be an improvement - and receiver sensitivity *is* important to the listening experience.
OK - The Sangean does have a flashlight that the Sony lacks...

If you're shopping for your first shower radio, this is a good one.
If you're looking for a replacement for your ICF-79S, keep looking.
review image
on October 29, 2015
Really like this radio. Bought it to replace a Sharper Image shower radio I've had for years. This unit is much more solid and well made. The reception for FM is excellent, AM is good and I even pick up a NOAA weather station although I am not near a large city. The unit (H201) has a thin white rubberized antenna cord about 38 inches long. It also comes with a large white plate to hang unit on wall, 2 fat screws and 2 plastic wall anchors, 3 thick double sided tape pieces and a detachable shoulder strap. The LED flashlight on the side is a neat bonus. The manual is very easy to understand and the set up is quick. The unit weighs 2lbs 13 oz with two D batteries installed. I did not purchase the adapter to plug the unit in as I'm trying to get away from cords in the bathroom. I don't listen to the radio for long periods so anticipate the batteries will last longer than a year. The shoulder strap is a bit short for me but I don't plan on toting this unit around. I'm going to buy another one for the kitchen. Will definitely recommend to others.
review image review image review image
on June 14, 2016
Primarily, I bought this radio so that I would not miss parts of my favorite christian sermons broadcast while I am getting ready for work in the morning. One baby boombox radio (You know, the ones that are almost round.) serves my kitichen / dining room / living room area. So I put this Sangean in the back part of my appartment in the bathroom, up on a hook, on the wall above the back of the shower. Furthermore, with bathroom accoustics, the sound reaches into my bedroom for when I am dressing. The sound is strong and mellow, actually soo much better than my other baby boom box radio that almost rattles if reception is poor. The Sangean's reception is clear and unwaviering, unlike the little boom box with the telescoping antenae that continually need adjusting. And the preselected channel buttons of the Sangean H201 zeros me right in on the channel without wasting time. 5 channels are more than sufficient, especially since I use #1( a channel about 60 miles away) almost every morning. This has a good solid feel, but is not too heavy for my wall hook. I bought a 4.5 to 7 lb removable wall hook ( over twice what is necessary) on Amazon because I love my new radio and don't want it to fall. I'm glad I did not pay more for the H202 because this fulfills my needs wonderfully. This is an excellent basic radio. But if you are seeking more ways to interconnect/communicate with your radio, this one is not for you. Oh yes, I use its timer to remind me when it is time to wind things up at home and go to work. Hope some of this helps you decide.
on December 10, 2016
I bought this radio to replace my Sony waterproof shower radio, which I loved. This is a great radio also -- very solidly built, very waterproof, reception is nearly always good, and I just found out from another review that the curved handle is an antenna also, in addition to the antenna wire, so now I will put that up too when listening in the morning as I get ready for work.

The sound is very good quality and I take it with me in the shower every morning, set it on a small stool and can easily listen to the news over the sound of the water running.

The radio is a little bit bigger than the Sony I had which is no longer being made, but that's OK. The station presets are what I was looking for, and they are terrific, although at times I wish there was more than 5.

The other change I would love for the manufacturer to make is put at least some of the push buttons on the top of the radio, rather than on the front of the radio -- when you need to push any button -- the power button, one of the preset buttons, etc, to change the station, you will likely need to hold the radio with one hand, and push the button with the other hand to get enough pressure / keep the radio from falling backward, esp. if your hand has soap or shampoo on it, but that is minor. Other than that, great radio all around, built to last and worth the price. You get what you pay for. I've even considered buying a second one for downstairs in the kitchen / family room.
on March 13, 2017
Great radio! I was VERY disappointed at first with the FM reception. Then I noticed the pocket inside the battery compartment with the antenna rolled up inside. Once I released it from its tiny prison, I got great FM reception! (Can you understand my embarassment? I should have read the owner's manual. LOL) I later bought the charger that goes with it. The batteries last a LONG time, but I figured for the $9.95 price, I'd start saving money on batteries at about 18 months. I mostly listen to talk shows - 2 on AM and 1 on FM. I couldn't even listen to the FM station until I unfurled the antenna! I have a fairly nice Emerson radio that gets great AM reception but gets bad FM reception on my low-power FM talk radio channel. This radio beats the Emerson hands down!!
on October 2, 2016
I came back to the Amazon page for this unit because a tiny tear has developed in the plastic sheathing of my built-in external-wire FM antenna. I wanted to find out if it could be replaced, but what I really noticed was how long I've had this radio--apparently I bought it in January 2010! Well, it is still going strong, working every bit as well as the day I bought it. I keep it on the windowsill of a tiny bathroom that doesn't have an exhaust fan, and that's why I went for the waterproof feature. I listen to it daily, and I don't think I've had to change the batteries (2 Ds, not 4 as some other reviewers have noted--maybe it varies by sub-model?) more than once, maybe twice a year. It tunes easily, stays connected, stays stable on a narrow surface, and just in general makes every morning better. The sound isn't meant to be audiophile quality, but I find it better than any other small-scale radio I know except my Bose--and the Bose doesn't stay tuned in half as well! It's true that you need to unfurl the FM antenna wire for this unit (I'm in a first-ring suburb of a large city, and I still need it), but that's a small price to pay for the good connection to your favorite stations. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat if I needed it, but that's the entire point--I don't need another one, because even after 6 1/2 years, mine is doing great!
on June 23, 2015
This radio is a total dud. The clock never worked. I set it repeatedly, and it just moved along on its own time, having nothing to do with normal human time. Within a few weeks of buying it, the radio stopped working completely. Didn't work with new batteries, didn't work with the adaptor plug. Note that there's a real range of reviews for this radio. It seems like a lottery whether you get a good one or bad. No quality control.

And by the way, it doesn't come with a plug. If you want one, you have to buy it separately.
on December 29, 2016
Wow is all I can say. I have an old Sony as did others and the sound and reception was dreadful. I really wanted to listen to the radio in the bathroom and finally decided to look to see if there was a good one. My husband insisted none would be good. After reading the reviews on this Sangean I decided to get it. Wow again. Was my husband wrong. I set it up in seconds for my favorite station and it is fantastic. It is clear as a bell and the volume adjustment lets me adjust so I can hear it very loud or softly. The reception is great. Happy I decided to get it. I can now hear the radio when I am in the shower. Sorry I waited so many years to get a new one.
I usually keep it on one station all the time so I don't expect any problems. Worth every penny.. COmes with a bracket if you want to wall mount it.
on September 18, 2016
I am very happy with this radio. It gets good reception on the station that is far away from me. It is well made and stout. I like the round handle that can be up or retracted. It takes 2 D batteries and I just had to change them for the first time (September) and I got the radio July 1st. I use it a lot so I was happy with how long they lasted. I carry it around to different rooms of the house and take it in the shower. I really recommend it. I don't use the wire antenna that's in the battery compartment. Prior to this I had a CCrane that I liked the small size, but it didn't last and had irritating electronic issues before it quit completely after only 3 years of use. It cost the same. This Sangean is a much better radio. The only thing I wish it had different was a headphone jack.
on April 15, 2017
This is the best "shower radio" I have ever had. I needed to replace the old one I had and due to my positive experience with the Sangean brand I decided to go with this one. Definitely a good choice. I'm able to tune in many more stations and the radio does an excellent job of rejecting adjacent stations (which is what kept me from receiving my second NPR radio station in the past).

The hook is great and well designed to be completely out of the way when not needed and when it is needed it has some bumps on the lower side that make leveling the radio simple.