BCA Month Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Chris young PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 5, 2010
I've had mine about 2 weeks now and have to say I am very happy with it. It works great with brown rice and white. Reading the water level is difficult as others have mentioned. But I resolved that by taking the special spoon that comes with the cooker, standing it upside down in the pot and filing small marks on the side of the spoon handle that correspond to the pot markings. Now when I add water, I stand the spoon up in it and add water to the mark on the spoon. This makes it much easier for me.

Another thing I did was carefully measure the volumn of the measuring cup that comes with the cooker. I was afraid it would get lost, so I made note of the US measurement equivalent - 2/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon.

A few folks have mentioned that it is hard to clean. I found it very easy. But I always rinse my rice first to get rid of excess starch. For me, this elimiates the foamy/boilng water mess. I wash the pot right after cooking, so it cleans easily. The vent in the top lid and the condensation cup both pop out easily for cleaning. A quick wipe down with a sponge and it is clean.
on April 22, 2011
I received this rice cooker from Amazon.com in early July, 2010, and it performed beautifully for about seven months. It's sturdy and very easy to clean. We made rice about twice a week with no problems. Then the "WARM" light stopped working and it shut off automatically. Next the "WARM" light started working again but the rice was hard even though all the water had been absorbed. We used the same type of rice (long grain brown) and the same proportion of one cup rice to two cups water that we always used. The time it took the cooker to finish also didn't change.

We paid $48 plus shipping. That makes each batch of rice cost approximately $l to cook based on the cost and estimated 56 batches (two batches a week for seven months). The short life of this product is commented upon in other reviews; however, I found the same complaints about other brands of rice cookers.

I just ordered Panasonic SRG06FG 3.3-Cup Automatic Rice Cooker from Amazon. It's smaller, feels cheap, has no "WARM" function, and is much harder to clean; but the first batch of rice was perfect. The Panasonic also carries buyer reviews complaining about the short life but I couldn't find any rice cookers that didn't. At least it only cost $25.60

I have friends with rice cookers that they have used successfully for years and this experience seems to be repeated in Amazon reviews: i.e., "I had a ______ rice cooker for years that I gave to my daughter and ordered a new one for myself that lasted about a year" etc.

Why can't anyone make a good rice cooker that lasts?
on April 8, 2012
We got this rice cooker a little over 3 years ago, and it's still going strong. We use it about 4-6 times per week to cook batches of rice and steam our veggies. It's mostly used to steam veggies, but we like that we can do both tasks with it without having to buy a 2nd kitchen appliance. The steamer basket isn't too big and only steam about 4 servings of veggies, but that is fine for our household at this time. The rice cooker makes about 7 standard cups of rice (not the rice cookers measurement of a cup), which is more than enough for us. The only complaint I have about it is that the rice gets browned on the bottom by the time it is done cooking. It's not that big of a deal b/c you can mix it in, but if you are really picky about the consistency of your rice, this might bother you. It also seems to overcook the rice a bit and blow out the grain. Again, doesn't bother us, but if you are picky about your rice texture, this might not be the machine for you. We cook mostly brown basmati, so I'm not sure if white jasmine rice or something like that comes out better. Overall, I definitely recommend this machine. When ours breaks we will probably upgrade to a more sophisticated one, like a Zojirushi so we can do more advanced things, but this is a perfect, low-cost, machine to get someone started. We couldn't afford a Zojirushi at the time and bought this one instead after reading reviews and do not regret it one bit! It has served it's purpose well and continues to do so.
on February 13, 2012
After a cheap rice cooker I had for years died, I thought I would upgrade and get this one. I wish I had heeded some of the reviews I saw on here. First of all, it is difficult to read the water level lines on the inside of the pot. I am young and thought it couldn't be that bad. It is. I have to hold the pot directly under a light to see the markings at all. Also, I often find that my rice is not cooked through when the cooker indicates it is finished. The final straw for me is that it is pretty cumbersome to clean. If it made perfect rice, the cleanup wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not sure that the rice in this cooker has ever turned out as good as the cheap one I used to have that I picked up at Target. I am now going back to a cheaper model - don't want to spend a bunch of money to end up with a dud again.
on December 14, 2011
I purchased this rice cooker to replace my 30 year old (yes, 30) National unit. It cooks rice well enough, no better or worse than my older one but at least it has the warming feature that my older one did not have. It also works very well as a steamer. However, there are two problems with this unit that are somewhat annoying. First, there is no "on/off" switch, so if it is plugged in the warming function is on so you cannot just leave it sitting on the counter top, plugged in. The second issue is that in my case, water collects between the inner and outer walls of the unit (I am guessing that the "dew collector" on the back is overflowing) requiring that I invert the unit and shake the water out.

Overall, it is not a bad unit, but in my opinion Sanyo cut a few corners in an effort to keep the price down and it results in a less than ideal appliance
on March 13, 2015
Bought this based on positive reviews by Cooks Illustrated. Have not used it to steam vegetables but have used it to cook white and brown rice. I've tried making rice on the stove but never had much luck. While cooked the rice lacks a fluffiness that you might want. While not difficult to clean it does require more cleaning effort than seems reasonable. You need to give the inside cover a good cleaning, make sure the gasket is clean and dry, and disassemble the three-piece steam vent, and plus remember to clean the drip catcher.

For brown rice I have better results if I let it soak for about two hours first and add a pinch of baking soda (the baking soda helps break down the rices hard coating)
on January 28, 2013
I bought this rice cooker several months ago after researching all the options. In general, I've been quite pleased with it. It makes tasty rice; the metal insert is easy to clean, and the closed design prevents it from making that annoying clanking noise that occurs with cheaper rice cookers (i.e. the sound of the lid bouncing around as air escapes). For better or worse, however, it takes forever to actually make rice. A single 1 cup batch of rice can take 30+ minutes to cook. This means that I have started a "quick" stir-fry on several occasions, only to realize that my rice wouldn't be done for at least 10 minutes after the other food was on the table. Usually, this can be circumvented by starting the rice before all the other food, but I still find it somewhat inconvenient. One should also be aware of the tiny plastic drainage cup in the back of the machine. It does accumulate water from the cooking process, so it should be cleaned regularly. Otherwise, it gets gross. Overall, I find this to be a very nice rice cooker. It does make good rice. It is not fast, though, so if you're looking for a quick machine, this is not your best option.
on March 5, 2012
I've always cooked rice in a saucepan on a stovetop before but got tired of the pan bubbling over all the time. This cooker is great. It is capable of making quite small amounts of rice too. I routinely cook about one-half a cup of rice in it and it turns out great. Brown rice needs to be soaked for six hours or longer prior to cooking or it really won't turn out very good but that is usually recommended anyway. I use one rounded half-cup brown rice that has been soaked, rinsed and drained, and two-thirds cup water, letting it stand for fifteen minutes while still covered after the cooking cycle is complete. It turns out fluffy and perfect every time. Very easy to clean too, just a quick wipe of the inside cover with a damp sponge, pop out the steam vent and rinse it off, and wash the inner basin with a non-abrasive sponge or cloth. I couldn't possibly be happier with this cooker, I use it nearly every day.
on December 25, 2012
i'd read/ researched much before purchasing this item. checked "Consumer Reports" as well as read many reviews about his particular model. most were helpful/ spot on: this is probably the best little bugger out there on the market today for the price (which we thought was reasonable). i'd have given 5/5 stars be it not for the pesky, little, plastic condensation capturer-thingy-device on the back of the unit. it does its job OK but is a bit of a struggle to get re-situated in place after emptying, cleaning, etc. it cooks rice to perfection, clean-up is a breeze, etc. however, the plastic spoon that comes w/ the product doesn't fit very well into the resting "slot" affixed to the side of the top lid. other than those two, slight "inconveniences", the product is terrific.
on March 21, 2012
I've only used the rice cooker about 10 times. So far, no complaints. Harder rice such as wild or brown takes longer to cook, but that's the way it is not matter what you're cooking it in. If you try to max-out the # of cups you're cooking the steam release will boil over on the top. The steamer release is easy to remove and clean. Works best if you are cooking less than 1 - 1 1/2 cups of rice (plus the recommended water). I wouldn't rely on the "keep warm" feature for more than 15 - 20 min b/c the rice does dry out. I've learned it's best to shut off the unit and leave the lid closed once it's done, that keeps it warm enough until we're ready to eat. Very easy to use, keep clean, and store. It's an affordable rice cooker and does a pretty nice job. I'd buy it again.