Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video Shop movie deals exclusively for Prime members on Amazon Video  Echo Dot Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on October 22, 2013
I started switching over to rechargeable batteries a few years ago. It just made sense, as I soon learned how much money I was saving by investing in them up front and replacing hundreds, if not thousands, of alkaline batteries. Thousands of batteries that ultimately could end up in landfills (if my local e-waste drop-off doesn't dispose of them safely). So the switch to rechargeable was saving me tons of money and preventing a LOT of unnecessary waste.

All that frugality and eco-friendliness was great... until I had the need for some D batteries. AA rechargeable batteries are easy to find and are very cost effective. Rechargeable D batteries? Not so much. The benefit of a D battery over a AA is that the D holds about 5 times the capacity, so it will last much longer in high drain devices (like your 80's ghetto blaster). Not only are rechargeable D's harder to find and are much, MUCH more expensive, but many have only about 25% more capacity than a rechargeable AA (2500 mAh vs 2000 mAh). The 2500 mAh in some rechargeable D batteries is about a quarter of the capacity of an alkaline equivalent, essentially negating the efficacy of buying that battery. I didn't want to purchase alkaline D's, as I would be contributing to more battery waste again. Higher capacity rechargeable D batteries are out there, going all the way up to 10,000 mAh, but are about $8 each and depending on your charger, may take a really long time to recharge.

But then I found the eneloop Spacer Pack. I've purchased eneloop AA batteries in the past and have been very happy with the performance, so I was purchasing these from a company I trusted. The AA batteries pop in with a "snap", and you're ready to go. The spacers have flawlessly fit all D applications for which I've tried them.

Note: The AA batteries will obviously still have only the capacity of a AA battery, so bear in mind you will be using a lower capacity AA in D battery applications. This means you will have to recharge your AA batteries more than you would be replacing alkaline or higher capacity rechargeable D's. I think it's a small price to pay for the convenience of using my AA batteries in multiple applications.

Bottom line: Save money and go green by using rechargeable batteries. These D battery spacers are good quality and the AA batteries snap right in. If cost is less of an issue and you don't want to recharge that much, you may want to invest in the 10,000 mAh rechargeable D batteries, but you will be doing so at a heftier price. Lenmar also makes these AA to D spacers, which sell for a few dollars cheaper, and I can't see a noticeable difference between the two.
on July 2, 2014
Work great, for the savings worth some hassles. For example the AA negative side is not as wide, so sometimes you have to move it around, push the lid around, or open it back up to adjust in order to get a connection. My flashlight requires a penny (or car wash token as I switched to) in order to make a connection on the cap spring. Otherwise using eneloops save me tons of money in batteries for my child's stuff.
on February 11, 2012
This adapter works in most applications but if you plan on using it for flashlights, there is one problem. If the flashlight has a coil spring that the battery adapter contacts on the bottom, make sure that the diameter of the coil is smaller than the diameter of the AA battery. Otherwise the battery will pop out when you load it into the flashlight. This happens because the battery is ejected when you press on the top contact of the adapter. If there are no coil springs then the adapter works fine.
on February 6, 2013
The Eneloop adapters have a nice snap to them when you insert the battery. They are sturdy, fit well, and are light weight. If you're worried about contact space on the bottom (e.g., large contact springs in flashlights), you can simply do a trick I saw in an online video and put a piece of tin foil around the bottom end of that first adapter. The inside of the Eneloop has 'fins' to hold the AA in place, which will also help keep the tin foil flat so that a spring does not somehow journey up into adapter between the battery and the adapter wall. Overall, simple, effective, durable, and affordable.
on July 6, 2012
Wow! These adapters are great! When I first stuck the AA batteries into each Eneloop Adapter, I ran into a big problem. The spring on my flashlight didn't make contact with the AA in the adapter. So, I stuck a nickle in the spring (has to be IN the spring so it doesn't slide to the side & short out against the metal flashlight body) & that solved my problem. These adapters have solved my problem of having a ton a AA batteries lying around doing nothing & now the flashlight is really bright again. This was well worth the purchase. I will make up the cost of these adapters easily when I no longer have to recharge the D batteries all the time.
on January 13, 2012
Not sure I like the design of these... They work, but sometimes the back-end of the battery doesn't want to easily engage the spring loaded side of battery compartments, requiring more care than if these things had been designed so that the battery were inserted into the spacer from the other end, presenting a larger 'bottom' and exposing the battery's 'top'. I have also used a spacer back that presented more of a shell that completely enclosed the battery, but those took more time to use, and were slightly longer than naked batteries, making some compartments a tighter fit than comfortable. These spacers are better than those.
on October 22, 2014
I use these in a pump for an air mattress so I don't have to lug around a bunch of "D" batteries. These adapters combined with Enloop rechargeable AA batteries will easily inflate and deflate my air mattress at least 2-3 times. when using this adapter, it can be tricky to get the end of the AA battery to line up with the prong or spring in the battery enclosure, but that is an issue with the AA and not the adapter.
on May 6, 2011
I have been using almost exclusively eneloop cells far some time now, but recently bought a lamp that required D cells. Sanyo doesn't make D cell low self discharge (LSD) batteries, so I looked to other brands. I was amazed to find that D sized LSD batteries cost over $10 PER CELL. I have a lot of extra AAs so I figured I could always switch when they run out. I'm not crazy about using AA batteries when much higher capacity D's could be used (about 5 times the capacity), but given the extreme cost of D cell LSD batteries and that these allow me to use AAs for everything, I think they are worthwhile.

So far these spacers have worked just fine for me, but some complain that they don't fit properly in some devices.
on July 6, 2013
These spacers work so well, replacing bulky and heavy D size batteries, allowing me to use smaller AA rechargeable batteries in my gadgets that require D batteries. And what's most remarkable, the gadgets run incredibly long on the AA batteries in these adapters (more a statement about the batteries), but the spacers make it possible. No more D batteries for this guy!

Plus... I think the name is hilarious... I mean, how do you pronounce Eneloop anyway?! Ha!
on September 5, 2012
I've had NO issues with these at all. My tip? Make sure you pack extra AA batteries since these will drain at a faster rate (D).

Highly recommend this for long term savings.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.