Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon howardsend howardsend howardsend  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

on March 9, 2014
I have have multiple knee surgeries and had not really been able to run for about 15 years because I have pretty much no cartlige in my knees. I was recommended a chiropractor that specializes in sports med was amazing.

Most every place I went to get fitted for the right running shoe said to buy the $30 insoles (which I did). I went to locally owned running store that bought out about 6 different shoes for me to try. These felt like clouds! I was shocked!

Pros:
- Very reflective (I run about 4am and the streets are very poorly lit)
- Weight less than my bedroom slippers and feel just as good
- I DON'T NEED ADDITIONAL INSOLES WITH THIS SHOE! (Yup, dead serious. The insole in the shoe is PERFECT and my knees are fine after a 5 mile run)
- The price was almost half of what I would pay in the store

Cons:
- I didn't know about these sooner
on August 18, 2013
Same light and comfortable as my old Kinvara 2 pair. Just a warning about the correct sizeing: I have listened to several reviews that recommended to go half a size bigger then usual Saucony size. Even Saucony's own "Show me how it fits ..." web tool recommends the same. Well both of those were wrong. I was size 8 for both Kinvara 2 and Mirage 2 and I am the same size for Virrata. I have initially order 8.5 size, but had to exchange it because it was way too big ...

**UPDATE** Unfortunately after only about 70 miles the middle layer mesh of the right shoe upper tear around the big toe area ... Returning it and probably be going back to Kinvara ...

**UPDATE 1** I have submitted my unfavorable review also on Saucony website - without asking for anything, Saucony contacted me and offered return/replacement ... Must say that I am impressed with their customer service.
on July 6, 2015
These are some of the best training shoes I've ever owned. I've put a lot of milage on them at this point and plan on using them for some time to come. I made a leap of faith here buying the zero drop shoes and just hoping that things would feel good. After using them for many many runs at this point I feel safe saying these shoes give me the most natural feeling runs I've ever had. These shoes just seem to provide the extra support needed to run on concrete/pavement while allowing my feet to do what they do naturally without over correction for pronation or other things that are not actually issues to begin with. I'll only be buying zero drop shoes like this from now on.
on February 22, 2014
I have been running in minimalist shoes for the past 3 years or so. I really enjoy the increased proprioception and better biomechanics that this style of running shoe affords. I have three pairs of minimalist shoes that have only a few millimeters of rubber between your foot and the ground but I have been looking for a shoe that I could use on longer or faster runs without it changing up the biomechanics I have established. I have tried a number of running shoes to fill this void and I have been unhappy with most: a pair of asics gel nimbus and a pair of brooks pure cadence; neither of which I used for more than a couple runs. I bought a pair of saucony kinvara 2s a couple years ago and they became my go to shoe for marathons and some of my longer or faster runs. I really enjoyed those shoes but I was looking for something more minimalistic and arrived at the virratas. These are a great pair of shoes to have in your arsenal and were everything I was looking for. I can run marathon distance and move at a nice pace without feeling like the shoe is any sort of a hindrance. It allows for smooth proper biomechanics, in part because of the zero drop principal which makes it easier to strike midfoot or forefoot than most running shoes allow. If you are looking for a shoe for the same reasons I would highly suggest the virratas.
on May 29, 2014
I was really nervous about switching shoes. I'm always nervous about switching shoes. I'm 5'8", 145 lbs, neutral foot strike with high arches. I've been running in Kinvara's for several years. Before Kinvara's I was in Triumph's for several years. I've been gradually progressing to more minimal shoes with lower heal drops. I found the Virrata because I was just looking for a cheaper price for Kinvara's and stumbled on them. They were around $45 while Kinvara's normally ran $65 to $75. I decided to give them a try.

I've been running in them for five weeks and I've put 168 miles on them with absolutely no problems. In fact I like them better than my Kinvara's which I thought were great. My runs have included interval training, tempo runs and long runs up to 17 miles. I've even done some single track trail runs in them. They are light and well cushioned and fit me better than my Kinvara's did in the midfoot and toe box. The Virrata's just feel a bit more roomy which works well for me.

If you are looking for a light, minimal, neutral, low to no heel drop shoe with good cushioning I think the Virrata is an excellent choice. And ya gotta like the price. Well done Saucony.
on May 8, 2014
I hope Saucony never discontinues these shoes. This was my 3rd pair.

I originally bought them because they were featured in Outdoor Magazine as a great ultralight shoe. I've taken these on 50+ mile backpacking trips, over mountains, through streams, down snow fields.... and all over town. And they're just amazing. Very breathable. Ultra lightweight.

The only down side is that because of the lightweight materials, the soles do wear out fairly quickly. Otherwise the build quality is fantastic. I've never gotten holes in the materials, it's the soles that wear down first.

Be aware that the sizing is a little smaller than usual. I normally wear a size 11, but for these shoes I have to wear an 11.5.
on October 6, 2013
These pair of Virratas are the lightest running shoes I've ever worn(compared to Kayano 18 and Adidas Marathon), yet protective enough during my road runs. I'm a moderate runner and I find these shoes to be comfortable and stylish at the same time. I will surely wear this on my Denver RnR 2013 1/2 marathon and the Arizona RnR in 2014.

Update: November 3, 2013.

Three half marathons later (not including training runs) and 111 miles in these shoes and they are still my choice for long runs. My legs don't feel fatigued after my long runs and my speed also seemed to improve. In regards to durability, they are holding quite well, with no signs of wear yet. I noticed, in the first five minutes of each of my runs, some heel discomfort; but this eventually goes away. Overall, I am happy with this purchase.
on January 9, 2014
These are really great shoes. If you like the Kinvaras, you will most likely like these as well. They are zero drop, so if you are not used to that you may want to take it easy and just do short runs in these to start with lots of calf/achilles stretching in between. You can definitely hurt yourself if you are not used to the low drop. The great thing about these shoes is they have a ton of forefoot cushioning, but are still extremely flexible and very light weight. Not the most roomy toebox, but I didn't have any issues. There is no carbon rubber on the sole, so these probably won't last a lot of miles depending on how you run. I only have about 30 miles on them at this point and the bottom basically looks brand new. These are basically zero drop, lighter weight, more fliexible kinvaras. One of my favorite shoes. I would not run in them every day though as I just need more support from time to time, particularly if I'm already beat up and tired.
on August 4, 2013
I've been using three different Saucony models for training, all of them in the range 220 to 240 grams per shoe. I've been using New Balance Minimus (about 185 grams) for racing 10K and shorter. When I saw these shoes I was hoping to get a lighter version of the Sauconys I use for training.

They were exactly that but at 180 grams per shoe. Compared to the Minimus the Virrate feel like a road training shoe in terms of cushioning. With the Minimus you feel the irregularities of the road and there's essentially no cushioning. Somehow Saucony managed to get to 180 grams but also provide the cushioning and stability I like in the other Saucony models I use.

They are zero drop so be careful to ramp up slowly for that if you are not used to it but this is likely the easiest and safest way to get there.

Highly recommend.
on June 2, 2014
I am normally a size 12, but in these shoes I'm a 12.5.

I love zero-drop footwear, but I cannot wear pure barefoot shoes due to bone damage in my feet. These shoes provide excellent cushioning and are comfortable for both runs and very long walks. They wear through quickly due to the foam sole and minimal hard-rubber, however, that is an expected sacrifice given the level of cushioning.

I say "nearly" zero drop since the way the cushioning is added, the toes have less thick of a sole beneath them, even though the balls of the feet and the heel are even. This is minimally noticeable when standing & walking, however, this is not at all noticeable for running.

These are without question my favorite running shoes.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.