Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on May 21, 2015
There are very few films which stars Julianne Moore that I don't like. This was one of them. Her performances are always good and she submerses herself in each role that she takes on but this one was odd. The characters lived in the world of high society, which they were either born or wed into, that allowed them to skate across a pond of superficiality and unwarranted self importance. The film took me into that world and showed me how boring it is. The ending did not surprise or astound me. It was slow moving and I found myself wiggling in my seat hoping that it would end soon. This film is based on a true story about the lazy money sucking bloodline of the inventor of Bake-lite. I would much rather have seen a movie about him!
2 people found this helpful
on January 8, 2016
This is an interesting story but seemed to be made in a cheesy way from the technical standpoint. Music was way too loud; overshadowed the actors and scenes. There appears to be some debate about whether some scenes were true; but the overall story is true and interesting. The bottom line is that this was one rich, dysfunctional family that got more dysfunctional over time.
on March 6, 2018
I didn't mind the subject matter (it contains incest scenes), but the movie was long and tedious.
on June 24, 2017
Hard to make this material boring, but somehow the writers and director managed it. Their technique is as tissue thin as the self-esteem of the characters in the story. It gets two stars only because 1) the actors deal admirably with what they do have to work with, and 2) the costumes are GORGEOUS.
on September 6, 2014
Incestuous folie a deux- not the feel-good movie of the year... the ending reminded me of "Sid & Nancy" in that it conveyed claustrophobic dysfunction and sickness a little too well. Two people glued together by intertwined pathology that feels like love to them and they're shut into their own world. Makes you feel icky,then makes you grateful for normality, even when it's dull. There's one scene where you wonder "are they going to play out this whole incident in real time? Do I really need to see all this?" But then you realize that it puts the viewer right in the mode and feeling of their sickness and is very effective.

You have to really be curious about dark psychology and the dysfunction of the ultra-rich to watch this film. Since I am, I found this riveting, but I think most people will find it stomach-turning and pointless if you're not interested in true crime. This motivated me to get the book; if you're the type fascinated by Truman Capote and his circle of "swans", you will want to as well. It's like Gatsby on heroin or something... good, but gnarly and not exactly life-affirming.

Moore is amazing; and the real Barbara Baeklund was a striking redhead, too, so it works visually also. There are some odd bits of acting, which may or may not be accurate, by various characters. Perhaps these "cafe Society" types were this stilted and contrived, it's plausible. Hard to judge...

This is a memorable depiction of a surreal family tragedy. Now that I'm reading the book, I'd say they condensed it well, certain details are altered,yet it's true in spirit to the story. I recommend this with the above cautions for the right audience.
2 people found this helpful
on December 2, 2016
could have been a rip roaring story of nutty rich people. but kinda dragged into lingering artsy shots. Great performances though.
on May 9, 2016
If I didn't know the story of this family, I would have had no clue what was going on in this movie.
One person found this helpful
on June 18, 2017
This is a ​well made professional movie with good acting. Worth watching.
on June 23, 2016
I am an Eddie Redmayne fan and I had seen it before but I didn't quite remember Julianne Moore being so evil,
on April 2, 2017
Ok movie a little disturbing for me.