Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Magazine Deals Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals Prime member deal on Amazon Video: 50% off select Pixar movie rentals  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 29, 2015
Everyone with a child in school NEEDS to be aware of the differences in education that exist in the US. Only when we look with open eyes into the tragic abyss, may we become ready to sacrifice in order to change. Two teachers I know were influenced to teach in integrated schools because of this book. It is depressing, real, and also inspiring.
on October 19, 2013
I bought the book for an Urban Education class. It was a good read and recommend it for those not educated on urban education. It gives first hand accounts of schools that no one would want their child going to. It also gives accounts of good schools in similar areas. Truly eye opening to third world environments within the U.S.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on October 11, 2013
I am in a social determinants of health class for nursing school and this book was on a list of books I could choose from to do a book report. What a fantastic read! It is well written, descriptive, articulate, and painful. What a horrible state of affairs for some of these schools. I would like to see if any improvements have been made since this book was written. I am so grateful to people that do this kind of research and make this kind of effort to let the world know what is going on in our towns.
on September 19, 2017
Very informative for the time period. Would love to see an update on the current conditions of schools in these same cities.
on September 24, 2016
This is an excellent book - I wish I had the WHOLE book. Mine skipped from 50 to 227 and then eventually came back at page 80.
review image
on July 19, 2017
on September 14, 2017
As expected.
on May 6, 2016
This is oh so very true.....wish we could do more about this situation! Wish there was more research on this also! More continuation, more documentation is needed.....you would think more legal followup is needed!
on February 24, 2017
a chilling, true story that touched my heart of compassion and sounded a call for change that will not quiet with the closing of the book.
on January 6, 2007
This book was a real eye-opener, exposing the wretched conditions of inner-city schools in America. I think it should be required reading for every person in this country, because it is an issue that receives little if any attention. I would never have known how bad the system is for some cities without reading this book.

Kozol is an appropriate author, detailing specific trips he has taken to inner city schools to directly observe the state of their schools in comparison to the affluent suburbs.

My only critique is that after awhile, the stories all seem to sound the same, but it just emphasizes how widespread this problem is and that something must be done about it.