Other Sellers on Amazon
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
+ Free Shipping
Sawyer Products Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
- Enter your model number to make sure this fits.
- Effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus
- Insect-killing repellent for your clothing is effective against ticks, chiggers, mites and mosquitoes; as effective as 100 percent DEET
- Lasts up to 6 weeks (or 6 washings); will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or outdoor gear
- Odorless after drying; ideal for use while hunting
- 12-ounce capacity treats up to 2 complete outfits; non-aerosol pump bottle; color of bottle may vary
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the manufacturer
Permethrin-treated clothing and outdoor gear is your first line of defense against insects.
Since 1984, Sawyer Products has offered one of the best, most technologically advanced solutions for protection against sun, bugs, water, and injuries -- everything from first aid kits developed for wilderness to point-of-use water filters that filter contaminated water to levels cleaner than U.S. bottled water.
Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent
Effective against mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, and mites for up to 6 weeks
For use on clothing, tents, sleeping bags, and other outdoor gear, Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent not only repels insects, it actually kill mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other kinds of insects on contact. Odorless after drying, Permethrin will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or any of your gear.
Use Permethrin on clothing by itself or with skin-applied repellents to create the ultimate protective, armor-like insect barrier. The synthetic version of pyrethrum (a natural insecticide derived from the chrysanthemum flower), Permethrin is non-toxic and registered for use by the U.S. EPA. Sawyer Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent has been exclusively treating uniforms for the U.S. and Canadian militaries for almost 30 years.
- Effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus.
- Single application lasts up to 42 days of sun exposure, or 6 washings.
- 24-ounce pump spray treats up to 4 complete outfits.
- 12-ounce pump spray treats up to 2 complete outfits.
- 9-ounce aerosol spray treats 1 complete outfit.
- A complete outfit consists of a shirt, pants, and pair of socks, and each garment needs 3 ounces of Permethrin to be effective.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Does Permethrin Work?
Unlike topical insect repellents applied to the skin, Permethrin is applied to clothing and outdoor gear material, bonding to the fabric fibers for up to 6 weeks (42 days) or 6 washings. When a tick, mosquito, or other insect comes into contact with Permethrin, it absorbs a dose that will either repel or kill the insect. Applied to clothing, tents, outdoor furniture, or sleeping bags, Permethrin is very effective at reducing the mosquito population in your camping area and keeping ticks from attaching to you.
Sawyer Permethrin uses the same active ingredient found in hair shampoos for head lice. However, because your skin breaks down Permethrin within fifteen minutes of contact, it's not useful as a personal protection insect repellent when applied to the skin.
Permethrin-treated clothing and fabric should be your first line of defense, and it can be used in conjunction with a topical skin-based repellent such as Sawyer's Picaridin, Maxi Deet, and Ultra30 products.
What Can I Treat with Permethrin?
In addition to clothing and accessories like hats and waders, Sawyer Permethrin Insect Repellent is ideal for treating backpacks, tents, camp furniture, hammocks, mosquito netting, luggage, and even bed sheets. Since mosquitoes are better hoppers than flyers, adding more Permethrin-treated landing surfaces around you will improve your protection.
Unlike DEET, which may harm some fabrics and materials, Permethrin is compatible for use even on fragile fabrics such as silk, plus all synthetics and waterproof membrane fabrics (won't affect plastics or finishes).
While Permethrin is safe and compatible with almost all fabrics, it has an easier time bonding to soft fabrics like cottons, wools, and synthetic blends. It will have a harder time bonding to fabrics with tighter woven fibers like rain flies and waterproof shells. Sweating and exposure to water will not significantly deteriorate the Permethrin application, but washing machine agitation deteriorates the application by knocking the molecules loose from the fabric.
Permethrin Tips and Tricks
- For optimal protection, apply a topical repellent to exposed skin.
- Hand wash and air dry to preserve the application. If using a washing machine, select gentle wash and dry cycles.
- Store garments in dark plastic bags between uses to help preserve application.
- For luggage, spray inside your bags when you travel to avoid transporting insects back home.
- Permethrin safely bonds with dog's hair to provide protection from ticks and insects for up to 2 weeks.
- Do not expose cats to wet Permethrin (can affect central nervous system; dried Permethrin-treated fabric has no effect).
How Do I Apply Permethrin Safely?
Sawyer recommends that you treat clothing and gear with Permethrin outdoors in a well ventilated area. If the treatment is accidentally carried out indoors, no adverse health effects are expected based upon calculations of inhaled dose. However, individuals with breathing problems, such as asthma, may be at greater risk. The odor arising from treating fabric with Permethrin is mostly from the aerosol propellants rather than from the insect repellent itself.
To apply, lightly moisten the fabric of the garment with a slow sweeping motion, keeping the bottle about 6 to 8 inches away and treating each side of the garment for about 30 seconds. Sawyer Permethrin should not be added to a washing machine for treatment — it should be sprayed directly onto clothing and gear.
Full Range of Insect Repellents
Sawyer insect repellents offer superior protection from disease-carrying insects, including the yellow fever mosquito that carries the Zika Virus. Check out Sawyer's range of insect repellents — from topical lotions and sprays to apply to your skin to Permethrin spray for applying to clothing and outdoor gear.
|Picaridin||Maxi-DEET||Ultra30 Liposome / DEET||Premium Controlled Release||Permethrin|
|Usage||Topical (Skin)||Topical (Skin & Clothing)||Topical (Skin)||Topical (Skin)||Clothing, Tents, and Gear|
|Active Ingredient||20% Picaridin||98% DEET||30% DEET||20% DEET||0.5% Permethrin|
|Application Formats||Spray Pump, Spray & Lotion||Spray Pump & Spray||Lotion||Lotion||Spray Pump & Aerosol|
|Mosquito & Tick Protection||Up to 14 hours (lotion); up to 12 hours (spray)||Up to 10 hours||Up to 11 hours||Up to 11 hours||Up to 6 weeks sprayed on clothing (or 6 washings)|
|Protection from Other Insects||Biting flies, stable flies, black flies, sand flies, gnats, and chiggers||Chiggers, fleas, and gnats||Flies||Chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other kinds of insects|
|Great for Areas of High Bug Density||✓|
|Great for Hunting & Fishing||✓||✓||✓|
|Great for the Whole Family||✓||✓|
|Complete Clothing Protection||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||✓|
|Mini Water Filter||PointOne Water Filter||Water Bottle Filter||Squeezable Pouches||Stay-Put Sunblock||B4 Extractor|
|More outdoor products from Sawyer, including water filters, sunscreen, and first aid||Compact filter fits in the palm of your hand, attches to drinking pouch, bottle & more||Highest level of filtration on market, available in personal, all-in-one & hydration pack kits||Durable 34-ounce BPA free water bottle with inline filter||Replacement pouches for Mini and PointOne squeeze filters||Available in SPF 30 and SPF 50 formulas; penetrates where other sunblocks can't reach||Reusable vacuum pump for for snake bites, bee/wasp stings & more|
|Item Dimensions||9 x 2.5 x 3.5 inches|
|Item Display Weight||0.75 pounds|
|Item Weight||0.75 pounds|
|Shipping Weight||1.06 pounds|
Compare to similar items
This item Sawyer Products SP649 Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray, 12-Ounce
|Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping||FREE Shipping|
|Sold By||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||Amazon.com||ADC Management||Amazon.com|
|Item Dimensions||2.5 x 3.5 x 9 in||2.31 x 5.05 x 10.12 in||5.25 x 2.25 x 11.25 in||2.1 x 2.1 x 7 in||8.4 x 10.2 x 3.6 in||2.5 x 4.5 x 1.5 in|
|Item Weight||0.75 lb||2 lbs||2.25 lbs||0.54 lb||3.65 lbs||2.4 ounces|
|Size||12-Ounce||One Quart||1 Quart||Case Pack of 1||—||1 Pack|
For use on clothing, tents, and other gear, Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent not only repels insects, it actually kill ticks, mosquitoes, chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other kinds of insects on contact. It is effective against the Aedes Aegypti (Yellow Fever Mosquito), which can transmit the Zika Virus.
Permethrin is odorless after drying and will not stain or damage clothing, fabrics, plastics, finished surfaces, or any of your outdoor gear. Use it while hunting for an odorless way to protect yourself from common bugs. The active ingredient Permethrin is a synthetic molecule similar to pyrethrum which is taken from the Chrysanthemum flower.
A single application lasts up to six washings or up to 40 days of sun exposure. Repellent should be applied outdoors and before clothing is worn; after it’s treated, hang clothing and let dry 2 hours (4 hours in humid conditions).
Sawyer Premium Permethrin is available in 12- and 24-ounce trigger spray bottles and as a 9-ounce aerosol spray. It's also available in several bundles, including:
- Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin lotion and spray (also effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito)
- Sawyer Premium Controlled Release Insect Repellent lotion (a family-friendly formula with 20% DEET that lasts up to 11 hours)
Since 1984, Sawyer Products has offered the best, most technologically advanced solutions for protection against sun, bugs, water, and injuries -- everything from first aid kits developed for wilderness to point-of-use water filters that filter contaminated water to levels cleaner than U.S. bottled water.
Style: 12-Oz Pump Spray
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
I am very happy to say that everything that I did worked -- I got very few bites, and I didn't even notice them until I searched for them. Everyone else in our group got plenty of bites, and they were itching like crazy, but not me!!!
Here is what I did and what I brought:
1. I have a Peruvian friend who is a doctor. He told me to take Vitamin B complex every day for a week before the trip and every day in the jungle. I used these: Nature Made Super B Complex Tablets, Value Size, 360 Count
2. I bought two bottles of this Permethrin spray and very carefully sprayed ALL of my clothing, carefully following the directions on the bottle. I sprayed all of my clothing at home in my garage, and then packed it all in these giant ziploc bags: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, Large, 5-Count (by the way, those bags were great for packing everything and really helped to keep things from getting too damp in the 100% humidity jungle!). I sprayed the three pairs of hiking pants I brought, three long-sleeved shirts, all of my thick hiking socks, and my sunhat (both sides). I put extra spray at all openings - pant cuffs, shirt cuffs, and shirt button seams.While there I always tucked my pants legs into my socks. The tour company had suggested wearing a cotton t-short under long-sleeved shirts because the mosquitoes bite through clothing, but I never did that; I didn't need to as I just didn't get bites through the Permethrin-sprayed clothing. This stuff really worked, as I did not get bites through my Permethrin-treated clothing!
3. I took the antihistamine Loratidine (generic for Claritin, this one: GoodSense Allergy Relief Loratadine Tablets, 10 mg, 30 Count Bottle) as a prophylactic every morning, to prevent my strong reaction to bites. This worked GREAT -- I did get a few bites, as I could see the tiny red dots, but I didn't feel anything at all from them! I took only enough for the days that I was in the jungle. In the two days in Cusco before returning to the US I started itching a little on a couple of bites. In hindsight I should have taken a few extra tablets to take in the next few days after the trip. (Another hint - some people get drowsy on this stuff; I tested it first at home before going on my trip. There are other OTC non-drowsy antihistamines you can try if this doesn't work, like the generic for Zyrtec.)
4. I bought DEET. In my paranoia about insect bites and my prior reaction to them, I bought several different versions of DEET -- spray, wipes, and lotion, but I used only this spray, and only three times: Repel 94101 6-Ounce Sportsmen Max Insect Repellent 40-Percent DEET Pump Spray, Case Pack of 1. That bottle is plenty for lots of people; to minimize weight and volume in your pack you might even want to put it into a smaller travel-sized spray bottle. I sprayed the backs of my hands, and then wiped from the backs of my hands onto my neck, cheeks, and forehead.
5. I had a mosquito head net that I purchased many years ago. Amazon has others but not the one that I have, so I can't give a link. I used this only two or three times when the mosquitos were especially thick. I had sprayed this also with Permethrin before leaving home.
6. I also brought with me an over the counter anti-itch creme (hydrocortisone), and a prescription-strength anti-itch creme (Clobetisol). I never used either one!!!!! But my travelling partners sure were happy that I had it so they could use it! I also had Sting Eze (StingEze Max2 Insect Bite Itch Relief Dauber, 0.5-Ounce), but this too I never needed, and my travelling friends were very happy to use.
I worried a LOT before the trip about getting mosquito bites and my reaction to them. Really worried. I questioned my sanity for going! But with this Permethrin spray and everything else I did to prep, I had NO problems with mosquitos and I was able to totally enjoy the trip!!!!
Most recent customer reviews
While camping spiders inundated our space between tent and fly.Read more