Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 2,387 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,530 reviews
on June 1, 2016
I just came back from a nine-day trip deep into the Peruvian jungle -- into the reserve part of Manu National Park. It was an incredible journey! Fantastic nature, and incredibly isolated and pristine (an area never disturbed, and still inhabited by non-contacted peoples). But ahead of time I was extremely nervous about mosquito bites, because twice in the last ten years or so I have been to the emergency clinic with dozens of bug bites and a very strong allergic reaction to them. I practically obsessed over what to do to prevent mosquito bites as much as possible, because I have had such a strong reaction to bug bites, and the jungle is certainly full of mosquitos and other biting insects!.

I am very happy to say that everything that I did worked -- I got very few bites, and I didn't even notice them until I searched for them. Everyone else in our group got plenty of bites, and they were itching like crazy, but not me!!!

Here is what I did and what I brought:

1. I have a Peruvian friend who is a doctor. He told me to take Vitamin B complex every day for a week before the trip and every day in the jungle. I used these: Nature Made Super B Complex Tablets, Value Size, 360 Count

2. I bought two bottles of this Permethrin spray and very carefully sprayed ALL of my clothing, carefully following the directions on the bottle. I sprayed all of my clothing at home in my garage, and then packed it all in these giant ziploc bags: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, Large, 5-Count (by the way, those bags were great for packing everything and really helped to keep things from getting too damp in the 100% humidity jungle!). I sprayed the three pairs of hiking pants I brought, three long-sleeved shirts, all of my thick hiking socks, and my sunhat (both sides). I put extra spray at all openings - pant cuffs, shirt cuffs, and shirt button seams.While there I always tucked my pants legs into my socks. The tour company had suggested wearing a cotton t-short under long-sleeved shirts because the mosquitoes bite through clothing, but I never did that; I didn't need to as I just didn't get bites through the Permethrin-sprayed clothing. This stuff really worked, as I did not get bites through my Permethrin-treated clothing!

3. I took the antihistamine Loratidine (generic for Claritin, this one: GoodSense Allergy Relief Loratadine Tablets, 10 mg, 30 Count Bottle) as a prophylactic every morning, to prevent my strong reaction to bites. This worked GREAT -- I did get a few bites, as I could see the tiny red dots, but I didn't feel anything at all from them! I took only enough for the days that I was in the jungle. In the two days in Cusco before returning to the US I started itching a little on a couple of bites. In hindsight I should have taken a few extra tablets to take in the next few days after the trip. (Another hint - some people get drowsy on this stuff; I tested it first at home before going on my trip. There are other OTC non-drowsy antihistamines you can try if this doesn't work, like the generic for Zyrtec.)

4. I bought DEET. In my paranoia about insect bites and my prior reaction to them, I bought several different versions of DEET -- spray, wipes, and lotion, but I used only this spray, and only three times: Repel 94101 6-Ounce Sportsmen Max Insect Repellent 40-Percent DEET Pump Spray, Case Pack of 1. That bottle is plenty for lots of people; to minimize weight and volume in your pack you might even want to put it into a smaller travel-sized spray bottle. I sprayed the backs of my hands, and then wiped from the backs of my hands onto my neck, cheeks, and forehead.

5. I had a mosquito head net that I purchased many years ago. Amazon has others but not the one that I have, so I can't give a link. I used this only two or three times when the mosquitos were especially thick. I had sprayed this also with Permethrin before leaving home.

6. I also brought with me an over the counter anti-itch creme (hydrocortisone), and a prescription-strength anti-itch creme (Clobetisol). I never used either one!!!!! But my travelling partners sure were happy that I had it so they could use it! I also had Sting Eze (StingEze Max2 Insect Bite Itch Relief Dauber, 0.5-Ounce), but this too I never needed, and my travelling friends were very happy to use.

I worried a LOT before the trip about getting mosquito bites and my reaction to them. Really worried. I questioned my sanity for going! But with this Permethrin spray and everything else I did to prep, I had NO problems with mosquitos and I was able to totally enjoy the trip!!!!
22 comments| 131 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 17, 2016
Nearly two years ago, I got Lyme disease. It took such a long time to diagnose, I was left with permanent damage. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone. When I realized what was causing all my misery, I got very scared about my sons or my husband getting bitten by ticks. They camp often and hike in the mountains near us. They are outside most days, and knowing that I was bitten by a tick in that same area, I started researching the best insect sprays I could find. I came across this and bought it based on the reviews. I make sure my sons ALWAYS have this sprayed on the legs of their jeans when they go into the mountains, and it's been sprayed on their tent, too. The spray is nice, much nicer than the aerosol ones that spray all over and half of it is blown away by the breeze. This stuff sticks to the clothes and stays there. It doesn't stain, doesn't smell, and the most important part is that it works. I haven't seen a single tick (or any bug) on them since they've been using this spray. I still make sure they check themselves over each night for ticks, but this gives me peace of mind. Believe me when I say, Lyme is a nasty, horrible disease to have, and you don't want it! This seems to be the best defense I can find to prevent ticks and still let my kids enjoy the outdoors.
on October 14, 2016
Considering how diluted the bottle is, there is a heafty premium on this product. You could get a life time supply of permethrin for maybe 30$. The bottle I have is good for maybe 2 outfits? I have this only for a bug out situation so I can spray down my two outfits once I hit the woods. This bottle may look like a lot, but you use like 3 oz per clothing piece, which is basically soaking it. This stuff won't kill bugs, but they will try to get off sprayed clothing as soon as they make contact with it. Beware that some of the dog-tick species has developed an immunity to this stuff, so if that's a problem in your area maybe look for an alternative. Don't spray near/your cat with this or it will die; the dried solution won't affect your cat. The concentration in this bottle shouldn't affect people, even after wearing previously soaked clothes I hear people complain about the nozzle on this bottle, fortunately mine was great (I tested with water first). My bottle didn't leak in the package either like some reviews mentioned.
on July 28, 2015
I love gardening and yard work. Because I do organic gardening so naturally there's a lot of bugs in the yard. On a good summer day, I can be blessed with a dozen bug bites which takes months to fully go away. Most summer nights I have to take Benadryl in order to go to sleep because the insect bites are so bad. Tried all kinds of products including Off, and every other so called non-toxic insect repellents. Nothing worked. Finally decided to try this. It's been a few weeks since I started using Sawyer Permethrin spray. And the first time in decades I go to bed without new bug bites.

What I did was to spray on my gardening outfit. Whenever I go to the yard, put on the sprayed outfit. When I come back in, I change back to my regular cloth so I can hug my cat without worrying he licks me all over. I have a few shirts which I sprayed and wear over my regular t-shirt. What I found is as long as I spray densely woven shirts and long pants, paying special attention to the collar, cuffs, bottom and hems, then they work great. I tried to spray a loosely woven sheer sucker summer shirt, and found it not very effective. Short sleeve t-shirt and shorts also did not work that well because bugs still managed to get in from the wide openings. The over-shirts remain effective for a few weeks. t-shirts that go through laundry after every wear will need re-application. It's only been a month so I haven't figured out how long a bottle will last yet.

Sawyer Permethrin spray works so well, I wish it comes in concentrates for refilling. But I purchased Permethrin concentrate (another brand) which I will dilute and refill this bottle in case I can not get the next bottle of Sawyer in time. Now that I know about this life saver, I never want to be without it.
on May 29, 2016
I love this stuff. My first time using was on a week long survival trip in the deserts of Utah. Several in the party and I was the only one to use this product. I was also the only one who did not have biting flies landing on him on day two.

I recently used the product for an African trip and had no issues with mosquito's. Some in our party used it and got bit anyway. I believe there are to tips that I can share for my success in this product. One is to wash your clothes and allow the washer to spin dry. Spray the clothes while they are damp. This allows the solution to spread across the cloth and not leave unprotected "zebra striped" areas. The second tip is to be generous. Many people tend to mist the clothing but you want to be generous with the solution and soak it down.

My thoughts for a future application is to actually pour the solution in a bin and dip the clothing, wringing them out and hanging them to dry.
on April 4, 2017
I love this stuff. I always make sure I'm fully stocked on it about a week before I camp, that way I have enough to spray on my clothes and gear a day or two before I go out. I've also never had an issue with the spray bottle; I don't understand why there are negative reviews about having a tough time actually using the bottle. It's a typical plastic spray bottle holding this Permethrin chemical that is amazing against bugs, odorless, and is ultra effective while dried on your gear. Even if the spray bottle wasn't working, I'd find another way to put it on. And it will still work just as great as if you sprayed it on.
on June 9, 2015
I was working on a particularly tick friendly construction site where workers were regularly finding ticks on them or embedded in them. I decided I want to do all I could to prevent that from happening so I purchased this product to try. I can't say if it is dumb luck, the product working flawlessly or a combination of the two but I have only found one tick on my treated clothes since I started using it. And in fairness, I was close the number of washes it says it is good for (6 washes or 6 weeks) and it was still on the outside of the bottom of my pants. With those results and knowing the tick friendly environment I used it, I would recommend this to anyone looking to be proactive in tick prevention. I hate those nasty little things.
on December 15, 2011
2011 Pennsylvania deer season was unseasonably warm. The first week and a half had high's in the mid 50's. The ticks were extremely active. I treated all my hunting clothes with the Sawyer Premium repellent. My brother who hunted the same property, did not treat his clothes. In the first 3 days my brother picked over 100 ticks off his clothes. Myself on the other hand, did not find a single tick on any of my clothes the entire season. The ticks simply would not attach themselves to my clothes.

One day at lunchtime we were both back at our vehicles and he was picking ticks off his pants. I scraped one off his pantleg and while sitting down, placed it on my thigh to see what would happen. The tick crawled around in a circle for about 20 seconds then promptly flipped on it's back and died.

He was so impressed with the product, he purchased a bottle that evening, treated his clothes, and for the remainder of the season, he found no more ticks on his clothes.
55 comments| 467 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2014
I have used this product for years and agree with all the positive reviews as to its effectiveness, lack of odor etc.
I had previously used the aerosol cans which may not be the most economical way to apply the product but allow you to do so evenly over all surfaces.
The trigger "spray" is not a spray, but a stream. Unlike most spray nozzles, you cannot switch from stream to spray - just off to full stream.
This makes it quite awkward and messy to apply and impossible to evenly distribute. Further, if you treat clothing hanging vertically, the liquid tends to runs down.
I can see no advantage to a stream vs spray dispenser for this product and, indeed the name is misleading.
For those who have not used this product before or those like me who might consider switching to the bottle from the aerosol, you might want to be aware of the difference and decide if it is worth the savings.
I want to emphasize that the 3 star rating is for the dispenser and not the product!
on December 18, 2013
I dumped 2 of these in a 5 gallon bucket and mixed it the way they require
I put rubber gloves on
I put clean clothes in, starting with whites and working to darks
soak one article at a time,making sure it is thoroughly wet, wring out as much water as possible, back into same bucket of mixture, hang it to dry
(and I did this in my garage so my animals didn't get near it ). Took about 4 days to air dry (October on OR coast)
I was able to do my whole entourage of clothing (about five outfits mix-and-match rayons,cottons, linens, cotton socks and underwear) in the mixture....used all but about a cup full....dumped left over down toilet.
Went to Central America ...hiked in lush, humid, forests, and stayed in homes in these lush places....got 2 mosquito bites in 12 days....my friend was eaten alive, with bug wipes, sprays, and bracelets .....you do the math....
I LOVE THE STUFF!!!
ALSO.... I am very sensitive to some chemicals. ..... I air-fluffed all of my clothing before the trip,to break them down a little bit, so that they were soft.(no dryer sheets) I did not rewash them, before use.
I wore some of these in very sweaty country and I never had any reaction to any chemicals.
These treated garments can be used after three or four washings and they still work. This stuff is great, and it doesn't hurt my skin.......love it!