Industrial Deals Beauty Magazine Deals Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Garnet Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now

on June 1, 2016
I just came back from a nine-day trip deep into the Peruvian jungle -- into the reserve part of Manu National Park. It was an incredible journey! Fantastic nature, and incredibly isolated and pristine (an area never disturbed, and still inhabited by non-contacted peoples). But ahead of time I was extremely nervous about mosquito bites, because twice in the last ten years or so I have been to the emergency clinic with dozens of bug bites and a very strong allergic reaction to them. I practically obsessed over what to do to prevent mosquito bites as much as possible, because I have had such a strong reaction to bug bites, and the jungle is certainly full of mosquitos and other biting insects!.

I am very happy to say that everything that I did worked -- I got very few bites, and I didn't even notice them until I searched for them. Everyone else in our group got plenty of bites, and they were itching like crazy, but not me!!!

Here is what I did and what I brought:

1. I have a Peruvian friend who is a doctor. He told me to take Vitamin B complex every day for a week before the trip and every day in the jungle. I used these: Nature Made Super B Complex Tablets, Value Size, 360 Count

2. I bought two bottles of this Permethrin spray and very carefully sprayed ALL of my clothing, carefully following the directions on the bottle. I sprayed all of my clothing at home in my garage, and then packed it all in these giant ziploc bags: Ziploc Big Bag Double Zipper, Large, 5-Count (by the way, those bags were great for packing everything and really helped to keep things from getting too damp in the 100% humidity jungle!). I sprayed the three pairs of hiking pants I brought, three long-sleeved shirts, all of my thick hiking socks, and my sunhat (both sides). I put extra spray at all openings - pant cuffs, shirt cuffs, and shirt button seams.While there I always tucked my pants legs into my socks. The tour company had suggested wearing a cotton t-short under long-sleeved shirts because the mosquitoes bite through clothing, but I never did that; I didn't need to as I just didn't get bites through the Permethrin-sprayed clothing. This stuff really worked, as I did not get bites through my Permethrin-treated clothing!

3. I took the antihistamine Loratidine (generic for Claritin, this one: GoodSense Allergy Relief Loratadine Tablets, 10 mg, 30 Count Bottle) as a prophylactic every morning, to prevent my strong reaction to bites. This worked GREAT -- I did get a few bites, as I could see the tiny red dots, but I didn't feel anything at all from them! I took only enough for the days that I was in the jungle. In the two days in Cusco before returning to the US I started itching a little on a couple of bites. In hindsight I should have taken a few extra tablets to take in the next few days after the trip. (Another hint - some people get drowsy on this stuff; I tested it first at home before going on my trip. There are other OTC non-drowsy antihistamines you can try if this doesn't work, like the generic for Zyrtec.)

4. I bought DEET. In my paranoia about insect bites and my prior reaction to them, I bought several different versions of DEET -- spray, wipes, and lotion, but I used only this spray, and only three times: Repel 94101 6-Ounce Sportsmen Max Insect Repellent 40-Percent DEET Pump Spray, Case Pack of 1. That bottle is plenty for lots of people; to minimize weight and volume in your pack you might even want to put it into a smaller travel-sized spray bottle. I sprayed the backs of my hands, and then wiped from the backs of my hands onto my neck, cheeks, and forehead.

5. I had a mosquito head net that I purchased many years ago. Amazon has others but not the one that I have, so I can't give a link. I used this only two or three times when the mosquitos were especially thick. I had sprayed this also with Permethrin before leaving home.

6. I also brought with me an over the counter anti-itch creme (hydrocortisone), and a prescription-strength anti-itch creme (Clobetisol). I never used either one!!!!! But my travelling partners sure were happy that I had it so they could use it! I also had Sting Eze (StingEze Max2 Insect Bite Itch Relief Dauber, 0.5-Ounce), but this too I never needed, and my travelling friends were very happy to use.

I worried a LOT before the trip about getting mosquito bites and my reaction to them. Really worried. I questioned my sanity for going! But with this Permethrin spray and everything else I did to prep, I had NO problems with mosquitos and I was able to totally enjoy the trip!!!!
1111 comments| 607 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 17, 2016
Nearly two years ago, I got Lyme disease. It took such a long time to diagnose, I was left with permanent damage. I wouldn't wish this experience on anyone. When I realized what was causing all my misery, I got very scared about my sons or my husband getting bitten by ticks. They camp often and hike in the mountains near us. They are outside most days, and knowing that I was bitten by a tick in that same area, I started researching the best insect sprays I could find. I came across this and bought it based on the reviews. I make sure my sons ALWAYS have this sprayed on the legs of their jeans when they go into the mountains, and it's been sprayed on their tent, too. The spray is nice, much nicer than the aerosol ones that spray all over and half of it is blown away by the breeze. This stuff sticks to the clothes and stays there. It doesn't stain, doesn't smell, and the most important part is that it works. I haven't seen a single tick (or any bug) on them since they've been using this spray. I still make sure they check themselves over each night for ticks, but this gives me peace of mind. Believe me when I say, Lyme is a nasty, horrible disease to have, and you don't want it! This seems to be the best defense I can find to prevent ticks and still let my kids enjoy the outdoors.
77 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 27, 2016
I hike with a wonderful lunatic in the New Jersey area who thinks nothing of it to take 3 or 4 "short cuts" through waist-deep, flowing, prickling, itching grass...places pretty much deemed tick central. I sprayed this stuff on my pack, pair of leggings, and hiking boots 2 weeks prior to my hike(everything but the tank top I was wearing) When it came time to exit tick land, (after trudging thru several of these spots each at least 15-minutes) all my hiking guys had ticks on them, one pulled about 7 off his legs...I had NOT ONE. I expected at least something on my shirt since it wasn't treated even though my backpack was, nada...not one freaking creepy tick. I am so beyond impressed with this stuff.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 5, 2018
Better safe than sorry! I was traveling to countries with malaria and my travel clinic doctor recommended this. She said it was all natural and can work even after a couple washes. It’s great, no odor when dry, and I did not get bit on areas where my clothes covered my skin. She said to apply bug repellent lotion on areas with exposed skin just in case. Make sure you spray the front and back of your outfits. This bottle is enough for 8 outfits which includes a shirt, pants, and socks to count as a full outfit. I had a lot of short sleeves so I was able to spray a couple more items after I had technically reached 8 outfits. There’s a bit of odor as your spraying but it didn’t bother me. The smell of the formula goes away after about 15 minutes. Once packed in your suitcase, you don’t even smell a thing.
on April 24, 2017
We live in NE PA and the ticks are HORRIBLE this year. Every time my husband would go out in the back yard or near our woods - he always came back with ticks. He's used this twice this year and NO ticks! Would highly recommend it. Not for use on animals - just your shoes and clothing.
0Comment| 75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on May 24, 2017
I've been using this for the past 4 years with outstanding results. Follow direction to treat clothes. I sprayed two thin hooded sweatshirts to wear while gardening. I wash them with cold water, gentle cycle and hang to dry, using just a tiny bit of soap. This allows the treatment to last a long time. No ticks attach to the treated clothing and I Garden every day in a heavily infested area. I also wear a headnet, treated beige pants, rubber boots, and gloves - all necessary where I live. This stuff is amazing.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on June 13, 2017
Product received is not as advertised. It was supposed to be a spray bottle and there is no sprayer. It also did not come in the package shown so I guess that's why there's no sprayer.
33 comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 21, 2017
I highly recommend pretreating items with this spray. Since pretreating my clothing, shoes, hat, socks I have been backpacking and hiking both on trail and off trail in densely wooded areas and high grass. I have yet to find any ticks on me from 4 different outings. On one outing I was walking in grass up to my waist for about an hour with another person - my clothing was treated and his wasn't. At the end of the day I found zero ticks on me and the other person found 5.

I'm sure that this spray is not a guarantee against finding ticks on yourself outdoors but it seems to be a very effective and strong deterrent to reduce the chances that you will have any. It is definitely worth the money and time to pretreat your items with.
on October 12, 2017
Worked great! I happily spent 37 years oblivious to chiggers. Then Bam! I got to enjoy them twice in a month. I did the pants in sock thing, but that didn't stop them getting in my shirt. Then I learned about permethrin. I treated my socks, pants, t-shirt, and undershirt. I even decided to leave the pants untucked. Not one bite! Then next week I went out and was not disturbed. I have a few more trips to the field. Hopefully it last for the six washes. I still have half the bottle for a second outfit.
on November 4, 2017
I used this product for a trip to Oaxaca where I would be in mosquito ridden, dusty, sandy, hot, humid places from 7 am to 7pm on a spay and neuter charity event encountering dogs and cats with fleas, ticks, etc. I used it for my clothes and each day I sprayed any exposed skin with another Sawyer Insect Repellent product - in 10 days I did not get bit once. I applied to my clothes outside away from people and pets, allowed the clothes to dry and was good to go - no color change or smell to my clothes.