Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Effectively repels mosquitos, Black flies and other flying, biting insects
- Reviewed by Consumer Reports as the Fisherman's Formula in its list of safe and effective insect repellents (February 2016)
- Long-lasting topical insect repellent with 20 percent Picaridin -- more effective at repelling biting flies than DEET
- Spray is effective up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks (14 hours for lotion); up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies
- Safe to use on the whole family; won't harm clothing, backpacks, fishing line, firearm finishes, watches, sunglasses, or other synthetic fabrics; color of bottle may vary
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
From the manufacturer
With a similar effect to DEET, Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent won’t harm gear and equipment.
Since 1984, Sawyer Products has offered one of the best, most technologically advanced solutions for protection against sun, bugs, water, and injuries -- everything from first aid kits developed for wilderness to point-of-use water filters that filter contaminated water to levels cleaner than U.S. bottled water.
Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent
Spray pump is gear safe and lasts for up to 12 hours
More effective at repelling biting flies than DEET, Sawyer Insect Repellent Spray is great for applying to skin as well clothing, outdoor gear, and more. It features a 20 percent Picaridin mixture, making it highly effective at deterring a wide array of insects, including mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and fleas.
Safe to use on the whole family, this long-lasting topical spray is effective for up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks, and for up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. The non-greasy spray has a pleasant low citrus odor that evaporates when dry, and it won't damage plastics or synthetic coatings.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Picaridin as Effective as DEET?
Picaridin is the perfect balance of efficacy, safety, and user-friendliness. It repels a wide variety of pests including mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, sand flies, gnats, chiggers, and midges. One of the longest lasting repellents available, it provides up to 12 hours of protection against mosquitoes and ticks (using the spray pump; up to 14 hours using the lotion), and up to 8 hours against a variety of flies, chiggers, and gnats. It’s non-greasy, has a pleasant low odor, and won’t damage plastics or synthetic coatings — making it an ideal topical repellent for the entire family.
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends the active ingredient Icaridin (which is how Picaridin is known around the world) as the product of choice for malaria prophylaxis. Icaridin is also considered to be the repellent of first choice by the Public Health Agency of Canada’s Canadian Advisory Committee on Tropical Medicine and Travel for travelers six months to 12 years of age.
Can I Wear a Repellent with a Sunscreen?
Yes. If you need both types of protection, we recommend using Sawyer Stay-Put Stay-Put Sunscreen Lotion. First apply the Stay-Put bonding base sunscreen, then apply the Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent after 10 minutes. The bonded sunscreen is less susceptible to the solvents contained in the repellent, including sprays if you use them.
Should I Use a Lotion or Spray Repellent?
Because of the way they slow down the evaporation of the insect repellent, lotions always last considerably longer than sprays. However, sprays have the advantage of being able to be applied to clothing, where the spray remains effective longer than on skin. Since repellents work as a 3-inch barrier, clothing applications can often protect 6 inches of exposed skin and significantly reduce your usage on skin. Sawyer recommends a combination of lotion on the skin and spray on clothing for optimal protection.
Available as Spray Pump and Lotion
- Spray pump available in 4-ounce, plus airline-friendly 3-ounce and 0.5-ounce sizes
- Also available as a 4-ounce lotion bottle
|Picaridin||Maxi DEET||Ultra30 Liposome / DEET||30% DEET||Premium Controlled Release||Permethrin|
|Usage||Topical (Skin)||Topical (Skin & Clothing)||Topical (Skin)||Topical (Skin & Clothing; cotton, wool, or nylon only)||Topical (Skin)||Clothing, Tents, and Gear|
|Active Ingredient||20% Picaridin||98% DEET||30% DEET||30% DEET||20% DEET||0.5% Permethrin|
|Application Formats||Spray Pump & Lotion||Spray Pump||Lotion||Aerosol Spray||Lotion||Spray Pump|
|Mosquito & Tick Protection||Up to 14 hours (lotion); up to 12 hours (spray)||Up to 10 hours||Up to 11 hours||Up to 10 hours||Up to 10 hours||Up to 6 weeks sprayed on clothing (or 6 washings)|
|Protection from Other Insects||Biting flies, stable flies, black flies, sand flies, gnats, and chiggers||Chiggers, fleas, and gnats||Flies||Chiggers and mites|
|Great for Areas of High Bug Density||✓|
|Great for Hunting & Fishing||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Great for the Whole Family||✓||✓|
|Complete Clothing Protection||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||✓|
More effective at repelling biting flies than DEET, Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent with 20 Percent Picaridin is also effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus. Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent was also reviewed by Consumer Reports as the Fisherman's Formula in its list of safe and effective insect repellents (February 2016).
Available as both a spray and lotion, Sawyer's Picaridin-based insect repellent is safe to use on the whole family, and it's great for applying to skin as well clothing, outdoor gear, and more. It offers effective protection against common disease carrying nuisances like mosquitoes and ticks, and Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent is also is effective at repelling biting flies, stable flies, black flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies.
The long-lasting topical spray with 20 percent Picaridin is effective for up to 12 hours against mosquitoes and ticks (14 hours for lotion), and and both provide up to 8 hours of protection against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies. The non-greasy spray and lotion have a pleasant low odor that evaporates when dry, and they won't damage plastics of synthetic coatings.
Sawyer Premium Insect Repellent is safe for use on clothing, backpacks, synthetic fabrics, watches, sunglasses, and more. It's available in a 4-ounce spray bottle, airline approved 3-ounce spray bottle, easily pocketable 0.5-ounce pen spray tube, and 4-ounce lotion bottle. Color of bottle may vary. Since 1984, Sawyer Products has offered one of the best, most technologically advanced solutions for protection against sun, bugs, water, and injuries.
- Item model number : Parent1
- Date First Available : November 15, 2011
- Manufacturer : Sawyer Products
- ASIN : B0078ZMVW0
- Customer Reviews:
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Regardless, when we had a little girl a few years back I have fretted because she attracts mosquitoes, but using DEET on a young child is a very bad idea. I was thrilled when I saw this product very positively reviewed ... better than DEET-based products, in fact.
So, I bought it, and we all use it, including my six-year old girl. She has been bite-free all summer when using the stuff, and on those occasions when the repellent has been forgotten her fate is much less positive. I use it as well, and am very pleased with the result.
Compared to DEET it is much less greasy, non-toxic, and has very little scent. I will be using this stuff for a long time to come
1) 3 oz pump spray was enough for 2 people, for a 6 day stay, with copious applications in the morning and evening. Added bonus of being small enough to put in carry on luggage.
2) Easy application: spray is awesome.
3) Is not greasy like DEET: DEET sprays tend to just leave a greasy, oily film that just slid off your skin at the hint of sweat. This worked great on top of sunscreen.
4) Strong chemical smell dissipated quickly.
5) Worked FANTASTICALLY against all kinds of bugs - especially the flies and the noseeums at the beach and lagoon areas. Friend who wore DEET still had flies buzzing all over her, while I was happily bug free.
6) Can apply to clothing without ruining them!
7) Less scary to use than 30%+ DEET sprays/wipes.
1) Though not greasy, it did tend to get sticky especially if you over-apply.
2) I developed a skin reaction to the spray (slight rash on arms), but that's probably because I kept reapplying when I didn't need to.
3) NOT water/sweat-resistant. I noticed that after wading through the waters at the beach, a few minutes when I got back onto land, skeeters were swarming my ankles.
4) Clothing application: needs to be reapplied (basically, I would spray my pants again when I would re-wear the following day.) I feel like the spray lost its effectiveness after several hours when sprayed on my pants (the bugs could and would bite through my nylon ripstops.)
In short: This is an awesome spray. I would buy it again (but use less obsessively.)
However if you're sweating it doesn't stay on so well, I can't really apply it before a hike and expect it to stay on for even a couple hours. You can supplement that with spraying it on your clothes, however I prefer Sawyer Premium Permethrin Clothing Insect Repellent Trigger Spray to spray my clothing and equipment. In combination with that and this in the evenings around the fire - it seems to work great to keep the mosquito bites down.