Sawyer Products Premium Insect Repellent with 20% Picaridin
- Make sure this fits by entering your model number.
- Effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus; 0.5-gallon lotion pump dispenser bottle
- Reviewed by Consumer Reports as the Fisherman's Formula in its list of safe and effective insect repellents (February 2016)
- Long-lasting topical insect repellent with 20 percent Picaridin -- more effective at repelling biting flies than DEET
- Lotion effective up to 14 hours against mosquitoes and ticks; up to 8 hours against biting flies, gnats, chiggers, and sand flies
- Safe to use on the whole family; won't harm clothing, backpacks, fishing line, firearm finishes, watches, sunglasses, or other synthetic fabrics
Frequently bought together
Customers also shopped for
Customers who bought this item also bought
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
From the manufacturer
With a similar effect to DEET, Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent won’t harm gear and equipment.
Sawyer Products offers advanced solutions for protection against sun, bugs, water, and injuries.
- Point-of-use water filters that filter contaminated water to levels cleaner than U.S. bottled water
- Wide arrary of insect repellents for use on skin, clothing, and gear
- First aid kits developed for wilderness
- Sunscreen engineered with Sawyer's Breathable Matrix Formula
Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent
Long lasting protection and gear safe
Safe to use on the whole family, Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent is highly effective at deterring a wide array of insects and is great for use on both skin and clothing.
- Lotion repels mosquitoes up to 14 hours; 8 hours for ticks, flies, gnats, chiggers, and fleas
- More effective at repelling biting flies than DEET
- Effective against the Yellow Fever Mosquito, which can transmit the Zika Virus
- Pleasant low citrus odor evaporates when dry
- Won't damage plastics or synthetic coatings
- Reviewed by Consumer Reports in list of safe and effective repellents (Fisherman's Formula, 2/16)
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Picaridin as Effective as DEET?
Picaridin is the perfect balance of efficacy, safety, and user-friendliness. It repels a wide variety of pests including mosquitoes, ticks, biting flies, sand flies, gnats, chiggers, and midges. One of the longest lasting repellents available, it provides up to 14 hours of protection against mosquitoes and ticks (using the lotion; up to 12 hours for spray models), and up to 8 hours against a variety of flies, chiggers, and gnats.
Is Picaridin Save for the Whole Family?
The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends the active ingredient Icaridin (which is how Picaridin is known around the world) as the product of choice for malaria prophylaxis.
Icaridin is considered the repellent of first choice by the Public Health Agency of Canada’s Canadian Advisory Committee on Tropical Medicine and Travel for travelers six months to 12 years of age.
Available as Lotion and Spray
- Lotion lasts up to 14 hours
- Comes in 2- and 4-ounce personal lotion bottles and individual lotion packets
- Also available in institutional-sized lotion pump dispensers
- Spray lasts up to 12 hours
- Available as a spray pump in 4-ounce, 3-ounce, and 0.5-ounce sizes, plus 6-ounce continuous spray
Can I Wear a Repellent with a Sunscreen?
Yes. If you need both types of protection, we recommend using Sawyer Stay-Put Stay-Put Sunscreen Lotion. First apply the Stay-Put bonding base sunscreen, then apply the Sawyer Picaridin Insect Repellent after 10 minutes. The bonded sunscreen is less susceptible to the solvents contained in the repellent, including sprays if you use them.
Should I Use a Lotion or Spray Repellent?
Lotions always last much longer than sprays (due to their slow evaporation), but sprays have the advantage of being able to be applied to clothing (where it remains effective longer than on skin).
Full Range of Insect Repellents
Check out Sawyer's range of insect repellents — from topical lotions and sprays to apply to your skin to Permethrin spray for applying to clothing and outdoor gear.
|Picaridin||Maxi-DEET||Ultra30 Liposome / DEET||Premium Controlled Release||Permethrin|
|Usage||Topical (Skin)||Topical (Skin & Clothing)||Topical (Skin)||Topical (Skin)||Clothing, Tents, and Gear|
|Active Ingredient||20% Picaridin||98% DEET||30% DEET||20% DEET||0.5% Permethrin|
|Application Formats||Spray Pump, Spray & Lotion||Spray Pump & Spray||Lotion||Lotion||Spray Pump & Aerosol|
|Mosquito & Tick Protection||Up to 14 hours (lotion); up to 12 hours (spray)||Up to 10 hours||Up to 11 hours||Up to 11 hours||Up to 6 weeks sprayed on clothing (or 6 washings)|
|Protection from Other Insects||Biting flies, stable flies, black flies, sand flies, gnats, and chiggers||Chiggers, fleas, and gnats||-||-||Chiggers, mites, and more than 55 other kinds of insects|
|Great for Areas of High Bug Density||-||✓||-||-||-|
|Great for Hunting & Fishing||✓||-||✓||-||✓|
|Great for the Whole Family||✓||-||-||✓||-|
|Complete Clothing Protection||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||Use with Permethrin||✓|
|MINI Water Filter||Squeeze Water Filter||Select S3 Purifier||Squeezable Pouches||Stay-Put Sunblock||Sting & Bite Extractor|
|More outdoor products from Sawyer, including water filters, sunscreen, and first aid||Compact filter fits in the palm of your hand, attches to drinking pouch, bottle & more||Versatile filter ensures access to clean water in the backcountry or anywhere in the world||Advanced water purification made easy; purifies water of viruses, heavy metals, chemicals, and more||Replacement pouches for MINI and Squeeze filters||Available in SPF 30 and SPF 50 formulas; engineered with Sawyer's Breathable Matrix Formula||Reusable vacuum pump for for snake bites, bee/wasp stings & more|