- File Size: 1179 KB
- Print Length: 92 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: AltWit Press (May 26, 2015)
- Publication Date: May 26, 2015
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00UYIGO0S
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#734,395 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #519 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths > Collections
- #998 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales & Folklore
- #1442 in Books > Teens > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales & Folklore
|Print List Price:||$6.99|
Save $6.00 (86%)
Scales: A Falling In Deep Collection Novella Kindle Edition
|Length: 92 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $1.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
|Age Level: 12 - 18|
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
Verona is a mer who is considered the lowest of the low in her culture. Labeled a bottom feeder and exiled from her home, she has to learn to fend for herself. She is left with a choice to either remain in exile or go live with the landwalkers, that she fears, for 30 days and gather useful information to be accepted back as a valued member of society. She gets help from unexpected sources in her fight to survive and she finds there is danger lurking around every coral when you are alone.
In the end, my greatest regret was that this story wasn’t anywhere near long enough. Novellas rarely are, but in this case, the story will be continued in a full length novel, Salt. Scales really is just the tip of this story, and I can’t wait to get my hands on the rest of it!
The story starts off with Verona being exiled from their community for being a bottomfeeder, the lowest member of their group. Her options are limited, but she will be killed if she stays. Her dilemma reminded me of something Albert Einstein said: “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” Verona isn’t struggling because she isn’t smart. She’s struggling because she was told she isn’t smart. This is something that I think every reader will be able to relate to, and I think following her journey will feel very empowering.
I loved the action and surprises that this book held. I liked how everyday life problems that we as humans go through was written into the life of a mermaid with a slight twist. As Pauline Creeden took me diving into the waters off of Bermuda she made this land walkers dream come true. As I love the water and to swim. I totally immersed myself and found a new love of the water. I am so looking forward to more from the land of Mer from Pauline Creeden in the near future.
Series: Scales #1
Category /Genre: N/A, Paranormal Romance
Recommended for: 12+ mature teens
Received from: Pauline Creedan (in exchange for an honest review)
Grammar/editing: ungraded – book received as an unedited ARC / errors excused
This is a prequel in a new series. They will need to be read in order.
I felt so bad for Verona (Her mother named for the city of Romeo and Juliet). She has been labeled as a bottom-feeder by her clan, meaning that she is not intelligent and/or too emotional. Because of this, she has been bullied since she was very young and is now subject to exile. To rejoin her clan, she would need to either spend a month on land returning with knowledge not yet known about the humans, or be claimed by a mer-man as his bride. Her father has filled her with fear of the land-walkers and it is very unlikely that anyone will claim a bottom-feeder. This leaves her with permanent exile as her only option, struggling between the fear of being discovered by the bullies, the sharks, or the humans.
Now, imagine yourself being put to a similar test based on who you were at say 15 or 16 years old. Released from home with nothing more than the shirt on your back. You have no survival skills, no money, nobody to turn to for comfort, entertainment, or protection. How long would you last? What would you do?
Though there were times that I was frustrated with Verona for not doing what I might do in the given situation, I was also filled with sympathy for her fears and trepidation. This isn’t my story, it’s hers. Her only respites are her visits with the wild horses of Chincoteague Island and stealthily watching soap operas through the back windows of Betty’s house.
There is not a cliff-hanger, but I was still angry when I came to the end of the book. I have a burning need to know what happens to Verona.
This is the first book that I have read from Pauline Creedan. I’m hoping I’m invited to read SALT when it’s ready.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
YOUNG ADULTS AND TEENAGERS. Once I started reading it it was tough to put it down .Read more
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Children's Books > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
- Books > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales & Folklore
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle Short Reads > Two hours or more (65-100 pages) > Teen & Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Children's eBooks > Fairy Tales, Folk Tales & Myths > Collections
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Mythology & Folk Tales
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Fairy Tales & Folklore