Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning LastTycoon LastTycoon LastTycoon  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 23 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 63 reviews
on August 17, 2014
I was gripped by this book and did not want to stop reading it until I was done. I read a lot of nonfiction, but seldom do finish them, even when I'm fascinated. So many things distract me, especially so many other books. But this book, difficult as it was, it was personal - like I was reading about my own extended family. It shed light on things that have been troubling me most of my life.
I had been wanting to read some church history for a while and have investigated a lot of the books available on amazon. This is the one I happened on though, by accident. Church history made personal.
I've read some complaints here that it's very hard to read - well it is kind of. I found it fascinating enough that I struggled through. Some things I probably missed - not sure if it was because of his lack of clarity or my own ineptitude. Would have appreciated a little more clarity early on in the book about what was meant by baconian science. This figured big in Noll's description of the evangelical mind - it wasn't until late in the book that I got a bit more clarity on what was meant by baconian science - still not sure I understand it 100%. I have enough experience with evangelicalism though, that I think I have a pretty good intuitive feel for what he was talking about.
Another thing I will say regarding how difficult the book is - he did dedicate it to the faculty and trustees of Wheaton College. Those were the people he wanted to have front row seats for this - the rest of us may have to struggle a bit. But it was fascinating and worth the struggle.
I have a list now of people and ideas mentioned that I want to do further reading on. It really was a good read.
I had Dr. Noll as a history professor many years back.
If evangelicalism is a part of your life and you want to do some thinking - this is a book for you - I think you'll like it.
on June 23, 2016
This is a good primer on the historical development of Christian thought. It gives you a sense of the key periods and influences. Consequently it is much easier to understand where we are today. Anyone looking for more understanding behind the key influences and developments will find this helpful. The writing has a bit too much rhetorical flourish and the meaning could have been conveyed more efficiently through better editing.
on June 24, 2013
Very good summary of the many problems inherent in the intellectual life of Evangelicalism. His contention that Evangelicals withdrew from mainstream post-secondary Education and set up their own "Separate but Equal" institutions that lost them their place at the table of ideas is particularly on target.
on October 2, 2013
As a non-fundamentalist, I appreciate Mr. Noll's chosen perspective, which is that of a fundamentalist. His appeal to critical reasoning and feeling is a breath of fresh air, and holds much promise for dialogue and for serious changes that must occur in fundamentalist traditions in the US. These practices are unsustainable, suicidal, and must be changed, while retaining that which is sustainable spiritually. morally, and socially-politically in Fundamentalism. Mr. Noll offers constructive insight and advice in this regard. I believe that it is voices such as his that can be most helpful in informing the millions of Americans who proudly identify as fundamentalist, but who are as yet unaware of themselves and their anti-religious and anti-Democracy beliefs.
Grad Student
on July 21, 2017
This book is a necessary read for any evangelical wondering what went wrong within the movement and why. "Faithful are the wounds of a friend". These criticisms come from one in the movement who hopes to help it right itself and put it on a faithful path forward.
on March 23, 2014
We are no longer taught to be clear thinkers. Our children are not taught how to think. This book is a fabulous example of how to think. Reading it restores the rigor and beauty of the thought life as we take in and meditate on God and His Word
on August 26, 2014
A great book by Mark Noll. I encourage him to come out with an updated edition with updates particularly on the chapters on how evangelicals have treated politics between 1994 and the present.
on January 8, 2014
For Christians of all types, especially Evangelicals, this book goes over the strengths and weaknesses of Evangelicalism -- and how it can improve in the future.
on November 29, 2012
Mark Noll provides a stunning critique of modern evangelical perspectives on culture, higher education, and science in a historical verifiable and valuable manner. Further, Noll uses this platform not only to provide an internal critique of evangelicalism, but also provides a number of solid bases for the development of the evangelical intellect. Overall, an excellent work that should be commended to any young evangelical, scholar of faith or religion, and those interested in the American Christianity.
on August 18, 2015
Item was exactly as described. Very happy with this purchase.