Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $24.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Black Friday Deals Week: Fire tablets starting at $29.99. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite Just Dance 2018 Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus
Format: Paperback|Change

on August 10, 2017
Carson always brings new insight and clarity to any subject he addresses. Here he gives us new views of the power of the Cross to transform. He places us into the times, minds and hearts of the !st century believers. He makes each passage come to life.
on February 19, 2012
Carson has done a marvelous job in Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus. The formula of the book is simple. For each chapter, the author takes a specific passage of Scripture and unpacks it in a provocatively new way (like the story of raising Lazarus). He reaches into the Bible and pulls out some of the deeper meanings, angles, and significances in Jesus Christ's life for all to see. What is seen is just how scandalously powerful, loving, and even ironic, Jesus is.

Carson's writing style is excellent here. Most Christians are going to be familiar with the passages he presents. However, he is going to hit the reader with powerful and deep concepts about the King of Kings they've likely never heard before. Not to worry, though; because his writing is so eloquent and readable, most readers will learn without knowing it until they close the book with an indescribable fascination and appreciation for who Jesus was.

Some of the most important passages in the New Testament are used by a great theologian to help you get closer to your Savior. Don't miss this one if you can afford it.
on April 12, 2010
Every year for Easter I like to read a new book covering the cross and resurrection, this year I selected newly released Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus by D.A. Carson. With only 168 pages this book is a small book filled with rich content. I usually can read 168 pages in one sitting, but this book took me a while to get through as I meditated on cross and the words by D.A. Carson.

Carson divides the book up into five sections with two to five sub-headings. Carson had me hooked from the first chapter when he revealed the ironies of the cross. "Irony expresses meaning by using words that normally mean the opposite of what is actually being said" Carson wrote. I found this section fascinating because the stories discussed were not new to me but the perspective in the way Carson laid them out was. It was almost like I was able to receive a bigger picture of the story leading up to Christ's death on the cross.

In the next section Carson discusses the depravity of man and how a person can be considered just before a holy God. Carson uses Romans 3:21-26 to walk readers through the steps that lay out how we can be considered righteous or justified. This section has a lot of meat and it is not a section to be read through quickly. Meditation is required to understand this passage from Paul. Carson does a great job in laying out everything in layman's terms.

This is a powerful book, one I will read more than once. Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus by D.A. Carson is a book that I highly recommend.
on April 13, 2017
it's awesome!
on May 3, 2017
great read
on March 16, 2016
Something my wife and I have mused about is the perhaps sad fact that we can never again meet each other for the first time--never re-live and re-experience our very love story. D. A. Carson, though, writes in a way that comes close to helping me re-experience my "first-love" with my Savior. Thank you, Dr. Carson!

David P. Hoover, PhD
on March 13, 2010
This was the first D.A. Carson book that I have read and really enjoyed his insight in it. I'll keep this review short but the book is an extremely quick read filled with taking a closer look at the stories in the Bible that have a bit of a Scandalous nature. Some of the texts that he looks into would be Matthew 27, Romans 3, Revelation 12, John 11, and John 20. Covering the cross and crucifixion, Lazarus, "doubting Thomas," and Romans 3 which he calls "The Center of the Whole Bible." Every text that he looks into offers up great nuggets of information and are described so well that anyone can understand whether new to the faith or seasoned theologian. Great read.
on June 19, 2011
D.A. Carson's book "Scandalous: The Cross and Resurrection of Jesus" is made-up of five edited sermons preached at one of Mark Driscoll's Resurgence conferences.

The first chapter explores "The Ironies of the Cross," showing spiritual truth in spite of spiritual blindness. Next, Carson unpacks the Gospel and describes how it flows from the cross - along the way giving one of the most helpful explanations of propitiation I have ever read.

The third chapter focuses our attention on the church and how victory is assured over Satan because of the cross. Carson then explains the death and resurrection of Lazarus and what it reveals about our need for and provision of salvation through Jesus. Finally, the story of Thomas is used to discuss the ever present problem of doubt.

I would recommend this book as a resource to understand many of the important implications arising from the literal death and resurrection of Jesus. But I have one serious complaint (as someone once said, I speak as a fly to a theological giant):

There is no exposition of the resurrection story. Carson chose to deal only with the implications of the event as it touched his other points. Consequently, this is a fine book on Christ's death. However, it fails to fulfill its promise to explain the resurrection, leaving me disappointed that Carson's exegetical gifts were not brought to bear on a part of the Gospel that is so often neglected.

Indeed, most tend to focus exclusively on the cross. But the cross without the resurrection is merely a story about a good man. The resurrection changes Jesus from being apparently a "good example," to what he really is: the living Son of God. Let us remember and live in light of the resurrection not just during the Easter season, but until our Lord returns again - in his resurrected body.
on December 10, 2010
Over the years I have read many, many books about Christianity and biblical interpretations. However, I have read very few books that so clearly communicate their message, while allowing for the reader the ability to look deeper themselves. Carson does a wonderful job of clearly illustrating his point using examples, references, and historical truths. Truly he sheds new life on verses that so many Christians have become so familiar with that we merely skim these all important passages. RE:Lit books has another winner on it's hands.
on April 30, 2015
I am a big fan of DA Carson's scholarship, but a lot of times his subject material requires his writing to be pretty dry. This book was not so. I found myself learning and yet also devotionally stirred, even in some of the old familiar stories.