Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Scarecrow
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 9, 1998
From an adult viewpoint, I thought the book was "very nice", but my child fell in love with this book. I am rating it as he would rate it. After all, the book is intended for children. He came home from school one day to describe a wonderful story that their teacher had read to them. He said it was so special because the words were soft and pleasing. This is a first! He also loved the pictures. So,I couldn't resist getting him a copy for Christmas.
on March 13, 2003
Title: Scarecrow
Author: Cynthia Rylant
Favorite Characters: scarecrow, birds
This story tells about a scarecrows life from a scarecrow's point of view. It begins with the scarecrow being made in the spring and the garden is being planted. The birds love to hang around on his arms and talk all day. He goes through summer, fall, and all he knows is that plants are growing up all around him.
This book shows how a scarecrow's life is peaceful and relaxing. It also shows the seasons and what happens during those seasons. It's not ever day you get to read about a scarecrow and it's life, so I recommend you read this book.
bg
on April 8, 2015
I bought this book because I had purchased other scarecrow books. My students enjoyed the other scarecrow book, The Scarecrow's Hat, much better than this book. This book was not as engaging and actually a little hard to get through.
on September 21, 2005
This story is an fresh perspective on a simple subject. The author sees scarecrows as neither scary nor effective in repelling crows. On the contrary, her scarecrow is a gentle and companionable creature who welcomes crows with, well, open arms. It is a lovely antidote if your little one has been frightened by an unfortunate Halloween experience. And the illustrations! Lovely, lovely. Rich fall colors, muted tones, dreamy softened edges. Buy this book if you are considering making over the paint scheme in your home. Copy the illustrator's color palette shamelessly.
on October 22, 1999
Although I usually love Ms. Ryland's work (this is the 5th book by the author I have) and the illustrations are warm, colorful, and inspiring, I felt the story to be not very easy for children to understand and not as particularly uplifting as some of her other works. I was a little disappointed but will continue to read it to my children as they age and see if they catch on.
on September 16, 2014
My 2.5 year old loves this book - he may not get the whole underlying meaning but he likes the pictures, seeing the mice, flowers and rain. And beyond that, I adore reading this to him. It's so heartwarming and sweet. Will buy this for the Moms I know to read to their little ones :)
on February 1, 2012
We are old friends of Cynthia Rylant's work -- her "Henry and Mudge" early readers left us in stitches, and we all love "Poppleton."

"Scarecrow," while beautiful, is not much of a story. Just watching the seasons change. There's a place for watching the seasons change, but it seems a shame to use illustrations as high-quality as these to illustrate... not much action. It's a peaceful story, but it seems like a missed opportunity.
on December 6, 2008
Would not buy it again. The pictures are pretty, but the story was too long, too complicated for young children. They quit listening after the first two pages and I had to make up a simple story as I turned the pages.
on September 3, 2011
I really enjoy reading this book to my students. They love the illustrations and Cynthia's writing is really cute. A must have in the classroom, or at home, for young children learning about fall.
on July 23, 2011
I really like this book for teaching young children. I would give it more stars but it fell apart after a few weeks. I was disappointed that it did not last longer.