Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

• Scat
  • Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 248 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 408 reviews
on February 21, 2009
One of the legacies of J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter books is a virtual glut of so-called "young adult" literature that can appeal to both kids and adults. The problem is that not all writers, even those successful at "adult" fiction, can write for this particular audience (for example, Michael Chabon is generally a good writer, but his attempt at this genre, Summerland, falls flat). Fortunately, Carl Hiaasen is not one of these lacking writers, as demonstrated in his first foray, Hoot and again in his new book, Scat.

The main character in Scat is Nick, a mid-teens Florida kid concerned about his father, a reservist in Iraq. These concerns are justified but are also competing with a more local concern: the disappearance of the dreaded Mrs. Starch, Nick's drill sergeant of a biology teacher. Mrs. Starch has vanished after a field trip to the local swamp that had been concerned by a fire that turns out to be caused by arson.

The prime suspect for the arson is Duane Scrod, Nick's classmate and a known troublemaker who has also vanished after a nasty argument with Starch. Duane has had previous arrests for arson and has a nickname of Smoke, so things don't look good for him. Of course, there's more to Smoke than meets the eye, and there is another suspicious party: a shady oil exploration company that has a scam that involves digging in a nature preserve.

Similar to Hoot, Scat also deals with a threatened animal, in this case, the Florida panther. And like almost all Hiaasen books, a major theme involves overdevelopment and the destruction of Florida's natural beauty. And like all Hiaasen books, this is a fun read, with a lot of humor and some more serious moments as well. Though tamer than Hiaasen's adult work (i.e., no real sex or violence), this will appeal to most people, regardless of age.
on January 10, 2017
Scat is another feast by Carl Hiaasen. Part of the fun is in the names he assigns to his characters: Duane Scrod, Sr and Jr-who also goes by his self determined nick-name, Smoke, the teacher, Bunny Starch, and Twilly Spree, whose devotion to nature gave him leave to relentlessly harass the representative of the Red Diamond drilling company- a group that was actually setting up their operation on Federally protected land. The young man, Nick Waters, whose family is trying to normalize after his father returns severely injured from Ira q, is basically the lead character around whom the insanity occurs! The events of this novel include a set fire, a school field trip, the rescue of a baby panther, reuniting said baby panther with his mother, a family fishing trip, and a feast of other insanity which only Hiassen could create!
on May 26, 2017
originally i picked up "Razor Girl" and thoroughly enjoyed it. So I ordered his four best sellers.
I should have been a bit more diligent. The four I ordered [SCAT, CHOMP, HOOT and FLUSH] are all "young adult books.
I have now read all four and they were very good. I am now passing them on to my grand children. Good plots and characters. Great messages and all very good reads.
on March 26, 2017
This is a fun story to read with students in your 5th grade class. My students and I would read this book individually and then have book talks at the end of the chapters. Interesting, educational and appropriate for adolescent learners.
on April 16, 2017
My son did not enjoy this book as much as he loved hoot. He said it was super confusing and had way too many characters for him, and jumps around a lot. He's 12 so maybe it just wasn't his thing. He told me he doubts he will finish it.
on October 1, 2016
Not much to say other than READ THIS BOOK. It has everything you'd expect from a mystery /detective sort of book plus something extra: humor. I'm not talking about just the knee slapping sort of jokey humor (although there is some of that) but also and more importantly the real, human kind of good humor that is too often lacking in the crime fiction genre.
on September 7, 2016
Hilarious. I want to read it again. The author has such a wonderful sense of humor while weaving a mystery. I was laughing so hard that I was crying on the plane while I was reading the book. Among others. I read all the Skink books. I have read all his books. Wish I had another one to read. But sadly I have read them all. His characters are so rich! I would recommend his books to everyone for sure.
on February 16, 2016
This is a fun book for middle grades. Carl's books are getting my kids (aged ten and twelve) interested in mysteries. There is a little bit of language but since I do these "read aloud" I can select other things to say when I feel I need to. It helps that we visited Florida and they can picture it in their minds. They like the environmental heros in this book and also in Hoot. The bad guys are fun to root against, too.
on June 21, 2016
Thanks Carl!!!!! Great summer reading for my 11 y/o son! He is reading all 4, Hoot, Chomp, Flush and now SCAT
on March 31, 2016
This book has everything a book should have. It keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting to discover what happens next. I recommend this book to everyone and every age. It is funny, descriptive, adventurous, and exciting.