Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New album by Tim and Faith Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on January 25, 2014
What I like:

1. Does all the things a TV should do
2. Audio (speakers) not great, but not horrible. Certainly usable.
3. 3 HDMI inputs.
4. Enough flexibility in picture controls to 'dial in' very nice image quality.
5. Uniform picture quality across the screen -- no 'hot spots' or backlight bleedthrough
6. Blacks are decently black. Not completely black, but close enough.
7. Packaging in shipping box was *excellent*.
8. Cable connections are to the side or down, not straight back, which makes wall mounting *easy*.
9. Image processor does a decent job of scaling 720P material to 1080-line display.
10. The user manual is available online for download (but as this is written, you have to get the llink from the Sceptre tech support folks).

I don't use the Roku-ready feature.

What I don't like:

1. The digital audio out is 5.1 *only* for tuner broadcasts. Any other signal sources, including HDMI (and Roku, if used) are dumbed down to 2-channel stereo at the digital audio output. So if you want surround sound, you must connect program source directly to audio rig and *not* use this TV's digital audio output. By the way, this (irritating) design is typical of most TV sets from most manufacturers (including Sony).

Also: For best image quality, the optimal 'aspect' setting is 'FULL (100%)'.
After display calibration, here are the settings I used:
Mode: user
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 75
Color: 39
Tint: +4
Sharpness: 0
Temperature: Normal
Advanced: Movie mode ON, all others OFF

Excellent value at $399 (walmart).
UPDATE 08-Nov-2014 -- walmart price has dropped to $349.
117 helpful votes
118 helpful votes
88 comments|Report abuse
on December 29, 2013
Hi folks. Don't let the no name-brand turn you off. This is a great TV for the price. The remote control has many useful features that saves time sifting through the on screen menu while watching TV. I love the "Aspect" button to make partial screen broadcasts into full screen (Cinema) on the TV with a one push of the button. Also, the "Sleep" button is very useful. The sleep feature was not even listed in the specs. The QAM tuner allows watching all unscrambled digital and analog channels without a Set-top box. Picture is sharp and the internal speakers are clear, nice and loud. I don't understand why there are so many unfavorable comments about the sound. My most favorite feature is the "Favorite" channels buttons on the remote (No pun intended), which also was not listed in the specs. The four favorite selection buttons on the remote makes it a breeze to select and access your favorite channels.
I bought a 46" Samsung smart TV two weeks ago for $200 more than I paid for this TV ($399). Samsung customer service in India were terrible. I am so glad I returned Samsung and bought this TV. I discovered that I don't need/want the Smart feature for internet access on a TV. It was so slow and froze so much, it was crazy. A computer is much better access to internet. The old adage that a higher priced item is not necessarily better; hold true with this TV.
71 helpful votes
72 helpful votes
44 comments|Report abuse
on September 30, 2015
I waited a few months to post this so we have been using this TV just about every day for a few months. Bought it as a bedroom TV, 55 inch. For a bedroom tv it's perfect. The base is cheap plastic and I wouldn't use it if I were you but ours is wall mounted so its not an issue. The sound isn't great so if you are a sound snob, you probably won't love it but it's fine for us. The TV, especially for the great price, is fantastic. I'm very happy with it.
5 helpful votes
on July 30, 2015
Dollar for dollar this is the best 50-inch money can by. I was skeptical when I ordered it, I had never heard of the brand and the price seemed too good to be true. Ordered it anyway figuring there was a 50/50 chance I would return it. Just got it a few days ago and WOW it's amazing. Incredible value, this is the best purchase I have ever made on Amazon or anywhere else for that matter. Picture is amazing and I love the swivel base it comes on, plus it is thin and light. I've been showing it off to all my friends, everyone is shocked when I tell them how much I got it for.
14 helpful votes
15 helpful votes
on August 14, 2015
We had to send the first one back since it stopped working, the replacement one works great. Although as most others have noted you really need a sound bar to improve the quality of sound to a decent one worth listening to.
5 helpful votes
on July 2, 2015
What a great surprise. The picture quality is excellent. This tv is worth every penny.
15 helpful votes
16 helpful votes
on July 12, 2015
TV is a great buy for the price but the sound is almost non-existent. With the volume all the way up we can barely hear it across the room.
7 helpful votes
on March 10, 2017
tv works good for the price there are a couple features that are not that good the speakers are terrible an the adjustment to the picture are limmited but again good tv for the price
1 helpful vote
on May 13, 2017
Bought this tv 8 monthes ago and it went out today. DO NOT BUY
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on February 21, 2017
Great price and great picture, but the sound is a little different. It sounds like mono not stereo. I bout $30 speakers and its much better
1 helpful vote