Industrial Deals Prime Book Box Men's Summer Sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on January 25, 2014
What I like:

1. Does all the things a TV should do
2. Audio (speakers) not great, but not horrible. Certainly usable.
3. 3 HDMI inputs.
4. Enough flexibility in picture controls to 'dial in' very nice image quality.
5. Uniform picture quality across the screen -- no 'hot spots' or backlight bleedthrough
6. Blacks are decently black. Not completely black, but close enough.
7. Packaging in shipping box was *excellent*.
8. Cable connections are to the side or down, not straight back, which makes wall mounting *easy*.
9. Image processor does a decent job of scaling 720P material to 1080-line display.
10. The user manual is available online for download (but as this is written, you have to get the llink from the Sceptre tech support folks).

I don't use the Roku-ready feature.

What I don't like:

1. The digital audio out is 5.1 *only* for tuner broadcasts. Any other signal sources, including HDMI (and Roku, if used) are dumbed down to 2-channel stereo at the digital audio output. So if you want surround sound, you must connect program source directly to audio rig and *not* use this TV's digital audio output. By the way, this (irritating) design is typical of most TV sets from most manufacturers (including Sony).

Also: For best image quality, the optimal 'aspect' setting is 'FULL (100%)'.
After display calibration, here are the settings I used:
Mode: user
Brightness: 38
Contrast: 75
Color: 39
Tint: +4
Sharpness: 0
Temperature: Normal
Advanced: Movie mode ON, all others OFF

Excellent value at $399 (walmart).
UPDATE 08-Nov-2014 -- walmart price has dropped to $349.
118 people found this helpful
|88 comments|Report abuse
on July 29, 2015
Frankly, I wasn't counting on this 50 inch TV to be great at $349. I was just hoping for it to be decently ok. Well, I am pleasantly surprised to say the least! There are no missing pixels anywhere on the screen, it has LOTS of connectivity options, and the picture is EXCELLENT! When I first turned it on, the picture wasn't that sharp, and the colors weren't really perfect, but a little toying around with the settings, and VOILA! GREAT picture!! I don't think it was set to 1080p at first, and the stock ticker on the bottom of CNBC looked poor. But now it is sharp & beautiful. Most people will want to attach a sound bar or surround system, as the built-in speakers are minimal. . . but that is nothing. So far, I LOVE this TV, and I am VERY glad I bought it! THANK YOU AMAZON PRIME, you guys are GREAT!!. I would give more than 5 stars if I could.
22 people found this helpful
on September 30, 2015
I waited a few months to post this so we have been using this TV just about every day for a few months. Bought it as a bedroom TV, 55 inch. For a bedroom tv it's perfect. The base is cheap plastic and I wouldn't use it if I were you but ours is wall mounted so its not an issue. The sound isn't great so if you are a sound snob, you probably won't love it but it's fine for us. The TV, especially for the great price, is fantastic. I'm very happy with it.
5 people found this helpful
on July 30, 2015
Dollar for dollar this is the best 50-inch money can by. I was skeptical when I ordered it, I had never heard of the brand and the price seemed too good to be true. Ordered it anyway figuring there was a 50/50 chance I would return it. Just got it a few days ago and WOW it's amazing. Incredible value, this is the best purchase I have ever made on Amazon or anywhere else for that matter. Picture is amazing and I love the swivel base it comes on, plus it is thin and light. I've been showing it off to all my friends, everyone is shocked when I tell them how much I got it for.
14 people found this helpful
on August 14, 2015
We had to send the first one back since it stopped working, the replacement one works great. Although as most others have noted you really need a sound bar to improve the quality of sound to a decent one worth listening to.
5 people found this helpful
on July 12, 2015
TV is a great buy for the price but the sound is almost non-existent. With the volume all the way up we can barely hear it across the room.
6 people found this helpful
on July 2, 2015
What a great surprise. The picture quality is excellent. This tv is worth every penny.
15 people found this helpful
on September 11, 2015
Decent TV but good luck receiving a working one, or even one in the same model. I ordered 3 of this tv, had to replace two of them immediately due to large black spots and missing pixels, and in the end, one of the TVs is either a different model or update than the rest based on picture quality and the options in the menu.
on November 24, 2015
I bought this for my best friend as a gift since his died, so far he loves it. Sound is not great, however that is to be expected for a flat LED TV with very little depth for speakers. an inexpensive sound bar fixes that quickly.
One person found this helpful
on May 13, 2017
Bought this tv 8 monthes ago and it went out today. DO NOT BUY
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.