Schiit Modi 3 D/A Converter - Delta-Sigma DAC (Silver)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Featuring the AK4490 delta-sigma DAC and DC-coupled output, Modi 3 delivers great sound for its price.
- Plug Modi 3 into any virtually any computer with the included USB to micro cable and you’re ready to go.
- Use the included wall power supply when connecting to an optical or coaxial digital source or when you connect to your phones and tablets that need a low-power-draw device.
- Select different inputs by using the toggle switch conveniently located on the front. On the back, you'll find Coaxial SPDIF, Optical SPDIF, and USB inputs, and single-ended RCA output.
- Modi 3 ships with a USB to Micro USB cable and a universal 5V USB wall power adapter
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
Your question might be answered by sellers, manufacturers, or customers who bought this product.
Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
Please enter a question.
Compare with similar items
Audioengine D1 24-Bit DAC, Premium Desktop Digital to Analogue Converter & Headphone Amplifier
PROZOR 192KHz Digital to Analog Audio Converter DAC Digital SPDIF Optical to Analog L/R RCA Converter Toslink Optical to 3.5mm Jack Adapter for PS3 HD DVD PS4 Amp Apple TV Home Cinema
Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100 Digital-to-Analogue Converter (Black)
Soundavo HP-DAC1 Digital to Analog Converter / Headphone Preamp DAC with S/PDIF, Line, USB Input for PC/Laptop
Seismic Audio Premium Red 1 Foot Dual RCA Male Audio Patch Cable (SAPRCA1-RD)
|Price||Unavailable||$169.00||$14.99||See price in cart||$129.99||$10.57|
|Sold By||—||Audioengine LLC||ProsterUS||ListenUp||West Port Premium Audio||Seismic Audio Speakers Inc|
|Item Dimensions||5 x 3.5 x 1.5 inches||3.5 x 3.75 x 1 inches||2.87 x 2.16 x 0.86 inches||5.12 x 4.17 x 1.81 inches||0.24 x 0.22 x 0.05 inches||6 x 4 x 2 inches|
Whether you want better sound from your computer, your tablet, your CD player, or many other sources, Modi 3 is a tiny delta-sigma DAC that really delivers.
Plug Modi 3 into any virtually any computer with the included USB to micro cable and you’re ready to go. Or, choose and optical or coaxial digital source with the included wall power supply. Or connect to your phones and tablets that need a low-power-draw device, again using the wall power supply. That’s right--Modi 3 accepts pretty much any input you can throw at it! Featuring the AK4490 DAC and DC-coupled output, Modi 3 delivers great sound far above its price.
- Windows. Windows 10 is highly recommended. It is usually plug and play with our DACs. Windows 7 and 8 will work, but may need our drivers. Windows XP, Vista, and Windows Server editions are all untested and are not recommended.
- Mac OSX. From 10.7 on up, Macs have been plug and play with our DACs.
- iOS. From iOS7 on up, iOS devices work with our DACs using a USB Camera Connection Kit, Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, or Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter.
- Android. Most Android devices that shipped with Android M or above work with our DACs using a USB OTG cable. Some may require separate player software, like USB Audio Player Pro.
- Linux. Most Linux distros that support UAC2 natively will be plug and play with our DACs. Please note that we cannot provide detailed technical support for Linux.
The vast majority of the total production cost of Modi 3-—chassis, boards, transformers, assembly, etc.-—goes to US companies manufacturing in the US. The wall-warts are made in China, but there's some give and take at this price point.
Modi 3 is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for two years.
Top reviews from the United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Minus two stars because they changed the casing finish from powder coated to brushed bare metal. Now it doesn't match my Schiit Sys. Customer support would do nothing for me, they wouldn't even let me buy a new (current finish style) enclosure for the Sys! So that basically tells me that they will refuse to sell you parts downstream if anything breaks. These essentially become non-serviceable throw-aways.
The Modi3 is another story. This is what I high end dac is supposed to sound like!! Smooth life like with natural attacks. and decays. Sounds as good on USB, as SPDIF-no need for upgrade power supplies etc. You could run a separate power supply to feed the USB portion-but I didn't see and improvement, like some other DACS.
Long story short-I think most will be happy with this DAC...and spend your hard earned cash some where else.
It's now my go to dac.
I get the reasoning on the micro USB. I just purchased a AQ adapter, as I like my Wireworld USB cable, that has a full size b plug.
Well, thanks Schiit, for getting that some of us just cannot wrap our ears around a MB dacs.
It is what it is.
But your guy's talent really shines in this bargain unit. IMHO it would still be a bargain at 3 times the price.
After researching tons of brands, I kept noticing the excellent reviews for this very inexpensive, funny sounding DAC. So i gave it a try and installed it yesterday. In short, after only an hour burn in time I was taken aback by the exceptional sound stage and detail of my CDs. I added XLR cables to my new, far less expensive Marantz 140 watt amp and the sound is simply spectacular. The lesser wattage doesn’t matter, there’s very tight bass, no trace of hiss or hum and just about the best sound I have ever heard. I’m going to replace my other Theta in my critical music listening room with another one of these DACs and sell both Thetas. It’s too early to predict longevity, but early listening far surpasses any expectation for great sound staging.
Be careful with the Modi’s TOSLiNK connection - the flap is fragile. The Modi and Echo Link are a killer combo for adding good quality streaming audio to your wired stereo.
FYI: i also have schiit loki eq control and in combination with the schiit dac i was geting lots of distortion when knobs were turned clockwise on positive side and loki was conected between dac and pre-amp. I tried to connect schiit loki between pre-amp and power amp and I was getting buzz in my speakers when eq was engaged. So I removed schiit loki completely and my system sounds fine.
UPDATE: This dac is improvement over build in dac in Emotiva TA-100 for sure. I did A/B testing and Modi 3 sounds definitely cleaner. I also Put back loki in my system and I don’t have any audio issues anymore.
Fire stick tv to tv. Tv to schiit modi 3 via optical cable. Modi 3 to loki to emotiva ta-100 (pre-amp). Emotiva ta-100 to emotiva A-300 (power amp). And finaly Zu Omen mk2.