Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 40 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on July 20, 2009
I have three rhyming books as I write my annual Christmas letter in a poem.
This one happens to be the best one I own in my humble home.

It's true this book doesn't have every word that I need.
However, most of rhyming words I use come from this book - guaranteed.

It has cute pictures, large text, and I like how the words are arranged.
If I didn't have this book during the holidays, I would definitely feel short changed.

I don't have time to write more, so you'll have to see for yourself,
Why this little rhyming book belongs on your bookshelf.
on December 13, 2015
I am making this book part of my arsenal for tutoring students who want to learn the English Language. They need to get comfortable with using the language and I need materials that will help them.
on September 10, 2011
I use the Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary for writing children's rhymes and for constructing rhyming puzzles. For both tasks, I need only basic vocabulary, and while a rhyming dictionary isn't necessary (you can probably think of most of these rhymes yourself), it sure makes life simpler. Every time you need a rhyme for "hat," do you want to sit there going "at, bat, brat, cat, chat...?" No, you have better things to do with your time, and this book can save that time for you.

When I ordered this book, I wasn't expecting much from it. After all, it's a kid's reference book and I'm an adult. Years later, I consider it one of my most fortunate purchases. It is well organized and easy to use, and the little cartoon pictures are cute. FYI, I also own a "serious" rhyming dictionary that has just about every rhyme and near-rhyme that anyone could ever want, and I never use it. The Scholastic Rhyming Dictionary is more intuitively arranged and it has everything I need.
on April 13, 2017
This has given my kids hours of fun making up poems and stories.
on January 29, 2012
As a teacher I write poems and songs to help English Language Learners learn grammar and vocabulary. The Rhyming Dictionary is always by my side while writing the poems. It's easy to find words that end in the same sound in the main section. In the back section you can search for a word you want to rhyme and it leads you to the page where you find words that end with the same sound. It has interesting cartoon drawings in places that break up the full page of 'lists'. I haven't used it with students writing poetry, but I believe they would find it useful, too.
on October 12, 2015
I am a poet and love this book. Every poet should have one. The rhymes are listed in columns. A fun way to use them is to take words and make poems. I like to use them to write quatrains. This book seems to stimulate poetic writing. I use it frequently and last week I wrote about a poem (or more) a day. Outstanding book for poets!
on May 17, 2014
I wish this dictionary was still in print! I use this in my classroom and it is easily accessible to elementary students who love to look up rhyming words when we do poetry. I've looked at some other rhyming dictionaries but they are too difficult for kids and have too many "hard" words and not enough "kid" words. This one is perfect.
on July 21, 2013
I use this in my classroom when the students are writing poetry. It is an extremely valuable tool! The kids fight over who gets to use the "same sound dictionary." Some of the comments they have made are:

"I didn't know those rhymed!" or
"You mean they don't have to be spelled the same way to sound the same?"

and my favorite...

"He/She won't let me use it!!!"
on May 20, 2017
It is useful in the classroom when teaching poetry.
on June 22, 2013
When student teaching in a first great classroom this book was how we decided the spelling concepts of the day. This dictionary is alphabetized by word sounds; like ing. Below ing in bold letter is a list of words that end with ing, bring, cling, ding, fling. This is a great resource for early elementary school teachers!