Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Red and Rose nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheBigSick TheBigSick TheBigSick  Three new members of the Echo family Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on February 26, 2016
I have been waiting SO long for this to be in stock somewhere and I finally was able to purchase it. I am thrilled! My kids love the first volume, and I wanted to have the whole collection. The stories are so cute, and I love that these collections expose my kids to good picture books, especially popular Caldecott medal winners. My 5 and 3 year old especially love the Teacher from the Black a Lagoon stories. This collection has 2 DVDs in each slim case, so the whole box itself takes up less room than the box for collection one. I wish they had more volumes!! When I was looking to buy this, I finally contacted scholastic and they said they aren't currently producing volume 2, that's why it's so hard to find. Hopefully they get back to making more!
on February 26, 2011
I purchased this set for a 4-year-old's birthday, and received a special "thank you" card to note that the parents enjoyed them as much as the child. Then I ordered another set for my own 3-year-old, and found myself sitting on the sofa to watch with her :-)

Here are my 2 cents:
1) First, this is an excellent collection of the children's books. Some of them have been children's favorites for generations.
2) Best of all, the beauty of the original picture books are well kept in the electronic format. The contents are appropriate for the young and older children to watch.
3) The captions are from the original books, which may help building vocabularies along the course.
4) The music and songs are engaging. As a child may have been familiar with some of them, he or she can sing along with it.
5) The lovely voices elaborate the stories. As I have accents by myself, I trust my daughter would capture a better pronunciation by listening to them.
6) Would suggest using this set as a good guidance for a library borrowing list, if the parents want to discuss the stories with the children further.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 23, 2010
Our family has treasured our collection of Scholastic Storybook Treasures original Treasury of 100 Storybook Classics. This fall a new collection, jam packed with another 100 storybook renditions on DVD was released and has proven to be just as packed with value as the first collection.

For those unfamiliar with the Scholastic Storybook Treasures collection, each DVD includes an assortment of favorite children's picture books on DVD. The picture books (and their DVD renditions) range from the `70s to the current day and include a wide variety of presentation styles. There are live-action renditions, fully animated versions, versions where a camera pans over the original illustrations to provide movement and visual interest, and so forth. These collections are always eclectic (and that is GOOD!) and I'm always surprised by the new favorites my children discover.

There is really a lot here, and everyone can pick their own favorites. I tend towards favoring the `classics' like Caps for Sale, but I also liked many of the musical stories on discs 3 and 4, such as There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly, and Frog Went A-Courtin'. My oldest daughter (7) enjoys the zany stories such as The Emperor's New Clothes (a version in which the emperor is drawn in the buff, cartoony style - not full frontal, but you can see his bum), Bark, George, and she LOVES discs 11 and 12 - this Miss Nelson and Black Lagoon stories. My middle daughter (4) and youngest (2) are pretty flexible, though I do notice a lot of requests for the Black Lagoon from my 4-year-old.

As a family we don't celebrate most Western-style holidays, so we've skipped discs 15 and 16, the Christmas and Halloween-oriented collections, but there is more than enough content by far to make up for these rare exclusions.

Each of the main title features includes optional read-along captioning that highlights each word as it is read by the narrator -great for beginning readers! This is one of my favorite features, but this captioning isn't included on the "Bonus Stories" generally speaking.

Seventeen DVDs are included in the box set, most of which have been previously released as stand-alone titles or in previous Scholastic Storybook Treasures sets. If you already own the first box set - Treasury of 100 Storybook Classics - there are only two duplicate stories present in this collection. In this second treasury there are included (the Amazon listing above this review isn't accurate as of this posting):

DVD #1. Corduroy and More Stories About Caring, 60 minutes
- Corduroy (this is live action!)
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel (classic!)
- The Happy Lion
Bonus Stories:
- I Love You Like Crazy Cakes (an adoption story)
- Smile for Auntie (`70s style eccentricity my children really dig)
- The Happy Owls

DVD #2. Good Night, Gorilla and More Great Sleepytime Stories, 61 minutes
- Good Night, Gorilla
- Happy Birthday, Moon
- The Napping House
- The Rainbabies
Bonus Stories:
- Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin (fun introduction to the orchestra)
- Elizabeti's Doll

- Bugs! Bugs! Bugs!
- All the Colors of the Earth
- Keeping House
- Hush Little Baby
Other Features: Spanish version of Musical Max (with captioning), interview with author/illustrator of Bugs! Bugs! Bugs, discussion questions

DVD #4. There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly and More Sing-Along Favorites, 65 minutes
- There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (sung by Cyndi Lauper, yes - really!)
- This Land is Your Land (sung by Arlo Guthrie!)
- Frog Went A-Courtin'
- Over in the Meadow
- Giraffes Can't Dance
- Dem Bones (anatomical fun!)
- The Chinese Violin
- Changes, Changes

DVD #5. Is Your Mama a Llama? And More Classic Children's Stories, 66 minutes
- Is Your Mama a Llama?
- - Noisy Nora
- Each Peach Pear Plum
- The Little Red Hen (traditional ending)
Bonus Story:
- Reading to Your Bunny
Other Features: Spanish versions of Is Your Mama a Llama? and Noisy Nora, there is supposed to be a visit with Rosemary Wells (author of Noisy Nora and Reading to Your Bunny), but I couldn't find it on my DVD

DVD #6. Giggle, Giggle, Quack and More Stories by Doreen Cronin, 84 minutes + extras
All of these stories are written by Doreen Cronin, we love her work! Randy Travis does the narrations for all the farm titles.
- Giggle, Giggle, Quack
- Dooby Dooby Moo
- Duck for President
- Diary of a Worm
- Diary of a Fly
Other Features: Spanish versions of Giggle, Giggle, Quack and Duck for President, Interview with Harry Bliss (illustrator of the Diary of series), discussion questions

DVD #7. The Hans Christian Andersen Collection, 119 minutes
Some of these renditions are traditional, others are VERY modern, watch my notes.
- The Ugly Ducking (traditional)
- The Emperor's New Clothes (traditional, nude emperor)
- Nightingale (traditional)
- The Red Shoes (very modern)
Bonus Stories:
- The Little Match Girl (very modern)
- The Swineherd (traditional, also included in the original Treasury of 100 Storybook Classics)

DVD #8. The James Marshall Fairytale Collection, 83 minutes
These fairytale versions are all retold and illustrated by James Marshall. The stories are fairly classic modern retellings (what most of us are familiar with as opposed to the Grimm's versions, The Three Little Pigs may be a bit different than the version you're most familiar with (only one pig survives).
- Red Riding Hood
- James Marshall's Cinderella
- Goldilocks and the Three Bears
- The Three Little Pigs
- Hansel and Gretel
Bonus Story:
- Space Case (about an alien visitor, Halloween setting)

DVD #9. He's Got the Whole World in His Hands and More Stories to Celebrate the Environment, 60 minutes
- He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
- Come On, Rain!
- Giving Thanks: A Native American Good Morning Message
- Owl Moon
Bonus Stories:
- The Tale of the Mandarin Ducks (sort of morose, but a surprising hit here)
- Patrick
- A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog

DVD #10. Antarctic Antics and More Hilarious Animal Stories, 60 minutes
- Antarctic Antics (very fun and educational, a new favorite find for us)
- In the Small, Small Pond
- Bear Snores On
- Bark, George
Bonus Stories:
- Caps for Sale (how can you not love it?)
- The Hat
- The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge

DVD #11. The Teacher From the Black Lagoon and More Slightly Scary Stories, 59 minutes + extras
My four-year-old is a bit monster-sensitive, so I wasn't sure how this would go over in our house, but it is a BIG hit here, and is often asked for. These are all by Mike Thaler and illustrated by Jared Lee except for the last story.
- The Teacher from the Black Lagoon
- The Librarian from the Black Lagoon
- The Gym Teacher from the Black Lagoon
- Shrinking Violet (narrated by Calista Flockhart)
Other Features: Interviews with Mike Thaler and Jared Lee, discussion questions.

DVD #12. Miss Nelson Has a Field Day and More School Adventure Stories, 61 minutes + extras
If you're in my age-range you'll remember the Miss Nelson stories fondly from school. My children really enjoy them.
- Miss Nelson Has a Field Day
- Miss Nelson is Back!
- The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash (Steven Kellog illustrations, more memories!)
- The Dot
- Amazing Grace
Other Features: Spanish versions of The Day Jimmy's Boa Ate the Wash and Amazing Grace, discussion questions

DVD #13. Crazy Hair Day and More Funny School Adventures, 59 minutes + extras
- Crazy Hair Day - (another top pick from my 7-year-old)
- Petunia
- How Do Dinosaurs Go to School? (written and narrated by Jane Yolen, my four-year-old really likes this one)
- Monty
- Will I Have a Friend?
Other Features: Spanish version of Monty, interview with Crazy Hair Day Author/illustrator Barney Saltzberg, discussion questions

DVD #14. So You Want to be President? And More Stories to Celebrate American History, 76 minutes + extras
We are Canadians, but there are still some great stories in this collection regardless of your nationality.
- So You Want to be President (funny, educational overview of American presidents to date)
- My Senator and Me: A Dog's-Eye View of Washington, D.C.
- Madam President
- I Could Do That! Esther Morris Gets Women the Vote
Other Features: Interview with Lane Smith author/illustrator of Madam President, meet Senator Edward M. Kennedy and Splash authors of My Senator and Me, Presidential timeline, discussion questions.

DVD #15. The Night Before Christmas and More Classic Holiday Tales, 73 minutes
- The Night Before Christmas
- In the Month of Kislev (Hannukah)
- Seven Candles for Kwanzaa
- Too Many Tamales
- Max's Christmas
- Morris's Disappearing Bag
- The Little Drummer Boy
Other Features: Spanish version of Too Many Tamales

DVD #16. A Very Brave Witch and More Great Halloween Stories for Kids, 69 minutes
- A Very Brave Witch
- By the Light of the Halloween Moon
- A Dark, Dark Tale
- Georgie
- The Witch in the Cherry Tree
- The Three-Legged Cat
- The Three Robbers
- Little Tim and the Brave Sea Captain

DVD #17. Ralph S. Mouse Based on the Book by Beverly Cleary, 85 minutes + extras
- Ralph S. Mouse
Bonus Stories:
- Stanley and the Dinosaurs (also included in the original Treasury of 100 Storybook Classics)
- Uncle Elephant
Interestingly, all of these stories are live action (Ralph is a furry puppet style mouse with a human cast) or claymation style, another favorite DVD of my oldest.
Other Features: Discussion questions

There are also some improvements that make the collection much easier to use for parents. An alphabetical index is included on a separate sheet that lists each story alphabetically, then shows the title of the collection it is included on as well as the disc number. This is so helpful when you don't have the contents of the DVDs memorized as well as your children do and they ask for a specific title!

The 100 storybooks are presented in a very compact collection of 17 DVDs, collected according to theme (or sometimes author), often with two discs to a DVD case, making this collection economical on shelf-space as well as the pocketbook!

With 19 hours+ of high-quality children's programming and over 50 children's literature awards between the collected titles, this is such a great collection! I love it when storybooks are faithfully rendered in DVD format, the content and language is much richer than you find with mainstream children's programming, and these titles are proven winners!

This collection is very diverse, whether you are a primary-level educator (we are homeschoolers, and I love the Spanish versions, captioning, and how many of the titles are classics we use as read-alouds for literature), a parent, or a grandparent looking for a great gift idea, I can only imagine that these discs will be warmly and enthusiastically received by any child in the 2 - 9 age range.

I know I've gone through the collection by DVD, but if you prefer an alphabetical story-listing (looking for a favorite tale?) then here is one for you:

All the Colors of the Earth
The Happy Lion
The Happy Owls
The Hat
He's Got the Whole World in His Hands
How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?
Hush Little Baby
Miss Nelson Is Back!
Monty
Morris's Disappearing Bag
Musical Max
My Senator and Me: A Dog's Eye View of Washington, D.C.
The Napping House
The Red Shoes
Seven Candles for Kwanza
Shrinking Violet
Smile for Auntie
So You Want to Be President?
Space Case

Monty
Musical Max
Noisy Nora
Too Many Tamales

There are also the additional interviews, discussion questions etc. as listed above by DVD.
1010 comments| 287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 5, 2011
I am a teacher in a Pre-K classroom and these stories are great to use on the Smartboard! They make great transitions, time-fillers, and a way to get the kids settled down for circle time. I have the original 100 stories as well, and bought this set because the first one was so popular with the kids. The kids quickly pick their favorite stories, and parents enjoy them as well because they relate them to the books that they read to their kids at home. This set of dvds has many more popular children's books than the first set as well as stories that you can sing along to. Overall, this is a great product and definitely worth the investment!
on August 24, 2011
We have had the first Scholastic Treasury for several years, and I was delighted to see this one come along. Very few, if any, repeats. I also like that this collection uses fewer jewel cases and takes up less space. The adaptations are excellent as are the choices of stories...classics and some newer stories, too. Highly recommended.
on November 8, 2013
I had fallen in love with these videos when I first began teaching and they were on VHS. Now I have the extensive collection and can share them more easily. I use these videos to make books more accessible to my Taiwanese students who often don't have the resources available to read these books themselves. The Read-Along subtitles are fantastic for helping their English comprehension and prompting discussions and journal writing, even for younger learners.
on October 8, 2011
I have both sets. I love them. Great illustrations from the books and animations. Kids can watch some great books and also read a long too. You can choose to have the read along feature or not. Has 17 dvds and around 19 hours long altogether. Thora Birch, Abigail Breslin, Mia Farrow, Cyndi Lauper, John Lithgow, and more celebrities narrate. I put this on while my kids play its a lot better then a lot of the stuff on tv now a days so I just pop some of these dvds in and they can watch and learn from these great books.
on January 19, 2013
I bought both sets on an impulse Gold Box special, and I really like them for my lil dude! We have many of the books from each set, and the illustrations turned to animation are great! They don't keep his interest as long as Toy Story or Cars (he's 2 yrs old), but I like to sit with him and watch a few stories with the accompanying book. I think we'll get some use from these for some time!
on October 25, 2012
I have always loved the Scholastic books. My Granddaughters want to watch these over and over again. So much so that it has become a bedtime ritual when they sleep at Grandma's. First we READ stories, then as they settle into bed we watch several stories together in cuddle mode. Haven't found a bad apple in the bunch. All the stories are good.
on March 26, 2014
I am a School Librarian and unfortunately this DVD set is now allowed to show in a school setting (classroom or library), due to copyrights (public performance rights per each story are expensive!!). I wish that it was. However, for home use, this is an excellent set of DVD's for children to view.