Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New year, new music. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade 2018 Planners Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

School Daze
Format: DVD|Change

on January 9, 2013
So to comment on the movie itself: It was a great movie! I'm glad I finally saw it (watched the Amazon on Demand rental). The characters are natural and the entire thing feels real, not contrived. You can tell the cast and crew put their work in trying to create a real college experience on-screen. And as a 2008 graduate of Spelman, I enjoyed seeing the recognizable campus locations filmed in the earlier parts of the movie :) The musical numbers were just weird, though; with the exception of Tisha Campbell's number and the scene at the bathing suit party, they seemed out of place and kind of wacky. Interesting, definitely, but I wasn't expecting them.

I will say this. When I was in high school all everyone could talk about was School Daze and how they couldn't wait to go to college and pledge partially because of what they saw here. I did go to an HBCU in the mid-2000s, but some of the experiences in the movie made me go "huh". I know that Lee's Morehouse experience happened in the mid-to-late 70s, and this movie was filmed in the late 80s, so I think a lot of things at HBCUs and with Greeks in particular were different - especially given that pledging was above-ground then and is mostly underground now. You don't see a line of Pyramids or Sphinxmen all dressed alike in public anymore. But more importantly, I don't feel like my HBCU experience (Morehouse-Spelman-Clark Atlanta community) had the same timbre that Lee's maybe did in the 70s or that was portrayed here in the 80s - this sort of disjointed, fractured black community. I had Greek friends even though I'm not Greek; colorism wasn't as much of an issue; and pretty much everyone on campus was involved in the community and political activism in some way. So I only saw parts of my experience reflected here - the crazy themed homecoming party, the homecoming game (and losing badly).

Still great movie!
on January 1, 2018
Old movie but I still like it quality dvd
on September 20, 2017
Did not age well at all.
on December 2, 2015
I can't say it was the best movie, but I love how they displayed historically black college/university life. From social action to frat life, I was totally on board. Unfortunately, it is rare to see these types of movies. I just wish the writing & acting was better.
review image
on June 5, 2017
classic movie. automatic 5 stars!
on January 24, 2016
False advertising. Product description stated widescreen 1:85 ratio. Received full screen version. No one orders full screen unless the are no other choices. Do not trust this seller. Do not buy this movie unless you like watching 4:3 full screen movies. Ahhh, takes me back to my youth before there were more than 3 tv channels.
on April 10, 2017
Do I belong? Is it me!
Sensational- movie!

Cherese Eudlyn Nelson
on August 17, 2017
Love this movie gamama rays
on August 18, 2017
Classic tale of the HBCU. Even though the film is set on a campus over 30 years ago, many of the themes are still relevant and relatable.
on June 21, 2013
The innovative Spike Lee continues to pull together a good group of professional actors, such as Laurence Fishburne, Giancarlo Esposito and Ossie Davis in his films on black culture. Although the message of this film did not come across as good as I think it should have been Spike Lee still scored points with me for the location (good old Brooklyn where I grow up) the racial problems that were going on within the black race itself such as light vs. black skin people, overall a good film and the purchase price is right. Recommend you add it to you Spike Lee collection.