BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent Baby Driver Available to Rent  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

on July 11, 2013
For this review, I'm assuming you have seen the movie (otherwise, why buy the dvd) and are considering owning a copy.

This is a fine DVD. It is not HD or Blue Ray, but it plays and looks great on my blue ray player.
There is really nothing wrong with the copy, and for that alone this would get 5 stars. But I rate dvds on their bonus material, especially the commentary, since this is where the added value is for me. And in this aspect, I think the value could be higher. The commentary was very half-assed. I don't mind the commentators goofing off or even digressing wildly - often this provides valuable insights into these personalities. But I expect a certain amount of discussion of the film, its production, the development of the story, the actors' interpretation of and improvisation with their roles, etc. The commentary section was very mediocre. Not bad, just not great. Hence 4 stars. If I was rating just the commentary, It'd be 2 stars.

The redeeming qualities come with the many other special features: the kids have a commentary track, and the kids have a video diary of the showing of School of Rock at the Toronto film festival; there is a fun music video of a song one of the kids (in the story line), and other such features. I found the kid stuff really fun. So many of them were so delightful in the film, it was great to get a sense of their real personalities.

Hope this helps.
on January 24, 2017
This movie inspired me to stick it to the man. Thank you Jack Black. I also want to add that the director for this exceptional film Richard Lanklater pictured and developed this film with absolute perfection. I believe Richard and Jack work well together to execute each scene with excitement and exuberance. Lastly, Joey Gaydos Jr., the actor who plays Zach, busted my gut and melted my face off with that epic guitar solo.
on April 29, 2017
Great movie, especially for musicians to enjoy... family friendly (for the most part) and my school-age kids love it too. Jack Black is in his element, and shows his hilarious style without being TOO obscene. The kid actors (most of whom are all grown up now) were all great too. I wish there would have been a sequel!
on August 18, 2016
A not-too-sweet, good-hearted movie certain to get kid viewers interested or more interested in music. Jack Black is always grubbily hilarious; Joan Cusack gets to do more than just stand around for a change. The only serious flaws are the predictable adherence to which sex plays what (white boy virtuoso guitarist, girls sing back up) and Sarah Silverman wasted in a conventional shrew of a girlfriend role. Everyone else gets redemption.
on April 2, 2017
Funny movie, a collectable for Jack Black fans. But my favorite is "The Holiday" also starring Cameron Diaz, Kate Winslet, Jude Law, and Eli Wallach. Jack Black was absolutely fabulous in that movie!
on August 27, 2016
This was supposed to be a new DVD and the box did come shrink wrapped, but the disc itself is has fine scratches all over it. Also, it does not play properly. The volume keeps getting dramatically louder and softer, so that I need to adjust the volume on my player just to hear it. It also would not play all the way through. I get an error message saying there is a damaged area that needs to be skipped over. I suspect that this was not a new disc at all, but a used one that war rewrapped.
on May 26, 2017
School Of Rock is played by Jack Black he Rocked it out.. Love this guy. And it is blu ray YAY Yes I would buy again. My girl loves itt.
on August 15, 2015
Jack Black leading a rock band of children while simultaneously teaching kids to love themselves and to stick it to the man? Sign me up! I've loved this movie since it came out and it still holds up to this day! I finally got around to ordering a copy, and I was glad to find no scratches or anything on the case or on the dvd. Needless to say I watched it about five times in a row after it got here, that was a good weekend.
on October 2, 2016
You have to love the way Jack Black - acts, in order to love this movie. Great ending even as the credits are rolling. We watched this at a family birth day party and even my 68yr. old mother loved it. It is fun watching Jack Black's antics as he goes over the top.
on October 9, 2017
Part of our family's classic canon that we find satisfying to watch every so often.