Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 38 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 41 reviews
on February 4, 2011
Awesome!! The very first thing I have to say! The second is the picture(s), do not do it any justice! This is my second marlin spike,(my first is the S & W hawk bill), and WOW!. First off I was expecting a camping multi use type knife, not very big, functional but cheap feeling.... When you pull it out of the box, the weight alone tells you the quality. The blade is sharp out of the box, the spike is solid, and unremarkable. Very solid, sharp quality. The handle is a composite type material with a "whittling" type look, that is riveted, both strategically and fashionably. There is also a ships wheel inlay, it looks nice, but I would have liked a type of thumb grip instead.(No marlin spike has this, it's just something I would find usefull). The entire knife extended, with blade and spike, is 10". This is a good size bladed tool, it fits awesome in the palm of your hand, and used correctly is a sailors wet dream! I could go on and on, but $20.00 is a steal. Thumbs up to Schrade(Taylor), for something that is worth it's weight in gold!!!!!!!
on November 5, 2012
I'm a tall ship sailor, so I need a good solid knife and spike. This is a great combo. I did not have time to forge my own (smithing), so I bought this to last me all season. The knife is sharp and when used, I can feel micro-serrations eating away at the line. The spike is solid and sturdily locks into position. It's very good at picking out troublesome knots with both small and large diameter lines. I passed a lanyard through the release lever for the spike, and that works well.

If I have any complaint, its that the blade does not lock open - this would be a real nice feature of security. The inlaid ships wheel did come unglued from the handle -- it's not the best construction (made in China), but a little E-6000 stuck it right back in place, good as new.

I highly recommend this knife. It will work as a primary (it's been mine), but would perform better as an addition or a backup to your sailing rig.
on March 31, 2013
I bought this knife for my new job working on a Schooner and it does the job well. The knife came sort of sharp but dulled out after one day of use, after I sharpened it on my own whetstone it sharpened well and holds the edge nicely. I really like the spike on one end that locks because it is super nice to be able to undo knots, especially the tough ones. The only thing I was disappointed in was that although the blade "locks" into place it isn't actually locked into place with a release mechanism, so it could become unlocked while trying to cut something. Overall the knife does well for Schooner work.
on December 3, 2013
This rigging knife is very good, well made and holds a decent edge. Great to have in your ditty bag. Mine is always on my sailboat with me because I do a lot of decorative ropework.
on September 9, 2010
This is a great sailors knife. It looks really good and is sharp, well made, and fulfills its purpose. It is a lot bigger then the picture makes it look which is a good thing I think. The straight blade cuts rope very well, and the marlin spike also works well. The marlin spike is used to untie very tight or intricut knots. I would recomend this knife.
on June 1, 2013
The Schrade 735RPB Mariner's Knife is hard to beat for the purpose for which it was made. I used to own a similar mariner's knife about 25 years ago and have missed it. This version is simple and well made, with only what is needed to do the work. It would be even better if this item were offered with a scabbard. I am very pleased with my purchase. Thank you Schrade! And thanks to Best Service Stores for getting it to me so quickly!
on August 6, 2013
Nice knife. Sharp blade. marlin spike is sharper than I needed making it a bit tough to work with paracord but it can be done.
on August 27, 2013
Just received this yesterday. First impressions are it is good quality, solid feeling in the hand. It has a good locking mechanism for the marlinspike. The blade is pretty sharp right out of the box, made a nice clean cut through paper. For $15, I'm happy.
on May 21, 2015
My old standard. Sharp and strong. Always with me on the boat. I only wish the blade could lock out as the spike does.
on March 27, 2013
The Schrade 735RPB Knife and Marlin spike is a marvelously useful tool. It fits the hand well. I does not have lots of extra gadgets to get in the way or break. It is strongly made. It is well designed for its purpose of assisting the splicer and handling rope.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question