Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

Style Name: Elliptical|Change

on December 14, 2014
 We bought the Schwinn 430 after we decided our health club membership wasn't worth it. Best. Decision. Ever. Anyway, we are quite picky when it comes to big purchases, and prefer to buy trusted names, so Schwinn was at the top of the list. Like any smart consumer, we tested it out in a sporting goods store first, and it was super-stable feeling, plus it had all the bells and whistles we wanted: manual settings, heart rate monitor, adjustable incline and resistance, fan, dual display, ipod/iPad dock with speakers, etc. The only other contender was the Life Fitness models, but they were 2x the price and didn't seem to offer much more to justify the price.

Basically, once it got to our home it only took me 45min to set up...the assembly wasn't difficult, just bolt on the handlebars, run a cable through the 'spine' and hook it up to the monitor, and bolt on the footpedals.

We've used it on a regular basis now for a little over a month, and couldn't be happier...we keep the tension at about 4 (out of 20, which is probably a design contingency in case the Hulk buys one).

The best thing about it is that we can get up, grab an iPad, put on Netflix, and watch a TV show or (part of) a film while getting healthy...this really helps to pass the time.

Unless you are super-ridiculously-picky, you will be happy with this machine...good quality, nice design, more functionality than most people will ever need, and a great price. For more, check out the reviews here: http://amzn.to/1zbXjgZ
3131 comments| 321 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 15, 2014
I selected this product based on its numerous positive reviews and modest price, and have been very impressed to date. The machine is sturdy and operates very smoothly. My observations:
1. For its cost, I consider it an excellent value for the $599.00 I paid for it. Some reviews complained about the weight (over 200 lbs) but my question is, do you want a piece of equipment like this made out of well constructed steel, or cheap plastic parts? The warranty could be better, but you can always get one thru a 3rd party if desired.
2. The parts card (bolts, washers, etc) also come with the necessary tools for assembly. Although this is a very nice and thoughtful feature, I used my own ratchet wrench w/hex head socket which saved a lot of work and allowed me to torque down the critical bolts a lot tighter than I could have with the supplied Allen wrench. Assembly time for me (good mechanical skills, lumbar facet joint arthritis, post lumbar laminectomy, herniated cervical disk, cracked A/C joint in my shoulder - about 4 hours with a few breaks).
3. I found all parts and fittings to be of very good quality, going together well. If working on carpeting, be careful, as some components are greased.
4. Ease of assembly - Although the directions were relatively easy, this is not necessarily a project for a "first timer", especially if you are using the supplied Allen (hex) wrench, and not a socket wrench. NOTE: You do not need 2 people as they recommend unless you are a newbee to these types of projects.
5. Manual - This was the one minor shortcoming. Failed to have directions on the computer module that came with my machine (apparently, Schwinn uses several different ones). When I went online to download the complete 430 manual, they had a different computer module in the instructions. This would have immediately reduced my rating to a "4"; however, the Nautilus customer rep was outstanding. While I was assembling the machine, I inadvertently stripped one of the hex head bolts and wanted a replacement, even offering to pay for whatever cost would be associated, She not only promptly forwarded me the correct manual with instructions for my particular computer, but said she would forward me the complete parts card at no cost, as they do not forward individual bolts & fittings. And to my additional amazement, this person actually spoke English.
6. Moving the machine: Assembled machine dimensions with computer attached: 63" high, 69" long, 27" wide. I live in a 2 bedroom apt. and assembled the machine in my living room. The machine has front rollers for moving. With my bathroom directly across from the bedroom I was moving it into, I figured I had plenty of maneuvering room. Long story short - needed a second person and just barely made it without having to partially dissemble. As they say in the building trades, "measure twice, cut once".
7. Some Internet info suggested Schwinn was discontinuing the 430 (actual description is 430/Journey 4). The CS rep I talked to at Schwinn said no plans to do so.
8. Final note - the operative consideration for this machines' purchase is, "for the money". In my opinion, you can't do better. This machine is made for someone looking for something well made with the essential features and functionalities needed to get into shape, which is all the average person needs, without having to take a second mortgage on your house. If you are training for the Olympics, need something for a commercial gym or need the level of computer sophistication that measures every time you pass gas, spend the $4,000. Otherwise, the Schwinn may be just what you're looking for. As always, do your "due diligence" on the Internet before buying. What I found is that the mid - range machines ($800 - $1500) did not rate as well as the 430, even at 2 - 3 times the cost.
11 comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Style Name: Elliptical|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine is a beast of a machine! At a shipping weight of 226 pounds, your workout will begin with simply getting it into the house. (Although the lovely man from the shipping company kindly delivered it up our two steps and indoors.) Set up time was about 90 minutes.

The machine is 5'6" in height and is 5'9" long. At the shortest incline setting you are already 1'4" off the ground, so you will need a ceiling height of at least 8' to avoid conking your noggin! My 6'5" husband hopped onto it and realized that he was looking down at the ceiling fan! We quickly moved it to the 10' ceiling portion of our Great Room.

Electronic components: There is an on-board fan that has three settings. It is barely directional, so at my husband's height, it hit him midchest, while at my 5'7" it was a direct face shot. It has an mp3 port, as well as a USB port. The speakers were more than adequate for a workout, but it wouldn't be able to be used as a stereo. The machine came with a short double male ended cord that allowed me to attach my iPhone5. The monitor does need to be plugged in. There's room to program two persons into the saved settings, which will keep track of your personal settings and log your workouts. You can link your workout to an account at Schwinn Connect,and then transfer that data to My Fitness Pal. Initially,I was very excited about this, but after reviewing the steps required, it seems to be must easier to just log the info onto My Fitness Pal the way I always have. There is a ledge that nicely accommodated my Kindle and worked with my daughter's first generation iPad. There is also a cup holder, nice touch.

In use, the machine itself is whisper quiet! Barely a sound at all. There are both moving and stationary arms; the stationary ones feature heart rate monitor hand grips. The pedals do have a tread pattern on them. I tried it in my stocking feet, and I could do it, but I'll probably wear sneakers in the future. I wish it had an adjustable stride length, but I understand that this is a home model, not a gym model.

The resistance buttons are on the control panel, right at your finger tips. There is a marked difference between the highest and lowest resistance levels! However, you must get off to manually adjust the incline. The rollers (beneath the pedals) rest on the bottom track, and they did slip off while we were adjusting the incline. Be careful to make certain you're realigned when adjusting the incline.

This machine is not the $3000 machine you can use at the gym, however it is FAR better than the lower end ones you will find at the big box stores. With a weight limit of 300 pounds, this is indeed a substantial addition to your home gym.
44 comments| 280 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 25, 2014
Day 1: Ran the 'fitness evaluation' program and officially qualified in the Lower Range of the WIMP category <Sigh>
Guess I have some work to do - - but - - that's the idea.
Very sturdy construction, Lots of options, for my purposes is a great value and just what I was looking for.
Construction: I'm NOT a Newbie at putting things together - but still managed to get a few things Bass Ackwards.
I assembled it IN the room where it will be used - a multi-purpose room off the Master Bath
And There it will Stay - because to remove it through the Hallway and door will require some disassembly.
Assembly tips:
It MUST be assembled on a FLAT, LEVEL surface !!
The washers under the Footer-Rail attachment screws are CURVED! Make sure they lie FLUSH before tightening !!
The Levelers under the middle footer rail MUST be fully screwed in! Otherwise the lifter will NOT line up right !!
Put the Upper Shroud on the Mast Bottom BEFORE attaching the Cable
Before attaching the Cable, get ONE screw "D". Connect the Cable and use the screw to secure the Front of the Mast loosely.
This will hold the Mast in place while you get the Other 3 screws installed and tightened down.
Proceeding as above will permit a single person to easily attach the Cable and Mast assembly to the Crankarm Frame.
And finally - the MIDDLE washer on the Static Handlebar is CURVED.
So - - when you take out all 3 screws, make sure you put the curved washer BACK in the right place where it fits.
Assembly took me about 4+ hours working alone. I did NOT rush anything. And - the TV was on :D
review image
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 19, 2013
Style Name: Elliptical|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Wow! This elliptical has all the bells and whistles!
I'll go item by item, since there are so many noteworthy features:

**Ease of Assembly: 5 stars
The manual covered everything, and while it took some time to put together this massive box of parts, everything went smoothly and came out perfectly. For you ladies and smaller people, I was able to put it together completely alone (and am female). You probably won't need help--just some podcasts or music to entertain yourself while assembling this amazing machine, and maybe a camera phone to prove you put it together. Takes a few hours, but the feeling of accomplishment is pretty amazing.

**Features and Settings: 4 stars
You can enter user data with age, height, and gender, to get better and more accurate results. Combined with sensors that let you see your heart rate, you can see what sort of activity you are doing (cardiovascular, fat burning, etc.), BUT the heart rate sensor didn't work so well for me. It kept alternating between 120bpm to 60bpm, which made me mistrust the results altogether since this was with a consistent speed, taken short times apart midway through the exercise. Other features worked great though, like different per-programmed settings such as "walk in the park", which was no such thing! It had hills and such, alternating difficulties in a smooth pattern, while some other workouts were even more challenging. The incline can also be easily adjusted to increase or decrease the overall difficulty.

**Extras: 5 stars
There is a USB port to charge your mobile or tablet device!! You can also plug into the auxiliary port to use the speakers and play music--it even comes with the cable needed! The speakers are pretty loud and clear for something like this, so it's a great add-on! There is also a three-setting fan that works well when you get hot.

**Overall workout: 5 stars
The smooth movement that is easy on your knees combined with so many extra features make this an excellent workout tool, with the quality you would expect from a quality gym. I LOVE this machine!
22 comments| 135 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 1, 2015
If you are looking for an excellent elliptical machine for home then the Schwinn 430 Elliptical machine is for you. I've had Schwinn Airdyne bikes over the years and this is just as heavy duty as them. Here our my thoughts:
ASSEMBLY: Unbox it close to where it will be used. It is a large (6'0" long) heavy (225 lbs) so bringing it up or down stairs assembled would be a challenge. Easy to understand instructions. All parts including fasteners are quality, considering this package was fabricated in China.
QUALITY: This machine by far is of much higher quality then most or all of the machines I looked at before buying this. I got mine thru Amazon for around $570.00 including shipping!
ELECTRONICS: They do the job, but they need better instructions for those not to computer savoy. I use my Fitbit for tracking my workout, so the electronics mean little to me.
SPEAKERS: Adequate for listening to talk radio.
USB PORT: Charges the smart phone while spinning the wheel.
review image review image review image
VINE VOICEon October 26, 2013
Style Name: Elliptical|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a fixed stride length elliptical exercise machine. It is a BIG machine that does not "fold for easy storage," so make sure you want this as a piece of furniture somewhere. Once it is put together, you won't want to move it far. Its shipping weight is well over 200 pounds, so getting all the pieces to where you want to assemble it may be a bit of a challenge. The actual assembly was mostly OK. I did get an arm bar put on backwards, and the plastic cover where the handles attach to the wheel was not easy to assemble. (I had to have my daughter hold up various parts while I tightened screws...this was definitely a two person job.) Several of the screws and holes did not line up easily, and I'd say that a few of the screws should be longer for easier assembly. Once the machine was assembled (be careful NOT to pinch cords), it works fine. The fan is at a good height for my 5'3" frame, though the handlebars don't come back quite far enough to be "perfect." Also, the heart rate monitor is attached only to the "static" handles, so you won't get both moving arms and a heart rate at the same time. The programs seem nice, and setting the console was relatively self explanatory. At of 10/26/2013, the manual was NOT available online as promised, so I expect to call the toll free number for a paper copy. Having a timer and multiple goals available is nice, and this machine definitely will provide more motivation than a non-electronic model. I'm looking forward to using it more after my back stops hurting from all the lifting, pulling, pushing, and toting involved in the assembly process.

I also have to say that I am a little concerned that the rollers are plastic as are the foot pads. These seem like two places that "wear and tear" might have been better considered. There is definitely a dichotomy between the very sturdy metal arms, base, and legs and the plastic console, footpads, and decorative connectors. If you don't mind assembling your own equipment and would like the convenience of a home elliptical machine, this could be an excellent choice for you.
55 comments| 78 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2015
DO NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT!!! We only had this product for 6 months before hearing weird noises during EXERCISE. Apparently the right leg roller had worn so bad it was rubbing on the metal rail. Called customer service and requested a new one (took 1 month to arrive). Installed it and 4 months later the Left leg roller had worn! I'm a fitness professional with 15 years of practice and have never seen this before. I also own a gym, therefore I have seen and used other types of equipment, but this by far doesn't hold up well for an $800 machine (for Home Use). If you're looking for a machine that will hold up for years, this ISN'T THE MACHINE FOR YOU!

Pros- heavy, incline adjustable, resistance capabilities, personal settings
Cons- Rough movement, not built well for serious users (Daily Usage), not worth the long term investment.
review image
44 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 16, 2014
the good
- i paid $600, nice price compared to similar items
- nice features
- it took me almost 4 hours to put it together, by myself, it would have been easier with 2 people

the not so good
- there are already stress marks in the plastic casing in three places, I've only used it 4 times
- the parts don't fit perfectly square, the arm that comes up from the resistance unit is tilted a few degrees, enough to be noticed by the naked eye
- the 20" stride, even though it's one of the longer stride lengths in these units is short, I would probably feel better on a 24 or even 28 inch stride
- it has stated making a clicking noise when I start using it, it goes away after a couple minutes, can't figure out where it is coming from
on November 20, 2013
This is an excellent machine at a super price. Assembly was very easy and took about an hour and a half working alone. I did not use the tools supplied with the unit but chose instead to use my own. Moving parts were already preloaded with grease so lubrication was not needed. All assembly instructions were very clear. Once assembled and checked out, I found the unit to be quiet in operation with a nice solid feel. It is heavy but heavy matters when you weigh around 200 lbs because you do not want the machine moving around and unstable. The speakers are kind of useless but I didn't buy this machine for speakers. I have a wonderful sound system in my home. I wanted a good solid machine for working out at home and this one delivers.