Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on March 11, 2016
This bike does not match the description nor the images posted on amazon. I have brought it to the attension on amazon 3 weeks ago and they still havent take action.
False descriptions
1. The front fork claims to be SR Suntour which is a well known brand. Instead it comes with $15 dollar zoom brand forks made in china. The Suntours are not great but they are valued more and perform a tad better.
2. The tires should be kenda mtb tires but instead they give you cheap china tires innova brand.
3. The crank arms should be suntour instead its really another brand with schwinn written on it.
Overall this bike should be valued ar such a high price anymore due to downgraded parts. This is illegal to see this not matching the discription. Cheap parts on a mtb can cause injury if the product fails. Im done buying chinese made garbage!!!!
86 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
First impression will update over time . I Just received the bike . I am in pretty bad shape but it was no problem to set up . I took my time , read the manual first . Down below the crank you have your serial number . On top is a sticker that says the model , a code for when it was made my was 2015 and the city province and country which is China . Been a long time since Schwinn were made in Chicago . The distributor was from Illinois though . Bike is not a serious mountain bike that is seen in the rear brake being non disc but it does have disc tabs on the back frame for one if you wanted to add it . The shock does squeak like some said . Its the nylon bushings . I went over and tightened everything up . You put on the handlebars ( make sure the cables are routed correct and clear . It has a quick release axle . Make sure the tabs get set into the fork to lock . Peddles went on easy and are always reverse threads do not forget . They were marked left and right . The one thing that frustrated me like others said was there is no nut on the valve stem it can fall into the rim . I kept mine out , infact the first thing I did was fill the tires with 40 pounds of air to make sure they were secure . Planing on finding a nut for them but wish they had . Trigger shifters are fantastic . My bike was set up right and luckily the shipping stress didn't get anything off . I am 5 11 220 pounds and I tightened the rear shock a little more and its perfect for bike trails or the road . I am not going off road myself . This is perfect for me so far as its geared so low even disabled at 60 I can ride it and slow . I never will buy another shifting method after using trigger shifters . I hate even using anything but internal hubs but for the price glad I took a chance on this . Will update when I put some miles on it . Just putting LED flashing lights and I will use a head lamp with a t -6 bulb for nighttime always keeping extra batteries . Oh if anyone knows looking for the seat post size to put a suspension one in . It looks like 31.6 but not sure . I can use a 3 inch extender for the bars too if anyone used one shoot me what worked on this bike for you . I fit it fine as is just trying to adapt for my prior disabilities and sit more upright and take more stress off my spine thats fused and ruptured . God Bless this is a fine bike worth what you pay . Perfect Urban cruiser and park rails for trails bike except for missing fenders . Thats next , at least it had a kickstand . :-) ps I have heard conflicting mentions of the seat post size . I measured mine and its 27.2 . This is a later version different then the one with the suntour branded front fork . that one states 25.2 so check . One guy wrote he had a 31.6 . This does have fender mount holes and disc brake tabs if one wants to add one later . No drink holder tabs but as stated you can drill and they make allot of mounts that do not require drilling .

Update received a suspension seat post . ON MINE IT IS 27.2 MM . Most people do not try this but I have a bad back and this bike is replacing a fat tire one I was hit by a truck on and run over last year . Those 5 inch tires are the best shock obsorber I have found but sadly the bike was unfixable and all others are 4 inch tires and mine which is no longer made was the 5 . Trying to protect my fused spine . The seat post on mine bought here in 2017 and date coded as a 2015 model was 27.2 . Putting a 10 by 8 Cloud 9 seat on her . I already know its my favorite . Says its a ladies model but works for me . The mens is just larger and doesn't fit me as well at 12 by 10 which we found by accident as the prior bike came with the ladies seat new . Now attempting to find a adapter to raise the bars about 6 inches so I can sit back due to my fused cervical spine . I am having trouble with this there is enough slack in the cables to go up 3-4 inches and maybe even back one or two . Trying to get away with using the same brake lines as that would be a real pain the disc in front . Not so bad for the rear cable which by the way can be disengaged in the brush if it tangles with shrubs so be careful . I made sure to fasten the end to keep my cable in seated no matter what . It can be pushed out otherwise though it would be a longshot . It did happen once to me however be careful if putting a toolbag off the seat or other items that can bounce around on a basket for example .
on August 21, 2016
I recently gave my Son my 1990 scott mountain bike for riding to school. So I bought this one as an inexpensive replacement. I did a little research and this was the highest rated bike under $300. It is actually a little more than 300 now on amazon. I got free 2 day delivery with prime. (awesome).
It was extremely well packaged but I did have to tinker a bit with it during assembly which I found to be extremely simple. Took it for a ride today and it is a very solid bike. Looks very good in person. Better than the pictures indicate. I'm used to a hardtail and I have already ordered a stiffer rear shock as I don't like the bouncing while climbing. But I'm 6-1" 225 which I'm sure has something to do with that. The bike does fit me quite well after a few adjustments to the seat and handlebars as with any bike. Sure you may want to do a couple upgrades eventually, but I don't see how you can beat this bike for the price.

Update: I installed the DNM Mountain Bike Air Rear Shock With Lockout 165mm and the bike is now a super-bike. This rear shock took all the bounce out of climbing even with my 225lb frame. I am in love with this bike! Seriously
|11 comment|Report abuse
on October 9, 2016
I am giving this bike 5 stars because you get a lot for the sub $300.00 price point. I bought this through Amazon and it came well packaged with the Schwinn box inside a bigger box. I am not a bike expert but I found the assembly was easy with simple tools. Schwinn says they pre-tuned the bike before partially disassembling it for packaging. I was a little skeptical about this, but I have found that everything seems to work smoothly. I bought this for casual riding on trails and dirt roads, which it handles very well. This is not a bike for rugged terrain. If you want a "real" mountain bike be prepared to pay a lot more. As others have mentioned, the tires and front forks are not what is pictured. Not a big deal given the price point and what you get. It seems solid. It shifts smoothly and brakes well. I am 5'11" and 215. My only complaint is not being able to raise the handlebars high enough to match the seat. Not a big deal. I am replacing them. I also plan on adding a rear disc brake. Schwinn included the mount for it. The bottom line is this is a great bike for the money. I waited until it dropped down to $227 and am very happy with my purchase. I have read elsewhere that this is the highest rated mountain bike for under $300.00. So far, it rates very highly with me.
on September 16, 2016
The bike is great for what it is. Park riding and light trails for under $300. You can't ask for a better setup at that price point. Update! About 2 weeks later this bike dropped to $194. 2 days after that this bike is $347. Crazy! Update November 20. Rear cog is bent. Axle and rear wheel are somewhat bent. No hard riding, just park stuff. I started to like this bike and rode it more often, but just a couple of months and it's not good. If you plan on a couple of times a month to ride, you should be fine for a while. If you want to ride weekly this bike will not last without some upgrades, and that's not really worth it for this bike. Schwinn will send you replacement parts, but it's the same crap parts.
on August 20, 2017
How this is manufactured and passed quality check is beyond my imagination (yes there are two QC labels on the frame)
The two wheel holders are totally unparalleled, since they are welded I have no way to adjust the angle.
I was too busy so didn't talk the bike out of the box until today, and It just passed the return window, I don't know what to do with it.
Contacted customer service with the picture, they said the part is on back order, hopefully I can get a replacement before winter
Will see how it goes.
review image
2 people found this helpful
on February 6, 2015
I needed to get a little exercise so I looked into different types of bicycles. I thought I was going to have to spend $500+ to get a good one. After researching the things you should look for in a good bike I found it difficult to find sellers who ever clearly addressed what you should look for. Schwinn actually did that to some degree. I decided to buy this bike or I was going to have to go to a local dealer who could tell me what I wanted to know. The bike was pretty easy to put together. I spent 45 minutes unpacking, reading instruction and actually putting it together. Not much assembly required, seat, handle bars and front wheel. If you are familiar with these type bicycles you could probably put it together with out instructions. I was just being extra cautious. The best part was when I rode it. Rides and operates very smoothly. The suspension part has a different feel to it. It made for a much smoother ride going across the field behind my house. Once I figured out how to operate the gear changers I was really enjoying the ride. I received several unexpected discounts that really made me feel good. For a 59 year old man I really like this one.
on June 2, 2014
"Some assembly required" - If you're not handy, you may need some help with it. You have to put on the front wheel, handlebars, pedals, and seat. Not hard, but the brake cables were twisted in a weird way and I had to disconnect the brake line in order to correct it. My brakes were also all sorts of misaligned, but it took me about 30 minutes to take them apart and adjust them. Aside from that, the gears were in pretty good shape and I just loosened and tightened them back up just to make sure they were aligned properly.

I have 0 bike repair experience, but I'm definitely more inclined to fix things myself than to ask for help or pay someone.

I got this bike for myself, and got my girlfriend a similarly priced Mongoose. We're not heavy duty riders, but I like to be able to go off-road a bit. I also like the knobby tires on mountain bikes and feel that they're more durable.

Overall, I really like the bike. After a few weeks with it, we've ridden through several parks and traveled 10+ miles on and off trails. I've had very few issues, mainly just adjusting the bike to fit my preferences. I really do like the look of it as well. It's a bit heavy, but you get what you pay for in some aspects. Overall, it's a great value and I'd recommend it.
on June 5, 2018
Let's be realists and admit that this is a nice bike for its price. And we all should very well understand that it is a cheap Chinese bike and nothing more. I just want to dispel any misconception and over-expectations. Although, It has front and rear suspension, that doesn't mean that it will behave like a $5000+ bike with the same features. It may have a disk brake, but it has nothing to do with the expensive hydraulic disk breaks, and so on and, so on...
After more than a year of almost everyday use, I would like to say that the bike does well its job in the city. I am not so brave to ride it in the mountain, though. I almost didn't have any major problems with it. Tried to maintain it frequently and it served me well.... Until a couple of weeks ago, when the seat just snapped off (see the picture). Just like that. I use that bike in the city only and I do not make any special tricks with it. Also, I weigh 176 lb (80 kg). I would blame the relatively short seat post for that. As you can see, the post has been barely attached to the frame and after an year the aluminum just gave up. My fault is that I didn't check its length in time and this is the result. Therefore, if you plan to use your seat in a similar position, make sure that you replace the original seat post with a longer one and you should not have any problems.
Other than that, the bike is really nice... for the price :)
review image
on August 23, 2017
This is a great bicycle. Local shops are selling mountain bikes for a lot more money, and I just ride for fun in local parks. Looks beautiful with the red and white scheme, and the front and rear suspensions work great for my needs. I am 5'9" 200lbs and it suits me fine. I did install a handlebar riser which resulted in a much more comfortable riding position. If you are doing hardcore mountain biking in rugged terrain you will not want the handlebar riser, but then in that case you will want this bike. This is more for casual trail riding. Fairly easy to assemble, but I had to adjust the brake cables a bit, now they work amazing. I also added a seat pad for extra padding. If you are not handy with tools, take it to a local bike shop for assembly and tuning. Oh, mine came with a kickstand, which was a welcome surprise. Only four stars because the seat is really small and hard.
One person found this helpful