Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Russell Dickerson PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Science of Breath
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 31, 2016
A lot of great knowledge in this book, I highly recommend it. I will be doing the exercises in this book, already started actually, and I honestly never thought that breathing in the ways this book suggests could make me feel so incredible in a short time. The breathing exercises are already helping me a great deal with some mental health conditions; depression, OCD, PTSD...I have finally found a great way for me to quiet my mind.
on May 26, 2011
This little book, written more than 100 years ago, has become an anchor in my spiritual library. It's wisdom is ageless and ir's practices have enriched my life. I read it initially as I began work toward healing after decades of chronic debilitating pain and was surprised to find how it spiritually empowering as it charted a path toward health and healing.
A must read for healers and those seeking healing power within themselves!
on October 2, 2017
As an experienced practitioner of meditation and conscious breathing, I found this book to be an excellent reinforcement and overview of timeless practices. It is a quick read, easily understood, and includes step-by-step instructions on each practice.
on September 7, 2015
This is a well written introduction to yogic pranayama with lots of info describing the physiological aspects of proper breathing, as well as the esoteric yoga teachings. Highly recommended.
on April 29, 2013
My wife and I got interested in Swami Rama's book after reading the paperback edition of "Living with the Himalayan Masters". After that we decided to read all his books.

My wife has learnt yoga and also done a certificate course from a reputed Yoga Institute near our home. As per her, the book is very good for laymen like me.

I am a hardcore maintenance engineer and usually believe in tangible things and yet this book has got me thinking about the 'other' way of looking at life.

The book by itself is very clear in its writing and has got me interested in knowing more and practicing yoga and 'prana' .

A must for anyone is today's stressed out world. More than social networking where more than 97% of the people you are interacting with are the ones you really did not want to be in touch with, what one needs is to 'network' with one's own self and find peace and tranquility.

Balachander
on November 19, 2012
I found this book and others from this author after reading the Kabalion by the Three Initiates,. I was blown away with the reasoning for natural breath especially since I have been practicing yoga for about 3 years. It totally makes sense. There are no coincidences, so if you have discovered this book, read it an apply it as much as possible. I haven't done all the excercises yet, but I am learning to breathe better each day.
on March 20, 2017
Never knew or understood the science behind the different structures in our Nose. Beautifully and Scientifically explained in this book. Highly recommend this book for every practitioner of Yoga and Meditation.
on March 29, 2017
Very instructional book. Ordered it as a gift for a friend as well.
on December 16, 2006
This is an excellent beginning book on breathing for anyone who is interested in yoga. It covers the importance of breathing, basic respiratory physiology and the relationship between science and yoga.

The authors of this book are credible and have excellent professional credentials and established practices. They are associated with the Himalayan Institute in Honesdale, PA that has a long standing commitment to getting science, modern psychology and yoga together. Many of their publications are excellent and certainly this one is as well.

I think any yoga practioner at any level will benefit from this book and even very experienced people will learn a lot. As the title suggests, this book focuses on the practical aspects of breathing and provides a good foundation or launching point for moving on to pranayama practice. However, the value add is the tie in to modern science.

As part of my living, I do workshops on such topics as meditation, pranayama and biofeedback, loving-kindness practices and other topics that integrate East and West. Before becoming involved in psychology and spirituality, I was both a research scientist and Teaching Fellow in Physiology. While I am not an expert at respiratory physiology or a top pranayama practioner, I have an established yoga practice and enough expertise to judge the merit of this book.

If you are serious about the breath and especially about pranayama, I would pick up "Light on Pranayama" by B.K.S. Iyengar. This book is very comprehensive and covers the physiology of the various breathing practices in great depth. If you are looking at breating for relaxation, you may also want to consider some of the meditation resources listed on my listmania lists. I also have a yoga resource list that might be helpful for those interested in pranayama. Another book in the pranayama vein that is quite popular is "The Yoga of Breath" by Richard Rosen.

In summary, this is a good book on the basics of breathing as a foundation for a yoga practice. It provides the basic concepts required to move on to more advanced breathing techniques such as pranayama.
on October 31, 2015
I bought this book when I first began learning about the importance of breath. I did not know how significant it was until reading this. I employ the suggestions regularly and have noticed an improved quality of life. I am conscious of my breathing now and I feel like it has made a world of difference to me! The book is small, you can get through it really fast so you can apply the techniques right away! Great book and great information! I am very happy I bought it and take it everywhere with me!