Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on August 14, 2016
Are the majority of these experiments something you could do yourself with some citric acid and baking soda? Absolutely. In fact, my daughter used some of my household supply to extend an experiment she had done in the kit.
Sure, you can make your own red cabbage extract... but if you are like me, you won't. Because you did for a homeschool experiment 10 years ago with your oldest child, and you still remember what a horrible mess it was.
Some of the experiments are repetitive, but that's a good thing for early childhood.
And cornstarch and water? Everyone knows that one. (if you don't, google it. Too much fun to miss).

But the point is, I had not done any of these experiments with my daughter until we got this box. This has everything in one box, with all the equipment-- including a stand for the test tubes, which another review didn't have for some reason. (And get a little bag superabsorbent polymers, too. Those little buggers are fun but somehow end up everywhere). It's fun, it's easy, there are some experiments that require patience, which is really good for this age group. We are most of the way through the kit, doing maybe three experiments a week, and now I am shopping for more kits. Because even though I have the equipment, the books, and the education to diy the whole thing... the kit is easy, fun, and we actually DO it.
389 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on December 14, 2015
This is a Pre-Christmas review designed to show the quality of packaging, whether the items come complete and undamaged and what, if any, extra items might be needed for it to function. After Christmas I'll update this review with more details and photos in use.
This came well packaged and in good condition with no missing items.
You will need some extra items to do some of the experiments. Most will be around the house but I deducted a star since there are so many.

Extra Items Needed:

Water & Other Safe Household Liquids(?)
Grape Juice(Not White)
Flour
review imagereview image
323 people found this helpful
on December 25, 2015
My 8 year old had so much fun on Christmas Day with this.
87 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 30, 2016
I take away 1 star just because it wasn't really clear on the product page or box what ages this item was suitable for. It's "My FIRST" science kit so I got it for my 5 year old nephew. Once I got it and looked inside, the clearest age recommendation is on the front of the enclosed instruction manual and states that it's for "6+". The detailed product page info says (I see now) "4+". I do think that my 5 year old (preschool-enrolled) nephew will be able to enjoy it with our help.I think that most kids 5 and up should be able to use this with (of course) adult supervision. Older kids (maybe 7, 8 and up) would get the most out of this because it will be more educational for them (versus just being fun).

The best thing about this kit is that there is quite a bit included & the main ingredients are pretty safe for kids.

Most of the other things needed to do "experiments" with this are simple to get (bowls, plates, measuring cups, etc.) but for the price, I was surprised that other things (masking tape and coffee filters) were not included.

The price is pretty good and this is going to be a nice intro to my nephew to get him interested in science as something that can be fun.
21 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2016
This is the most kid friendly and fun lab kit you can get. My kids are ages 2 and 4 and cannot get enough of this. Everything in the kit is high-quality, and this kit lasts a very long time. We have done these experiments over and over for 3 months and only recently have used an entire bag of something. I admit to even being impressed by how cool the activities are. This is worth every single penny. I will 100% be ordering another kit when we deplete all the things in ours.
59 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Got this for my 8 year old nephew and it was a big hit! The experiments are short, with results achieved quickly, everything you need is included so there is no need to look or buy extra items and containers like some kits require. The instructions encourage children to make predictions, and really think about what is happening. Adults and children ages 5 - 65 at my sisters had lots of fun observing my nephew do the "magic" lol and there's plenty of material, so experiments can be done over and over.
5 people found this helpful
on January 20, 2018
This science kit is perfect for my son. I got it for his 6th birthday and we've been having so much fun doing the experiments. It came with nearly all of the supplies except for simple things you have in your home like baking flour and water. Other kits I've bought have required so many other items which we didn't have, this one is so easy to use. He loves using the test tubes, the dropper, measuring out the components with the scoopers. He said it makes him feel like a real scientist. His 4 year old sister likes doing experiments too. This is the best kit to buy for a young child. So easy for them AND for you.
4 people found this helpful
on March 3, 2016
I did my review research in trying to find the perfect science kit as a gift for a seven year old. Lots of these review say "this kit includes all stuff you can find at home", but as I thought about it....who cares if it's all stuff you have at home, the exciting part for a seven year old is recieving this big colorful box of his very own science stuff! Well, he loved it, I mean all the boys at the party loved it! Well worth the cost and so much cheaper then the little sets at toys r us! I was surprised how much stuff came in the box to explore with!
17 people found this helpful
on October 7, 2017
This is an easy and fun kit to learn about science. Got it for a five year old. The concepts are easy to follow and so are the directions. Everything is pretty much provided in the kit in order to make the science experiments with the exception of some ingredients like vinegar or other acidic ingredients that can be easily found in one's pantry or fridge. You will need one paper plate and some Ziploc bags to store the powders provided after opening the package. For example - baking soda. Overall, we've enjoyed this science kit. My five year old asks to make a science experiment each day! Very fun and educational.
2 people found this helpful
on September 25, 2017
This science kit is ok. My kids LOVED it, but to me it was a little redundant. A lot of the experiments had to do with how color changes and growing jiggly crystals... It's not mind blowing, but it was fun for the kids (ages 9 and 5). I bought it for my daughter's birthday, because she wanted a science kit that was on a commercial, that was way more expensive and with way less experiments. I got this as a cheaper alternative that would allow her to do more. I'm very happy I got this kit instead of the one she asked for! I would definitely purchase again and recommend it!
2 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.