Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 1, 2017
Leaving one star so this is easier to find and honestly shouldn’t be an issue. Tough review because it works great, so long as you remove the plastic tip and run hot water to clean in out before using. The first one I purchased I thought was defective because it came out like a jet spray. I’ve used products like this in the past and knew it should have been more like a mist. After they sent me a new one (free of charge without returning defective one, which was nice) the second did the exact same thing. I ventured into the reviews and FAQ section only to find other buyers have already mentioned this issue. So long as you run hot water through the plastic tip it works great but hopefully others will read this before use.
52 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on January 16, 2016
UPDATE: After two months, I noticed that my daughters boots have no salt stains on them, while my girlfriend's boots that weren't treated did have stains (see photo). Any marks also very easily come off just by dabbing with a damp paper towels. I am very satisfied with the protection that this spray offers.

I bought this product to weather proof the Bearclaw Emma Tall suede boots that I bought her for Christmas. My girlfriend was given a pair of black suede wedge heeled boots for Christmas. My son also received a pair of Eddie Bauer nubuck boots. With this single can I was able to thoroughly treat all three pairs of boots.

When I applied the scotch guard to the boots, I sprayed each pair with two moderate coats. I sprayed as directed from about 6" away, and in a manner to ensure that I had complete coverage. In order to get the best application do not spray outside. The slightest wind affects the spray, and prevents good application. This will waste some spray and require more for full application.

The directions state to check for color fastness in a concealed area, but the boots I was spraying did not have any such test area. The potential problem is not with the spray, but if used on suede or nubuck that is not dyed properly or cheaply, then it is likely to change color, or bleed.
94 people found this helpful
on October 23, 2016
Take back everything I said before. No water got through this stuff
27 people found this helpful
on November 3, 2015
This works great on suede. However, be careful not to get this on smooth finished leather. It will dry the leather out and leave it looking chapped. I was cleaning up all my boots for the winter and was using this product on all of them. I have a bomber style pair of Uggs with smooth brown leather and this really dried them out and I was afraid I'd ruined them. I got some leather moisturizer and it brought them back to life. It pays to read the entire can. ;)
22 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
I bought this spray last year to protect my suede and nubuck boots, shoes, and a few other things. My can was one of those that seemed to spray in a stream rather than a mist but I ran the tip under hot water for a while and shook the can well and the stream wasn't so bad after that. It still wasn't a fine mist though.

Despite that. this Scotchguard protector did a good job on my items and was easy to use. The scent isn't great but not eye wateringly awful. I was so afraid it would stain my lighter colored boots but, even though they looked darker when I applied the protector, once dry, they were fine. No staining and no discoloration. It's time to use the spray again and, along with the Shacke Suede & Nubuck 4-Way Leather Brush Cleaner I bought, my boots and shoes will stay looking good through this winter as well.

The can changed a bit as far as design since when I bought it but it's the same stuff. It works well but I do wish it could make my items waterproof. It does help repel water but by no means does it waterproof my boots and shoes so I just stay away from puddles and weta areas if possible. Salt stains are greatly diminished though and we use salt here in New York very early in the year until spring so that is a major plus. I will buy more of this product when I run out.
18 people found this helpful
on January 27, 2013
Just a heads up, if you are spraying your leather item outside, I would suggest using some cardboard or a tarp to prevent over-spray. As a testament to staying power, my wife sprayed a pair of shoes with this about six months ago, when it rains the water-proofed outline of her shoes shows up on our deck as the wood doesn't absorb water and change color in those places.
275 people found this helpful
|22 comments|Report abuse
on June 3, 2016
I purchased a very expensive pair of nu buck dove grey boots and wanted to scotch guard them. I was so very worried that the spray would darken the nu buck or change the texture. I did a spot test of the inside of the boot near the zipper and had a minor heart attack when the grey darkened into slate! Not to worry. Given ample drying time, the product dries and the nu buck was restored to its original color. I then applied the product to my boots - by the next morning, my boots had returned to their original color with no change to the texture of the nu buck. I applied a second coat with the same great results. This product is great!
12 people found this helpful
on October 27, 2014
The bottle sprays fine for me. Also didn't discolor my shoes. I have applied two coats and feel like I am only halfway thru the bottle. However, I have yet to wear them in the rain.

Quick Tip: When done using, hold the can upside down and spray it until only air comes out. This will clean the nozzle and keep it working as designed. This also works to keep spray paint nozzles clean.
108 people found this helpful
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 22, 2018
Did not like this product. The boots I wanted to use the product on, I did a test spot first and saw that the color of my suede rubbed off with this product so I did not use it on these boots.
Then I decided I could at least use them on my older boots but when I went to apply the product the bottle sprayed out like a jet stream, no matter what amount of pressure, angle, or distance I sprayed from, it came out like a jet stream leaving streaky lines all over my boot.
When it dried, some of the lines faded away, but did not completely fade away :(
3 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 1, 2016
I bought this spray for my Fiance's new suede Puma shoes that he had recently bought. I sort of have mixed feelings about the results. I did start by doing the spot test and saw no color bleeding so I proceeded to spray the first pair as instructed on the back of the can. I also did read that it said it may make your shoe "slightly" darker. After spraying his shoes I noticed that they did indeed look darker but I feel like it's a lot more than "slightly". They got really dark and they look as if they are still wet. I read some reviews that said after 24hrs the color returned light again but that's not the case here. The shoes don't look bad so to speak but I feel like the shoe looked better prior to applying this product....
4 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.