Industrial Deals Magazine Deals Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Country Heat GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now Start your Baby Registry

The manufacturer commented on the review below
on December 1, 2017
Leaving one star so this is easier to find and honestly shouldn’t be an issue. Tough review because it works great, so long as you remove the plastic tip and run hot water to clean in out before using. The first one I purchased I thought was defective because it came out like a jet spray. I’ve used products like this in the past and knew it should have been more like a mist. After they sent me a new one (free of charge without returning defective one, which was nice) the second did the exact same thing. I ventured into the reviews and FAQ section only to find other buyers have already mentioned this issue. So long as you run hot water through the plastic tip it works great but hopefully others will read this before use.
22 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 16, 2016
UPDATE: After two months, I noticed that my daughters boots have no salt stains on them, while my girlfriend's boots that weren't treated did have stains (see photo). Any marks also very easily come off just by dabbing with a damp paper towels. I am very satisfied with the protection that this spray offers.

I bought this product to weather proof the Bearclaw Emma Tall suede boots that I bought her for Christmas. My girlfriend was given a pair of black suede wedge heeled boots for Christmas. My son also received a pair of Eddie Bauer nubuck boots. With this single can I was able to thoroughly treat all three pairs of boots.

When I applied the scotch guard to the boots, I sprayed each pair with two moderate coats. I sprayed as directed from about 6" away, and in a manner to ensure that I had complete coverage. In order to get the best application do not spray outside. The slightest wind affects the spray, and prevents good application. This will waste some spray and require more for full application.

The directions state to check for color fastness in a concealed area, but the boots I was spraying did not have any such test area. The potential problem is not with the spray, but if used on suede or nubuck that is not dyed properly or cheaply, then it is likely to change color, or bleed.
review image
0Comment| 93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 23, 2016
Take back everything I said before. No water got through this stuff
on November 3, 2015
This works great on suede. However, be careful not to get this on smooth finished leather. It will dry the leather out and leave it looking chapped. I was cleaning up all my boots for the winter and was using this product on all of them. I have a bomber style pair of Uggs with smooth brown leather and this really dried them out and I was afraid I'd ruined them. I got some leather moisturizer and it brought them back to life. It pays to read the entire can. ;)
on January 27, 2013
Just a heads up, if you are spraying your leather item outside, I would suggest using some cardboard or a tarp to prevent over-spray. As a testament to staying power, my wife sprayed a pair of shoes with this about six months ago, when it rains the water-proofed outline of her shoes shows up on our deck as the wood doesn't absorb water and change color in those places.
22 comments| 273 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 50 REVIEWERon November 5, 2016
I bought this spray last year to protect my suede and nubuck boots, shoes, and a few other things. My can was one of those that seemed to spray in a stream rather than a mist but I ran the tip under hot water for a while and shook the can well and the stream wasn't so bad after that. It still wasn't a fine mist though.

Despite that. this Scotchguard protector did a good job on my items and was easy to use. The scent isn't great but not eye wateringly awful. I was so afraid it would stain my lighter colored boots but, even though they looked darker when I applied the protector, once dry, they were fine. No staining and no discoloration. It's time to use the spray again and, along with the Shacke Suede & Nubuck 4-Way Leather Brush Cleaner I bought, my boots and shoes will stay looking good through this winter as well.

The can changed a bit as far as design since when I bought it but it's the same stuff. It works well but I do wish it could make my items waterproof. It does help repel water but by no means does it waterproof my boots and shoes so I just stay away from puddles and weta areas if possible. Salt stains are greatly diminished though and we use salt here in New York very early in the year until spring so that is a major plus. I will buy more of this product when I run out.
on February 3, 2017
It is impossible to get full, even spray coverage with this product. It comes out in a narrow (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch) stream, instead of a wide angle spray like the other brands I have used. This leaves only streaky partial coverage on the item, in this case suede booties, and requires a huge excess of product to get only this poor coverage. This may be on purpose by the manufacturer, or just a poor nozzle design. Yes, I followed all the instructions to the letter! But both cans were the same. One of the cans was only partially full, so I don't trust this vendor. If you still want to try it, plan on one can per pair of shoes, around $9.00. It is cheaper to have it done at the shoe repair shop.
on June 3, 2016
I purchased a very expensive pair of nu buck dove grey boots and wanted to scotch guard them. I was so very worried that the spray would darken the nu buck or change the texture. I did a spot test of the inside of the boot near the zipper and had a minor heart attack when the grey darkened into slate! Not to worry. Given ample drying time, the product dries and the nu buck was restored to its original color. I then applied the product to my boots - by the next morning, my boots had returned to their original color with no change to the texture of the nu buck. I applied a second coat with the same great results. This product is great!
on January 4, 2017
Do NOT under any circumstance use this on Timberlands.

This is a very heavy product and completely saturated my shoes. I cleaned and sprayed my shoes and left them to sit overnight. At first, I thought the product wasn't dry so I used my hair dryer. That's when I realized it wasn't wet. The product stained my shoes. This junk has made my boots blotchy and streaky. My less than a year old shoes are ruined. I've never experienced this issue with this type of product before. I will never again purchase a shoe protectant that doesn't come from a shoe store. This Scotchgard product is trash.
review imagereview image
0Comment| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 27, 2014
The bottle sprays fine for me. Also didn't discolor my shoes. I have applied two coats and feel like I am only halfway thru the bottle. However, I have yet to wear them in the rain.

Quick Tip: When done using, hold the can upside down and spray it until only air comes out. This will clean the nozzle and keep it working as designed. This also works to keep spray paint nozzles clean.
0Comment| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.