Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Shop Now STEM

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 231 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 31, 2007 7:05:43 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2008 1:27:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2007 12:12:22 AM PDT
My2Cents says:
I have to admit I agree with you. He's making it very difficult to listen to the story. I just finished disc 2 and I'm thinking I may have to hunker down and get the book instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 3, 2007 9:32:23 PM PDT
T. McDaniel says:
You've got to be kidding! I love this guy! I could listen to him 24 hours a day. Sometimes if I'm waffeling on a book and I see he's narrating I'll get it just to hear him read it. He totally keeps me interested - I just want to meet him so I can listen to him talk in person!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2007 10:00:25 AM PDT
Steve Kelem says:
I disagree strongly. Scott Brick is one of the best narrators/story-tellers around. His narration brings the written word to life!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2007 9:42:07 PM PDT
Mystery Fan says:
I agree with T. McDaniel and Steve Kelem. Scott Brick makes a book come alive. He made it seem that you were there as it was happening. I, too, listen to new authors and books just because he narrates them.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2008 4:03:41 PM PDT
R. Peterson says:
Oh no, I love Scott Brick. In fact, I chose the audiobook of The Devil in White City over the book, book because he was the narrator. I especially think he does a great job reading non fiction, which I usually find hard to enjoy as an audiobook.

Posted on Mar 16, 2009 5:57:07 PM PDT
Maybe give Scott Brick a little more listening time? I think he's great in Devil in the White City.

When I first heard Scott Brick in the audiobook, Spin, I absolutely hated his narration, but half way through the book I changed my mind and liked his narration. When I finished the book, I found myself buying more audio books by Scott Brick. Now, I only buy audio books that are narrated by Scott Brick.

Posted on Apr 10, 2009 11:22:29 AM PDT
K. Sims says:
I hope he gets better. I'm on the second disk and right now I just can't stand the breathless intonation he gives the characters. They sound like the know-it-all yuppies you find and ignore at cocktail parties. I'll give it the rest of the book however before giving him the heave-ho on other books.

Posted on Aug 17, 2009 5:03:14 PM PDT
SDVEGAN says:
Scott Brick seems to be a narrator people either love or hate. I happen to hate his work. I don't say that lightly. If I see that a book is narrated by him, no matter how much I want to hear it, I just can't bring myself to listen. His cadence is sing-songy and the way he intonates certain words, such as "any" and "many" drives me up a wall. I wish him well, but I also wish he didn't narrate so many books I want to listen to!

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 8:03:41 PM PDT
M. Ring says:
I happen to agree. I can barely listen to him with non-fiction and can tolerate him not at all with fiction. He over empathizing everything. I actually did a google search "Scott Brick sucks" just to find this forum.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 12:08:36 PM PST
Mud Puppy says:
Yeah, he is the most popular book reader on earth cuz he sucks....

And Elvis was unable to fill a concert hall

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 4:49:00 PM PST
Ha! I googled "Scott Brick sucks" too! I friggin can't stand that guy. Every book sounds exactly the same and you can tell when he reads he thinks he's the brightest ruby on earth. And now I just got "In Defense Of Food," which I was really looking forward to hearing, until I saw that he read it. I think people that like him must be nancies that find news casters fascinating as well. He doesn't read books like they're meant to be read.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2010 3:34:06 PM PDT
Plaasjapie says:
I also googled "Scott Brick sucks".
I hate him, he ruins all the books he reads.

Posted on Apr 11, 2010 10:39:43 AM PDT
M. Scanlon says:
Scott Brick ruins the audiobooks - overly dramatic tonation, song-and-dance style reading - makes me want to eject the CD and buy the book.

I have listened to about five books read by him, and now strongly consider not buying the CD book if this clown is reading it.

Posted on May 12, 2010 3:31:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 12, 2010 3:34:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 20, 2010 4:34:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Feb 3, 2012 2:44:04 AM PST
RSH says:
I have heard one narrator that was worse (Jeff Guinn) but after listening to audio for over two decades, there is no question Scott Brick is truly terrible. That he's paid well and quite popular is similar to Britney Spears. She also makes money with minimal skills. It's hard to say whether the people who like Brick can't hear the difference between his "overly dramatic tonation, song-and-dance style reading" (to quote M Scanlon) and the gifted work by Frank Muller, George Guidall, John Lee, Dion Graham, Humphrey Bower, Simon Vance, etc. and among authors, both Neil Gaiman and Stephen King.

An acquaintance refers to Scott Brick's damage as "bricking" a book; just as electronic devices can be rendered useless. I simply will not purchase anything narrated by such a talentless hack.

Posted on Jun 22, 2010 5:14:57 PM PDT
I listen to eight hours a day of audio book and Scott Brick is the one narrator I refuse to tolerate. After disliking his intonation for several books I finally gave up after buying and listening to the Bourne Trilogy. I loved reading those books, and I enjoyed the movies with Matt Damon, but I could not listen to him regardless of the prose. I wish only good luck to him but wish he would retire soon.

Posted on Aug 28, 2010 7:59:18 PM PDT
R. Davidson says:
Scott Brick detracts from the enjoyment of any audio book he narrates. Bad bad bad bad bad.

Posted on Sep 7, 2010 9:40:43 PM PDT
Jonah McLean says:
Just knowing I am not alone in my opinion makes me feel better. I was trying to describe his reading style to someone just yesterday. 'Imagine using a voice that conveyed a long-suffering, drawn and weary, overly dramatic and bitter emotional scene. Now imagine projecting that voice onto all the characters from the books you narrate.'
From a 2004 interview: "I guess I won't be happy until I'm recording every book published!" ... Let's hope he fails to attain happiness! Long Live Roy Dotrice!
"An acquaintance refers to Scott Brick's damage as "bricking" a book; just as electronic devices can be rendered useless." That is brilliant, Maxine.

Posted on Sep 13, 2010 1:10:42 AM PDT
A. Janze says:
I googled "Scott Brick Sucks" too. I just started Hunters of Dune and I think I'm going to have to actually read the book. To be honest, I thought his overly dramatic and breathy tone was appropriate for the occasional prechapter blurbs he read in previous Dune books - like the ones ascribed to Leto the God Emperor...but when an entire book is read that way it's just too, too much. A narrator needs to be neutral (but interesting) and emote as needed. When an entire book is read with one emotion it becomes undramatic and flat...and in this case cloying and irritating. Simon Vance is exponentially better at reading the Dune books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2010 4:06:36 AM PDT
RSH says:
If you purchased the book through Audible, call their customer service. Ask if they will please refund your credit and delete the book from your library. If enough people take this simple step, eventually the publishers will realize Scott Brick is bad for business.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2010 4:27:23 PM PDT
Completely agree, with the conclusion and your reasoning. Brick reads like a semi-literate. He's plodding, over-emphasizes all punctuation, and confuses melodrama with drama. God, he's so awful. People who argue that "he can't be bad if he's so popular" must be ready to award Dan Brown the Pulitzer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2010 10:50:35 PM PST
If he's the narrator..........I will go real or kindle...he could be the best thing that ever happened to kindle.

Posted on Jan 4, 2011 1:27:54 PM PST
I was given the audiobook of Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow for Christmas. It is 33 CDs long and I'm listening to it in the car. It is taking me forever to get through each disc because of Scott Brick's breathy, sing-songy, melodramatic style that lulls the listener into a semi-comatose state. I find myself constantly backing up the disc, as everything the guy reads winds up going in one ear and out the other, and I have never had this problem with audiobooks before. My conclusion is that if you are looking for an audiobook to help cure your insomnia, Brick is your man, but if you actually want to remember all of the FACTS in a work of non-fiction, it's pure frustration. At the rate I'm going, I'll be finished with Washington somewhere around the new year...2012.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2011 5:21:26 PM PST
mamasunset says:
I just googled "I hate Scott Brick" to see if anyone else agrees with me. Hurray! I do not purchase an audio book if Brick is the narrator. I agree that his cadence is dreadfully annoying, and his mispronounciation(s) of foreign words are inexcusable. I see I am way behind in reading this forum. I am pleased to know I am not alone. A truly dreadful thing would be Scott Brick reading Dan Brown. LOL Well, you cannot argue over matters of taste.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  115
Total posts:  231
Initial post:  Jul 31, 2007
Latest post:  5 days ago

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about