BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch $5 Albums $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on February 2, 2013
We added this to our collection of family game night games as my 9yr old(& husband) are dyslexic, after 2mos I truly see an improvement, albeit small, in his spelling/reading skills. This game gets played weekly, the games are short and therefore we are able to play a few games and most nights everyone can win at least once, it also leaves time for another game of our choosing. The kids love that, when this one is pulled out, we can play a few games of scrabble soup AND still have time for monopoly or battleship(or whatever). I love that they are learning and don't even realize it!

I have a 12yr old daughter, 9yr old son, and us(the 13mos old doesn't really count on game night-she just comes for the finger food ;-))...we can all find a word at our own level-kinda. Although it was difficult convincing the 9yr old that he didn't want to pick the biggest word on the card-however when he realized he could win faster, all was well.

I can't wait until the 13mos old can start playing with us, I expect to see more advanced reading and spelling skills from the start, this game is truly an educational gem!
on April 16, 2014
This game is only fair, if you play by the given rules. However, there is so much you can do with it. The quality of the product is very nice (hard letter tiles & a plastic pot & ladles), so we have been playing our own versions of games - from letter bingo to modified versions of the original game.
on June 14, 2017
I have an 8 and 4 year old and both kids love this game. It is highly requested in game night and is educational!! (Double win)
on October 16, 2017
My grandchildren love this game
on January 2, 2013
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my 5 year old son. It's been played with every day since then. It's a great tool for teaching letter sounds and beginning reading. I love how the game cards have simple to harder words on them for varying reading levels. I love seeing my son try to sound out words and read them. The only complaint I have is that the lid doesn't snap on the bottom. It's loose, so you have to be sure it stays upright on a shelf or else everything falls out. I've put an giant elastic band around the handles and over the lid to hold it secure. It doesn't look great, but it does the trick. Just be careful if you have younger ones around, there are small pieces and if you use the elastic band, it could be a hazardous. I would not buy this game again, only because of the poor design of the pot.
on March 9, 2015
I thought this would be a great game for my first grade class, but I was very disappointed with it! The letter tiles that it comes with barely cover the bottom of the bowl, not at all full like in the picture.
on April 9, 2014
Everybody with kids knows that there are countless ways: cheap, expensive, utilitarian, novel, etc., to teach/practice basic language skills. This, which I gave as a gift, is another spin on that. What irks me most is the slight dimensional shortcomings of the game components. The tub is about a half inch too shallow and about a half inch deficient in diameter to hold the scoops, cards, and tiles. The separate top to the tub just perches, slightly askew over the tub. Even if the top sat properly, there's no threading to screw the top down to make a nice, secure, functional storage container. In that regard, so little could add so much. As it is, the tiles are small enough to be a choking hazard and the container design all but assures that game pieces will get lost. Both issues could be at least reduced by a screw-on (preferably) or snap-on lid. Also, games in boxes can at least be stacked. This one obviously can't. And once it topples, the entire contents scatter all over the place, exacerbating the problem with little ones putting pieces in their mouths and lost game pieces.
on July 7, 2017
What a fun little game for early learners! It's nice that we can all play together will different challenge levels in the same game.
on November 7, 2014
I gave this game to my kids as a family Christmas present last year and it is easy enough for them (ages 4-10) to play alone. I often play with them but it is nice to be able to pull it out when prepping a meal etc. I purchased these 2 sets for two teachers at our school as a donation and they love using it for their reading, vocabulary, spelling groups. Both teachers had never seen the game so it was a big win. Being used in Grade 1 and Grade 2.
on March 30, 2015
My son seems to really enjoy this he is happy to try to beat me in spelling words. Its a really cute idea to encourage spelling and is very well made. It only comes with 72 cards however and tho is the reason I am taking a star away, I feel like there should be more word options.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.