- File Size: 509 KB
- Print Length: 234 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 0060652896
- Publisher: HarperCollins e-books; Reprint edition (May 28, 2009)
- Publication Date: June 2, 2009
- Sold by: HarperCollins Publishers
- Language: English
- ASIN: B002BD2V2Y
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Not Enabled
Amazon Best Sellers Rank:
#3,716 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #1 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Christian > Classics & Allegories
- #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies & Reference > Christian Literature & Art
- #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Religious
|Print List Price:||$14.99|
Save $7.00 (47%)
Price set by seller.
The Screwtape Letters Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 234 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Switch back and forth between reading the Kindle book and listening to the Audible narration with Whispersync for Voice. Add narration for a reduced price of $6.99 when you buy the Kindle book.
Matchbook Price: $2.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
Kindle e-ReadersFire TabletsFire Phones
See the Best Books of the Month
Want to know our Editors' picks for the best books of the month? Browse Best Books of the Month, featuring our favorite new books in more than a dozen categories.
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
I was a Christian for 12+ years before I picked up this little volume and it was of inestimable worth for me, but I regretted not having read it much sooner.
It's one of those books (like E. L. Prentiss's "Stepping Heavenward") that feels like it was written JUST for you. "Screwtape Letters" has that same feel - that C. S. Lewis crawled into your consciousness and described every mental battle you've ever had - and explains that those subtle arguments which steered you away from spiritual growth, were cleverly disguised devilish whispers. As Lewis points out, the path to hell is a gentle slope.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn how to differentiate between God's thoughts and the lies of evil. "Screwtape Letters" pulls back the curtain and reveals evil's best kept secrets and oh-so subtle tricks.
"Screwtape" I told her, "is letters from a senior devil to a junior devil - and it's the funniest thing C.S. Lewis ever wrote - Have you heard of C.S. Lewis?" I asked. "No? Well he authored `Narnia.' (Neither of us has seen the movie yet.)
I told her 'Screwtape' is funny because (like all good humor) it seems so TRUE. Or at least you want to BELIEVE it's real, as `Screwtape' the experienced devil coaches his nephew `Wormwood' in his first assigned task: to "secure the damnation" of his 'patient' -- a young man who has just become a Christian.
As with "Narnia," the story unfolds in wartime (WWII) England. That's a long time ago for someone 21 years old and "I'm really interested" I said "to find out if the 'dialogue' of this book still speaks to someone your age."
"Personally, I think it would make good movie" I said. "It has been made into a talking book - read, I think, by John Cleese - the funny guy who starred in the movie `A Fish Called Wanda" - I read somewhere he's recorded a version of `Screwtape.' "
So . . after loaning that copy of "Screwtape" today, I opened, at random, my OTHER copy -- it fell open to page 24 -- and I re-discovered why I've loved this book so much for so many years.Read more ›
Lewis does not propose any concrete doctrine on devils here, and this is not his point. Rather he focuses on highlighting the ways, both large and small, that Christians are distracted from God. Lewis explores the dangers of not being purposeful toward God and life, as well as what happens to people when they give in to temptation.
The book is presented as a collection of letters, all from Screwtape to Wormwood. But Lewis does a good job of making the conversation not feel one-sided, and he does a fantastic job with the devils' personalities. In fact the book is rather deeper than this, as there are two other plots going on. First is the fate of Wormwood's man. Second is the relationship between the devils, and the fate of Wormwood.
The Screwtape Letters is deeper than it appears, and is thoroughly thought-provoking. Most every reader will find elements in it to which he or she can relate. Christians of all maturity levels can benefit from this book.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Very thought provoking book based on good versus evil and human shortcomings.Published 20 hours ago by ilovelondon
Too much zigzagging. Maybe later on, when I get older and
be more patient I'll enjoy it.
Until then, good by.
One of my absolute favorite books!! It's amazing how much wisdom C.S. Lewis possesses and I highly recommend that everyone read this book at least once in their life. Read morePublished 4 days ago by MissyCool
This is an interesting discourse from a very different perspective. Gives good insight into the human condition and our points of temptation.Published 6 days ago by Backatheboat
Great classical book that challenges the reader. You can't go wrong with reading this piece of writing. Read morePublished 7 days ago by TK
The is one of the best books for anyone to read about the devious plans of Satan. C.S. Lewis risked his soul to delve into the darkness of the mentality of demons to write this... Read morePublished 8 days ago by FrBrass
It has many good points on the subtlety of Satan. It amazed me how many traps it is so easy to fall to.Published 10 days ago by leo langlois
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Christian Books & Bibles > Literature & Fiction > Classics & Allegories
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Classics
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > Humorous
- Books > Reference
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Literature & Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Classics > Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Christian
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Humor & Satire > General Humor
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Classics
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Religious & Inspirational Fiction > Contemporary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Christian Books & Bibles > Christian Fiction > Classics & Allegories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies & Reference > Christian Literature & Art
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Classics