Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning ballerss3 ballerss3,
image-map-link=rect  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 815 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,543 reviews
on May 24, 2017
I reread this book after my initial read several years ago, and it was just as enjoyable as my first. Ms. Hillenbrand's extremely well-researched story puts you right in the saddle alongside Seabiscuit jockeys Red Pollard and George Woolf. My Uncle Nori owned several thoroughbred race horses - most of them Claimers - and told me something that I had always taken as a trainer's unfounded superstition when he said, "...you can tell if a horse is ready to run by feeling his ankles." We were in a stable at Caliente Race Track at the time, and I was just 10 years old. Uncle Nori knelt beside his horse, Toro Tuck, and wrapped his hands around the horses lower leg. "Cold as ice," he smiled back at me. "He's ready to go today." I recall being up in the grandstands watching the finish of the race - and hearing my uncle yell his lungs out, "Look at him go! Look at him go!" When the results were posted, and Toro Tuck was declared the winner, I turned to my uncle and asked him if he had put any money on his horse. He smiled down at me and fanned about a half-dozen $100 Win tickets at me. Hillenbrand's book brought all these vivid memories rushing back to me, and verified the truth behind my uncle's insight into a thoroughbred's race readiness.
on February 23, 2015
First, I am grateful for Ms Hillenbrand's second book, Unbroken (an excellent book by itself). Otherwise I would not have discovered Seabiscuit. I read the book, Secretariat, by William Nack, but did not give much thought to reading Seabiscuit. I was so impressed with Laura Hillenbrand's story-telling ability, however, that I knew I had to read it. Second, the story's underlying theme is as relevant today as it was in the 1930s and 1940s: then, as now, our country needed something or someone to cheer for; a positive story, or a role model, to unify and uplift its people. And the human and equine qualities that defined the story's characters, such as the will to persevere against all odds, are timeless and are meticulously presented. And what more can I possibly say about Seabiscuit? Unlike Secretariat, a thoroughbred in every official sense, Seabiscuit lacked the conformation that thoroughbred horses usually possess. But what he lacked in structure, he possessed in spirit, courage and the unbounded ability to run. So, we can learn a lot from this horse, and this beautifully written story, if we pay attention. I highly recommend this book; you will marvel, shake your head in disbelief and you will cry, if you're inclined to do so.
on July 23, 2015
What a phenomenal writer she is! Horse racing has never been a subject I had much interest in nor knew much about, though I do love horses (from afar). But this book is so captivating and well written - as was the other book of hers that I read, "Unbroken"- that I could barely put it down. In this book, Ms Hillenbrand had the ability to uncover the back stories of so many of the players in Seabiscuit's life and racing career. She continuously drew out the most interesting and exciting pieces as she put together the whole story. While reading this book, I became so caught up in the characters and the progression of events; rooting for the jockey(s), the trainer, and of course Seabiscuit, himself, that I was truly sorry when I finished the book.
on April 22, 2017
This is am amazing book about an amazing horse and the humans who had faith in his greatness. The mater-of-fact description of the lengths to which jockeys went to make weight, the mortal danger they faced each time they rode and the abuse heaped upon them by owners and tracks was chilling. The descriptions of the races were thrilling and made me feel like I was there on the rail myself. This is a page turner with a heart as bid as its subject.
on July 17, 2017
This was absolutely fantastic!

While written in the same manner as Unbroken....this book just drew me in!

I absolutely loved learning about the ins and outs of horse racing

The story of Seabiscuit and Red Pollard is nothing short of awe inspiring.

It's a fabulous read.....don't let the historical aspect turn you off from it.

Loved it. A book to read again
on May 26, 2017
Well written. I felt like a true insider to the events. The author did a good job of gathering and analyzing the information available. The characters were believable and real. He gave a good understanding of the evolvement of not only the main characters but also of the sport. I enjoyed not only the story behind the legend of the horse but the knowledge gained about racing and the people and animals involved. There was not a a chapter that was boring.
on May 23, 2017
The author did extensive research to bring this historical event so everyone could read it. I am now fascinated with horse racing. I admit I skipped a few paragraphs where it did not interest me, but so well documented and organized. I could see those horses racing in the dust, rain, mud, and whatever else. The flair and flavors were there!
on May 24, 2017
An amazing story about how the lives of a simple brown horse, unknown trainer, and unlikely jockey came together, overcame problems and obstacles to become a force to be reckoned with on the racetrack! At a time of war and world turmoil, their story of hope and victory took the country by storm! The beginning detail sets the stage for the story to unfold in all it's glory. An uplifting must read!
on March 27, 2017
Wish I could have seen him in action. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I regretted every interruption in my reading of this book. I enjoyed it thoroughly.
on March 28, 2017
Very interesting even if you know nothing about thoroughbred racing in the old days and would like to. I know nothing about racing or even anything about horses but found this interesting. It is however a bit repetitive. To someone totally lacking in any knowledge of the subject a race is very much like every other race.